Community Message Boards

Thread: Sometimes shipping costs are just outrageous

Thumbs down Sometimes shipping costs are just outrageous

I recently saw these really cute silicone eggshells in Redbook magazine. They were only $6.99 and I thought they would make a good stocking stuffer - for me . Anyway, I went to the website, added them to my basket, and then entered my zip for the shipping charges. OMG - they want $30.50 to send these . I realize that Hawaii is a distance and that it takes longer and costs more, but come give me a break. They could use those priority paid boxes and add some handling fees and it sure would be cheaper for the consumer. I am willing to pay a bit more because of my location but this is just ridiculous.

This is what they look like.

All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Ouch - sometimes it costs to live in paradise !

If it makes you feel any better, it cost me $38 to mail 2 packages to Canada yesterday (and they weren't huge boxes, either).
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Yes, I ordered my Christmas cards from Shutterfly and they were very reasonable priced. But then shipping was $12.50! For a lightweight box of Christmas cards! It didn't cost me much more than that in postage when I mailed each one individually.

ETA: But I did get a great deal on shipping from Amazon. I drew my BIL's name in our family gift exchange and one of the items on his wish list was a Lodge 7-quart Dutch oven with lid. Amazon had it at a great price--$38-something. But I thought, "Okay, that price may be great but it will cost a fortune to ship such a heavy thing." Nope--FREE SHIPPING!
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

Quote Originally Posted by ___Rhianna___ View Post
    Yes, I ordered my Christmas cards from Shutterfly and they were very reasonable priced. But then shipping was $12.50! For a lightweight box of Christmas cards! It didn't cost me much more than that in postage when I mailed each one individually.
    You know, it seems like Snapfish's postage has gone up a lot too. The other day I ordered 4 small, flat ornaments when they were half off, but then by the time I check out and see postage, I thought "ouch!"....but I had already gone to some much trouble uploading and designing the darn things I didn't want to just say "forget it".
    Amy

Om Mani Padme Hum

Felice I know what you mean about shipping. I purchased a moon glass ornament by Richard Hunt for a Christmas present for a friend.

It weighs nothing and for me to send it to Toronto cost me the same as the purchase price. Outrageous :mad: Our snail mail rates are becoming more expensive each year.
    Maureen

"Trying to live the life I imagined"

I recently paid $12 for a nylon football jersey for my son. I mean I paid $12 in shipping charges! The darn thing weighs in at about 1/2 pound. And it was shipped in a plastic bag, not even a box.

So I hear you and I agree! I wonder if the shipping companies are actually charging the 'Shipee" that amount, or if they are trying to cover all their "free shipping" given at some point by ratcheting up the shipping all the rest of the time!
    barbara-cook

I was just on Amazon ordering some books for my nieces and nephews, and I added a pre-order book for me. So, I checked ship items as they become available so I would get the gift books now and not when the pre-order book was in stock.

Here is the summary of my order:

Items: $98.74
    Shipping & Handling: $155.74
    Gold Box Discount: -$0.20
    4-for-3 Promotion: -$7.98
    Pre-order Guarantee: -$0.00

Total Before Tax: $246.30
    Estimated Tax: $0.00
    Order Total: $246.30

Needless to say, I dumped the pre-order book, and then choose the super-saver free shipping option.
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

Quote Originally Posted by barbara-cook View Post
    I recently paid $12 for a nylon football jersey for my son. I mean I paid $12 in shipping charges! The darn thing weighs in at about 1/2 pound. And it was shipped in a plastic bag, not even a box.

So I hear you and I agree! I wonder if the shipping companies are actually charging the 'Shipee" that amount, or if they are trying to cover all their "free shipping" given at some point by ratcheting up the shipping all the rest of the time!
    I think I addressed this on another thread but I will say it again, I think $12 shipping is pretty reasonable. Remember, these are shipping and handling charges and they have to pay insurance on the shipment. I'd guess they paid their shipper around $8-9 so $3-4 for handling is reasonable (packing materials, time etc) to me.

I agree that $38 is excessive and $155 is CRAZY!

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by SDMomChef View Post
    I was just on Amazon ordering some books for my nieces and nephews, and I added a pre-order book for me. So, I checked ship items as they become available so I would get the gift books now and not when the pre-order book was in stock.
    Just FYI - if you include a preorder in your order, Amazon won't wait until it's published to ship the entire order, even with super saver shipping. I preordered the HP book last June, and included a couple other books to get free shipping. The other books shipped right away, and HP came when it was released. HTH!
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Oh my gosh, Gecko, that's craziness. I used to be a big mail-order person. I bought almost all my clothes that way. I've really had to change my ways. The shipping and handling charges are ridiculous.
    Btw, Robyn, I love your new avatar.
    TKay

Quote Originally Posted by TKay View Post
    Btw, Robyn, I love your new avatar.
    Thanks! I was doing that this morning and having connection issues so I wasn't sure it worked and then forgot to check here. That was taken by myself on my first lift ride of the season.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

These aren't as cute, but without the jagged edges, they might be easier to clean and they qualify for free shipping on Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    These aren't as cute, but without the jagged edges, they might be easier to clean and they qualify for free shipping on Amazon
    I agree that they aren't as cute but the shipping is only $4.99. I will just have to go with these I guess. The reason I was so annoyed about the other ones is that regular shipping to the contiguous US is only $5.50. I just don't see how they can justify an extra $25.00.

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ClaraB View Post
    Just FYI - if you include a preorder in your order, Amazon won't wait until it's published to ship the entire order, even with super saver shipping. I preordered the HP book last June, and included a couple other books to get free shipping. The other books shipped right away, and HP came when it was released. HTH!
    That's good to know! I think the shipping was so high because they charged separate shipping per book. I about fell out of my chair. Now...let's just hope that they arrive using the free shipping method before 12/24!
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

You might want to also call and talk to somebody. I ordered curtains from Restoration Hardware a few years back. I think the total came to several hundred dollars. The website was basing the shipping charges on the price of the object . . . which was ridiculous. A piece of furniture that cost that much would weigh a great deal more. So I called and they lowered the shipping. Not sure if they would have charged me the higher shipping if I hadn't called or if when they went to ship it, they would have adjusted the charges appropriately.
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

Quote Originally Posted by armel View Post
    You might want to also call and talk to somebody. I ordered curtains from Restoration Hardware a few years back. I think the total came to several hundred dollars. The website was basing the shipping charges on the price of the object . . . which was ridiculous. A piece of furniture that cost that much would weigh a great deal more. So I called and they lowered the shipping. Not sure if they would have charged me the higher shipping if I hadn't called or if when they went to ship it, they would have adjusted the charges appropriately.
    I sent them an email explaining that I would love to order but the shipping was high. I asked if they could look into it and this was the email I received from them:

"Hi F.G.
    These are our standard shipping rates, as we ship from our warehouse in New Jersey using UPS. For more information on our shipping rates, please click here: http://www.kitchenkapers.com/info.html#ship."

So I guess that is the end of that.

I went on the UPS site and pretended I was shipping a small box from Trenton NJ to Honolulu HI. They were charging $22. That didn't even include the box, etc. That is why the company is charging such an outrageous amount . . . because that is what UPS charges them.

That just ****s
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

I just spent $167 at the UPS store to make sure the gifts would 'get there by Christmas" 4 boxes to different locations but in all the contents probably totaled about $200. Lovely.