Community Message Boards

Thread: Rolling pin with a guide so dough doesn't get thin/uneven?

Rolling pin with a guide so dough doesn't get thin/uneven?

I made peppermint swirl cookie dough and I always have trouble with the middle of the dough being thicker than the ends (roll into a 16 x 10 rectangle...).

I know there are rolling pins with guides out there. I found this one but I don't think that's what I want because the only guide is for 1/8 inch which is super thin for cookies (I'm not a fondant girl!).

Are there any with adjustable guides or made for cookies specifically?

Loren

Editing to add - this one is the other extreme price-wise and of course I'd never spend that much but I'd also want handles like a regular rolling pin.
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Why not get rolling pin spacers like AB used on his show Good Eats?
    Here is a link to Amazon for some.

I use these whenever I roll out dough - they just slip onto the pin and make it so easy!

Rolling pin bands

Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyinMN View Post
    I use these whenever I roll out dough - they just slip onto the pin and make it so easy!

Rolling pin bands
    LOL, that's exactly the same link I posted. Great minds!

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for! I really don't need a new rolling pin but I was stuck for search terms ("band" did not enter my mind!)

Off to Amazon - thanks guys!

Loren

Editing to add - $6.95 for the bands and $8.99 shipping!!!!!

I just ordered them with free shipping ($5.50 total) here!!!

Thanks again!

Loren

Loren,
    You'll love using the rings. I did have to buy a new rolling pin because I only had to old-style with the handles and the rings wouldn't fit it, too large. Now that I've had them for a couple of years I can't imagine how I ever rolled dough. I certainly never got it thin enough for some things.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Gracie,
    Thanks you! I also just ordered them from the website you listed. I had been looking at them at Amazon, but they weren't eligible for free shipping there. They'll work great w/ the new rolling pin Santa's bringing me for Christmas!

Another option is one used by potters: Get strips of wood the thickness you want the dough to be and place one on each side of the dough. If I were going to buy something for the purpose I'd probably go with the rings, but at my house theres a plethora of wood in various thickness and sizes so this is a "free" alternative

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    Loren,
    You'll love using the rings. I did have to buy a new rolling pin because I only had to old-style with the handles and the rings wouldn't fit it, too large. Now that I've had them for a couple of years I can't imagine how I ever rolled dough. I certainly never got it thin enough for some things.
    Well I'm not sure how mine will work either. Right now I have the French wooden rolling pin with no handles.

but I am already excited for the rings to arrive!

Loren

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    Well I'm not sure how mine will work either. Right now I have the French wooden rolling pin with no handles.

but I am already excited for the rings to arrive!

Loren
    I have a tapered French one but bought a straight one because I didn't want to lose too much rolling area. Which would have happened on the tapered pin.

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    I have a tapered French one but bought a straight one because I didn't want to lose too much rolling area. Which would have happened on the tapered pin.
    yes that's what I'm thinking - that they'll fit but go way in. I'll figure it out - it's worth it for the rings!

Loren

Thanks again!

Loren
    Woo hoo! I just ordered them too. What a great find Thanks!
    Lori
    Blog: www.RecipeGirl.com/blog
    Another blog: www.CulinaryCovers.com
    www.Twitter.com/RecipeGirl
    Good food, fine wine... what a beautiful day!

I have them but I must not know how to use them because my dough is still thicker in the middle. I also put 2 sticks beside the dough. I just bought a really heavy rolling pin with no handles. What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by madpots View Post
    I have them but I must not know how to use them because my dough is still thicker in the middle. I also put 2 sticks beside the dough. I just bought a really heavy rolling pin with no handles. What am I doing wrong?

Do you roll from the middle out, rotate and flip your dough? Ease up on the pressure as you get near the edges of the dough...more in the middle, less on the outside.

Thanks again!

Loren
    Oh, and I thank you, too! I've been wanting these, and didn't know what to call them! Not that I'll use them often, but a cook just has to have all the toys!!!!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I didn't know these exsisted - I just ordered mine too, Thanks

Gee Whiz I should get a commission/free rings from the Viking Store!!!

Loren

I am off to order those, too. I made rugelach a week ago and had a heck of a time rolling out the dough to the correct size and thickness. I am rolling pin challenged anyway, so anything to make the job easier, I'm there!

Sneezles, now that I think about it I believe that I roll from the outside in. I am going to make a batch tonight and I will try. I noticed Paula Deen was rolling from the middle. I think I start in the middle, so I will work on that. Thanks for the tip.

My bands arrived yesterday! Via Fed Ex (for free!). Very nicely wrapped in tissue paper with a silver Viking seal.

It made me feel like I'd spent way more than $5.50!

Did anyone else get theirs yet?

Loren

I got mine too!!! I have never been so anxious to make pie crust!
    Karen

I got mine Wednesday! Beautifully wrapped and delivered Fed-Ex! $5.50 What a deal for such service!

I hope this isn't off subject, but I bought a 20" x 3" dia heavy regular rolling pin for Thanksgiving pies- What an improvement this has made in my dough rolling consistency and ease! I was just having feelings of love for this pin as I rolled sugar cookie dough to perfect thickness, without struggling.

I bought Julia Child's original show DVDs, and she said to throw away little rolling pins, and go for a big pin, sometimes she preferred French pins, and other times a big Heavy Pin like I just got. Why did I wait so long with a tiny grocery store pin?

It is a night and day difference, I'm in love, and I was thinking of getting this pin for a special gift to cooking friends or family in the future.

Just thought I'd give some of you ideas for your Christmas gift cards.

Good luck.

Ok, so mine arrived today, in a plain, unmarked white envelope. WTH?!? Where's my beautifully packaged FedEx box? Where's my fancy silver Viking seal? :mad:

I'm curious if anyone else's comes this way. Maybe they realized they are losing money on the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
    Ok, so mine arrived today, in a plain, unmarked white envelope. WTH?!? Where's my beautifully packaged FedEx box? Where's my fancy silver Viking seal? :mad:

I'm curious if anyone else's comes this way. Maybe they realized they are losing money on the deal.
    Mine had a fancy silver Viking seal inside the package (to seal the white paper wrapped around the bands). I used them today... they worked. That's all I care about!
    Lori
    Blog: www.RecipeGirl.com/blog
    Another blog: www.CulinaryCovers.com
    www.Twitter.com/RecipeGirl
    Good food, fine wine... what a beautiful day!

When I was at the baking supply store Friday night, I saw a big, heavy pin with the guides. I snapped it up, even though I have a perfectly good French pin. OMG--rolling cooking dough was SO easy. I just couldn't believe it. It's so nice to have perfectly even cut-out cookies. I love it.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.