Community Message Boards

Thread: My cheese won't melt!

My cheese won't melt!

I made Cheddar Beer Potato Soup this afternoon - it's a recipe I found on this board last winter and made a bunch of times last year. It has always worked out perfectly, until now.

The recipe calls for making the soup, blending it, adding the cheese and re-warming to melt the cheese. I used Sargento pre-shredded cheddar and a little Kraft cheddar brick cheese that I shredded myself. The cheese is currently sitting at the bottom of the pan in a gloppy mess that won't melt.

I normally use pre-shredded cheese that I buy in big bags at Costco, and I've never had a problem with it not melting. What the heck is up with this Sargento and Kraft? The soup still tastes pretty good, but I don't like the texture of the gloppy cheese in the bottom.

Is it possible at this point to get this cheese to melt?

Thanks
    Kim

Don't know if it's too late for you, but perhaps if you warmed it on a low flame and slowly increased the heat, whisking constantly, that would work?

Perhaps those cheeses are loaded with stabilizers and that's why they won't melt?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The Kraft block cheese isn't the problem -- it's the pre-shredded Sargento. Most pre-shredded cheese doesn't melt well because of the additives (such as corn starch) that prevent the cheese from sticking together in a blob in the bag. In fact, I'm surprised that the Costco pre-shredded cheese has worked in the past.

Any time I need smoothly-melted cheese, I use blocks and grate myself. I also dislike Sargento in general; I've never been happy with the texture of whatever I'm making when using it, and I don't think it has much taste.

Thanks for the ideas. I did try whisking over low heat, but that didn't help.

I also do not like Sargento - it's always tasted and acted like plastic. On the occasion or two we've had it in the house, I've been disappointed.

Guess I'll chalk this pot of soup up to experience and grate my own cheese from here on out.

Thanks!

I usually use Kraft shredded cheeses when adding them to soups and the like - I've never had a problem. (knock on wood )

My wife topped her lasagna with Kraft pre-shredded mozza recently. It didn't melt. We were perplexed until now, thanks for the info.

was either cheese low fat? i've found that sometimes the low fat cheeses don't melt.

i don't think the cornstarch in the preshredded cheese would make a difference. most fondue recipes call for cornstarch or flour added to the cheese.

Cheese can seize up - I'm not sure what causes it but maybe too much at once without enough stiring or adding it to something too hot?
    Anne

This thread was bumped up from four years ago
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Woops, didn't notice that, thanks Canice.
    Anne