Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Interesting side dishes to serve with ham

ISO: Interesting side dishes to serve with ham

I hate how the search function doesn't work for three letter words like ham!

I'm having a pretty big crowd over on Christmas day this year. There will be too many people to sit at a table, so I'm thinking about doing a more casual buffet-style dinner, especially since we'll be having a more formal dinner on Christmas Eve. I think I'm going to do a glazed ham from Epicurious (glazed with Bourbon, maple syrup and pecans, I think...). I'm trying to think of some interesting side dishes though. I have been considering making Giada's butternut squash lasagna, would that go ok? What else? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not familiar with Giada's lasagna, but this butternut gratin always gets rave reviews.

Butternut Squash Gratin with Rosemary Breadcrumbs

This recipe from Epicurious is one of my all time favorites -- I have never made it for anyone who hasn't swooned over it.

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
    4 cups thinly sliced onions (about 1 pound)
    2 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    3/4 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
    2 cups fresh breadcrumbs made from soft white bread
    2 cups (packed) grated sharp white cheddar cheese
    1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until onions are light golden, about 8 minutes. Add squash; sauté 4 minutes. Sprinkle sugar, salt and pepper over vegetables; sauté until onions and squash begin to caramelize, about 5 minutes.

Spread vegetable mixture in prepared dish. Pour chicken broth over. Cover tightly with foil and bake 45 minutes. (Squash mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Reheat in 350°F oven until heated through, about 10 minutes.)

Increase oven temperature to 400°F. Mix breadcrumbs, cheese, rosemary and thyme in medium bowl. Sprinkle over gratin. Bake uncovered until top is golden brown and crisp, about 30 minutes.

Makes 10 servings.

Here's another that's the perfect accompaniment to ham. Sounds a little strange, but believe me it tastes great!

Pineapple and Cheese Casserole

1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drain and keep juice
    3 tablespoons flour
    1/4 cup sugar (I only use a couple tablespoons)
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    4 tablespoons melted butter
    1 cup crushed Ritz, or any buttery cracker

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 1 quart casserole dish combine flour, sugar and 3 tablespoons of the pineapple juice. Add cheese and pineapple and stir. Mix cracker crumbs with melted butter. Cover casserole with crumbs. Bake 25 minutes or until heated through. Great with ham or pork chops. Recipe can be doubled, tripled or quadrupled depending on how many you are serving. Heat longer for larger amounts.

Macaroni and Cheese or a potato cassarole would go well with him. CL also had an onion bread pudding type recipe a year or two ago that was really good!
    Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty100 View Post
    Macaroni and Cheese or a potato cassarole would go well with him.
    And would go well with ham as well! But if it's good looking him then even better!

A potato gratin with bacon and gruyere would be wonderful and even a spinach dish would be nice.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I made a ham last night-Nigella's with Coke. I like something fruity to go with ham, so I made sauteed apples and pears with brandy, brown sugar , butter, and cinnamon. Deelsih. I turned the gas off under the pan before I added the brandy and whoosh! I guess the butter and sugar were quite warm. The DGKs liked this as well. This can be made ahead and reheated before serving.

Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    And would go well with ham as well! But if it's good looking him then even better!

A potato gratin with bacon and gruyere would be wonderful and even a spinach dish would be nice.
    LOL!! ooops!
    Go for it!

My absolute favorite would be Baked Fruit. The smell of it alone is worth making this recipe. It's a staple in our family for the holidays and it goes great with ham. Let's see... I think I've posted it on here before.

okay, here it is...

Mary's Baked Fruit

Increase/decrease fruit amts. per preference

1 lg can cling peach halves
    1 lg can pineapple slices
    1 lg can pear halves
    1/3 cup butter
    3/4 cup light brown sugar
    2-4 tsp. curry powder (we use 2)

1. Drain fruit and dry on paper towels. Absorb as much moisture as possible.
    2. Arrange fruit in casserole dish.
    3. Melt butter, then add brown sugar and curry. spoon over the fruit.
    4. Bake 1 hour in 325-350 degree oven.

Serves 4-6--- of course you can double/ triple the recipe!

Enjoy!

Christina

She's a Crafty Pumpkin
    Take time to explore the untraveled paths and secret gardens of this sweet life. ~unknown

How about a wild rice dish? Yummy!
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

I'm making ham also. For sides, I'm planning on:

mac and cheese casserole ( my sister makes)

sweet potato casserole with streusal topping (CL)

sangria cranberry sauce(from this site)

southern California Collard Greens ( haven't tried, but got great reviews FN)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._20758,00.html

When we have ham we almost always have potato salad, and often deviled eggs.

P.S. It's too funny that Nigella has a ham recipe using Coke ... that is a VERY old school Southern way of preparing ham, had it many times as a kid. Yum.

We had Rancho Gordo's Good Mother Stallard beans with some ham steak tonight. They went really well together. So, how about a nice big bowl of RG beans? Totally casual and buffet friendly and way good.

MMM - the butternut squash gratin looks great! I think it would be a nice accompaniment to ham.

Great looking ideas! I just found out one of my guests is on a gluten-free diet, so maybe that gratin would be better than the lasagna. It is possible to buy gluten-free bread for the bread crumbs, right? I'm pretty sure I saw gluten-free products at Whole Foods.

How long does it take to receive a RG bean order? I've been wanting to try those.

I've been thinking about doing a pineapple stuffing or casserole thing. I might give that a test run this week.

I do like the fruit idea, although the ham does come with a tangerine chutney on the side. I also have someone who wants to bring homemade cranberry sauce. Not sure if the cranberry and tangerine go together, but.. oh well. I'm sure it will be fine.

Mmmm. Hadn't thought of deviled eggs. I think I might add those to the appetizer list.

This is timely because I was just asking DH what we should have when his family comes over... I'm a big fan of buffet style so I don't have to stress pulling it all together at the last minute; I'm going to do a ham with mac and cheese and baked beans as sides; sandwich fixings optional for the ham so maybe a potato salad or something too. I always make too much food though! There are only 8 people and I have a crazy amount of appetizers planned because I like variety.

Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage

This is very tasty and doesn't have to stay steamy hot to be enjoyed:

Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage

3lbs. red cabbage
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup butter
    2 T red wine vinegar
    1 T sugar
    Salt and pepper
    1/2 cup red currant jelly

Shred cabbage. Discard tough parts.
    Cook in butter, stirring for 3-4 min.
    Add water, vinegar and sugar.
    Cover and simmer for 1 hr.
    Add jelly and salt and pepper to taste.

Heres a rice dish we love and can be made earlier in the day or the day before, its served cold--

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rice - Wild Rice and Apricot and Almond Salad

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 packages Wild and Long Grain Rice (Near East)
    OR 12 oz uncooked wild rice
    3 1/2 cups chicken broth

1 cup apricots, dried,chopped (6oz)
    1/2 cup dried cranberries (or currants)

1 cup almonds, toasted, chopped
    2/3 cup red onion, chopped
    1/2 cup parsley or cilantro ( I left out )

Dressing
    6 tablespoons Tarragon vinegar
    4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup olive oil ( I USE ONLY 1/2 cup )

Bring chicken broth to a boil and add 1 Tlb butter and Rice and seasoning packet.
    Bring back to a boil, then turn down and cover and let simmer to cook for about 25 min.
    When rice is done, drain off any excess liquid if any (probably won't be )

Mix in apricots and cranberries into the rice and set aside to cool completely

Toast almonds and when rice is COOL - mix almonds, onion and parsley in to rice.

Make dressing- Whisk tarragon vinegar and mustard and garlic together and then gradually whisk in olive oil.

Mix dressing into rice a little at a time to your taste - I used all ( The oil has been cut in half - so I find that this is just the right amount. )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Creamed spinach recipe from Barefoot Contessa. Served this with ham at Easter it disappeared in a hurry. Even my husband had seconds.

Here's what I'm serving with ham this weekend. I love this casserole.

Carrot Soufflé

Because this dish contains no beaten egg whites, it is not a true soufflé the name is derived from its light airy texture. Similar in color and flavor to sweet potato casserole, it pairs well with ham or turkey.

7 cups chopped carrot (about 2 pounds)
    2/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 large eggs, lightly beaten
    Cooking spray
    1 teaspoon powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350°.
    Cook carrot in boiling water 15 minutes or until very tender; drain. Place carrot in a food processor; process until smooth. Add granulated sugar and next 7 ingredients (granulated sugar through eggs); pulse to combine.

Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until puffed and set. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)

CALORIES 187 (25% from fat); FAT 5.1g (sat 2.5g,mono 1.6g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 4.2g; CHOLESTEROL 88mg; CALCIUM 86mg; SODIUM 233mg; FIBER 3.5g; IRON 1.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 32.3g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2002
    Sue

Women are Angels
    And when someone breaks our wings, our spirit, or our hearts...
    We simply continue to fly.........
    on a broomstick...
    We are flexible like that ....

You should try a Cranberry Stuffing Eggroll. I had them at my Christmas party last year and they were a huge hit! Simply stuff the eggroll with the Cranberry Stuffing for the Food Network's website.