Community Message Boards

Thread: How long will peanut brittle stay fresh?

How long will peanut brittle stay fresh?

Hi all,
    My daughter and I will be making gift bags of yummy homemade peanut brittle to give as gifts the week of Dec. 17th. It's always a big hit and often requested and I usually make it the weekend before I gift it. This year I will be packaging it in shimmery glassine bags tied with ribbon. Since we'll need to make 20 batches, I was hoping to begin preparing several batches this weekend in order to get a headstart.
    Any thoughts on whether it will still be fresh if I begin preparing some this weekend? I know you food mavens will know the answer. Thanks in advance.

Karen

I'd say it will be fine. I make peanut brittle often and though it usually doesn't last too long, it seems pretty stable. I just keep mine in a covered glass dish...maybe with some waxed paper between layers. I'm sure someone else will chime in on this that will know better than I do.

Depends on how dry you can keep it. Here (Houston area), I would keep it in something like tupperware if made ahead and bag it the day before. As long as it is kept dry and not subject to humid air or other dampness, it should be good for weeks. I know I've had it airtight for at least a month in the past. I have some in disposable rubbermaid containers inthe pantry right now -- about 2 weeks.

How many bags are you giving? We gave away a lot last year and the year before. I don't remember how many batches we made, but I would think something more like 10.

I buy peanut brittle that I guarantee is months old. It keeps fine as long as moisture doesn't get to it & make it sticky.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Thanks for the replies

Thanks to all of you for the prompt replies.
    We'll be making 17 bags and then also filling 3-4 med. to large tins to be mailed (some overseas). I'm hoping 20 batches will do it!

Thanks again.
    Karen

Karen, would you kindly share your brittle recipe. Thanks!
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Karen, are you doing microwave brittle? I still think that sounds like too much. We did 25 bags for DH to take to work and then more on top of that plus what we made for us. One batch would fill a medium to large tin -- or my recipe. It uses a pound of peanuts and 3 cups sugar if I remember correctly. WHile I wouldn't package it until you are ready to send or just before giving (especially as humid as it is here right now), but do a test bag when you make your first batch so you can judge how many you will need.

I know you can always find takers for extra peanut brittle, but I don't know anyone who has time to double their efforts this time of year. Let us know how it goes.

My peanut brittle recipe

Dorothy, it would be my pleasure to share this recipe.
    This is very delicious, super easy and always gets rave reviews. The reason why we have to make 17 bags is that my daughter and I made this for her colleagues at work last year and everyone is asking if she's doing it again this year! I've adapted a recipe that was originally posted by Linda C. at Allrecipes.com.

Microwave Oven Peanut Brittle

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups dry roasted peanuts (I use 1/3 salted & 2/3 unsalted)
    1 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    a pinch of salt
    1 tablespoon sweet butter, cut in half
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    PAM

Directions:
    1. Grease well a half-sheet pan or very large baking sheet. (I use a silpat and half-sheet pan). In a glass or microwave-safe bowl, combine the peanuts, sugar, corn syrup and salt. Stir with a spatula to lightly combine. Cook in the microwave for 5 1/2 minutes on High (700-900W) until the mixture is bubbly and the peanuts are lightly brown. Continue microwaving by 30 sec. increments until done but watch carefully as this burns quickly. (As you know, microwaves differ but this is the time I determined worked well in mine.) Spray a spatula and use the sprayed spatula to stir in the pieces of butter and the vanilla. Cook 2-3 minutes longer.

2. At this point, you have to work very quickly. Immediately stir in the baking soda, just until the mixture turns foamy. Pour the mixture onto the prepared pan and using a sprayed spatula, immediately spread it into the thinnest layer possible. Let cool a few minutes but score with a knife while it's still warm and pliable. If you've used a silpat, take care not to cut all the way through or you'll damage your silpat; you're just scoring it so you can more easily break it into pieces later.

3. Let sit 15 minutes or until set. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container. ENJOY!

Yours is a smaller recipe. A micro can't hand;e a full size batch and the one time I tried it, it boiled over anyway. I spent more time cleaning tha mess up than making a batch onthe stove, so I do mine the old fashioned way. I also like the flavor of raw peanuts cooked in the syrup.

DH was planning on taking bags of poeanut brittle this year. Then we made a lot of pepper jelly because he gets request for that anmd we were completely out. Then I started bottles of homemade vanilla for the teacher baskets, he wanted some of those too. Now he says I need to make peanut brittle. I'm not sure what he'll be carting in or how much I'm make, but I know there are a couple of his co-woprkers who say they get peanut brittle once a year and what a treat it is. Some even share with their spouses!

If you want to try the stovetop method, let me know. Sounds like you have your method down though.
    Last edited by Beth; 12-08-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Hi Beth,
    My microwave (which is quite large) handles this recipe easily and actually I do it in double batches. If you have the time, please try this peanut brittle recipe. It's very manageable and very delicious although it may be smaller than the one you've used. It really goes quite quickly and I haven't ever burned any batches. My daughter and I try to stay very organized, and we can do all of our batches in one day (and then we need a second day to package all of it). Last year my husband and younger daughter pitched in so with all those hands, it went very smoothly. This year we're on our own but it's great fun to do together. Actually, making peanut brittle together has become a new holiday tradition.

Either way, sounds like you have lots to do for the holidays. I hope it all goes smoothly and wish you very happy holidays. If you have any questions about the recipe, please feel free to ask. I've tried to re-write it adding all of the little "tricks" I've learned along the way so that whoever I share the recipe with will have an easier time.

Karen

FYI- A peanut brittle problem

Well, my daughter and I made 10 batches of peanut brittle yesterday, 7 with the traditional Karo light corn syrup with the red label and 3 with the new Karo light corn syrup currently on the shelves with a pink label. Much to our surprise ( and dismay!), all of the batches made with the pink label Karo syrup DID NOT HARDEN!!! They stayed gooey and chewy and not okay by my standards.
    Not sure what I'm going to do but I wanted to post to the bulletin board to let everyone know this problem exists. I'm going to have to look around to see if I can find the original Karo syrup but clearly they've changed the formula (the new bottle also says it contains real vanilla but that shouldn't impact upon its' hardening properties).
    Good luck everyone!
    Karen

That is really strange. I used the pink labeled one when I made some a few weeks ago and it turned out fine. (I used a microwave recipe.) I'm sorry to hear that - what a bummer!