Community Message Boards

Thread: Okay to freeze spiced nuts?

Okay to freeze spiced nuts?

I searched for spiced nuts recipes (which I'll be making this year), but saw no advice on making ahead and freezing. Can I do this successfully? My dilemma is that I want to make them ahead of time and store them until Christmas Eve. What's the best way to store them and still have them fresh and tasty for the event?
    Any advice?
    TKay

I can't see why not, but you want them to be in an airtight container adn with as little air as possible (especially the ones with sugar) and then keep the container closed when they are thawed to avoid condensation and stickies.

I don't think you need to freeze them though. I think most would last from now until Christmas and probbaly a month or two so beyond without a problem if kept in an airtight container, cool and dry. You could refrigerate -- same issue as frozen though.

I have refrigerated ones I have been given if not eaten near that time.

So you think as long as they are stored properly (as you say, in an airtight container), I can make them now? That would be great. Thanks for the info.
    TKay

I just have to ask.....do nuts really, really, really taste the same after freezing? I've never done that before (but am also making spiced nuts this year...if my new BA recipe turns out well)

we made the candied curried pecans last year & had great success with freezing them in the containers we were giving them in (gladware square sparkly christmas colored containers). we made them, cooled to room temperature, & placed in the containers. then we covered with the press 'n seal to be sure we got rid of any additional air & popped them in the freezer.

they tasted fresh 3 weeks later & nobody knew the difference!
    What am I? Flypaper for Freaks?

As long as they are well packaged and protected, frozen nuts should taste just as good. I have frozen some plain ones and only once had an issue with a bag not being sealed well enough and them picking up a freezer flavor. And that would be over time.

Susan, I'm curious as to what recipe you're using. I've been perusing the bb to find mine. Care to share? (I'll likely make more than one kind.)
    TKay

These are my favorite holiday nuts- they're highly addictive!!! I buy the big bag of almonds at Sam's Club and go to town making these and my biscotti!

Sweet & Spicy Almonds

Preheat oven to 350.

Spread 2.5 cups unblanched almonds on a rimmed baking sheet; toast in oven until fragrant, about 10 mins. In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar, 1.5 tsp coarse salt and 1 tsp cayenne pepper.

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp water and 1 tsp oil, stirring well until combined.

Add almonds; coat evenly. Transfer nuts to sugar mixture (do not put extra glaze into the bowl); toss to coat. Cool nuts in a single layer on a parchment lined cookie sheet.

Store in an airtight container.

Christina

She's a Crafty Pumpkin
    Take time to explore the untraveled paths and secret gardens of this sweet life. ~unknown

TKay - the one I'm trying is from the Dec BA and has sugar, cinnamon & espresso powder (which I've never used before....and have to make a special trip to find, since my regular grocery didn't have it). I love coffee flavored things & think these will be fab. I'll try to find the actual recipe & post later if you want

There's a honey/rosemary one that is my current fav, although it's more savory & it seems other people prefer sweet over savory.

these are the candied curried pecans that we make that are highly in demand by family & friends:

CANDIED CURRIED PECANS
    Bon Appétit, November 2002

1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 1/4 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
    3/4 teaspoon curry powder
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons honey
    3 cups pecan halves

Preheat oven to 250°F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Mix onion powder, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, curry powder, and cayenne pepper in small bowl to blend.

Melt butter and honey with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add pecan halves and stir to coat; remove from heat. Add spice mixture and toss to coat pecans evenly. Spread pecans in single layer on prepared baking sheet.

Bake pecans until dry and toasted, about 40 minutes. Cool completely. Separate pecans. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)

Makes about 3 cups.
    What am I? Flypaper for Freaks?