Community Message Boards

Thread: Down v. Down Alternative

Down v. Down Alternative

This is a trivial point, I know....but we've had 2 snowstorms in one weekend so I went out to get some blankets/comforters. I'm a big fan of "down blankets" over the past couple of years since Lauren pointed out their existence to me. They allow layering over the course of the night, put a few on the bed and it's temperature control instead of one heavy down comforter. Anyway, last year I bought a great "down throw" at TJMaxx and I went out to get another one (had looked at TJ Maxx and didn't find one)....I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and found a great "down blanket" and also a down throw (smaller size). Brought both home and it turns out the down throw is "down alternative" which is simply polyester filled which in my mind, is clearly not as warm. The down blanket is great. Not like me not to notice that the down throw was polyester but I just thought I'd point the "down" versus the "down alternative" marketing out to others.
    Have a Happy Holiday Season!

Here's where I bought my down comforter. It's pricey, but it's the warmest comforter I've found. I actually had to exchange the one I originally got because it was too warm. (And I'm someone who gets really cold at night).

http://www.dewoolfsondown.com/

Libra,
    Thanks for the link...I'll check it out!

The basic difference between the two is for those who suffer allergies. Are you saying you find the "alternative" blanket to be less warm?

Yes, my experience was that the "down alternative" throw was not as warm.
    Do you think that they are because if so, I'll take another look at them....

Quote Originally Posted by CindyWeightWatcher View Post
    Yes, my experience was that the "down alternative" throw was not as warm.
    Do you think that they are because if so, I'll take another look at them....
    But, if you haven't had a problem with an allergic reaction to down, then why switch to the down alternative? I, personally, prefer to stick to the natural materials and I agree with you that down is warmer than the alternative.

My first down blanket was a lightweight, because I live in the deep south. The past few years the amount of escaping feathers has become an issue. Today I bought a down-alternative comforter/blanket at Penney's. Next time I change the sheets I'll put it on the bed. I'll let you know then what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Libra20 View Post
    But, if you haven't had a problem with an allergic reaction to down, then why switch to the down alternative? I, personally, prefer to stick to the natural materials and I agree with you that down is warmer than the alternative.
    It sounds like she picked up the down alternative by mistake.

I think DA is less warm too, I grabbed one by mistake and took it right back when I realized what I had. I prefer down. Down coats, down blankets, down vests - all good stuff here in frozen Michigan!
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

I bought a down alternative (primaloft) comforter several years ago because my allergies had gotten worse and my allergist recommended not using down bedding. I've never been able to use that particular comforter because it is so warm - it's warmer than any real down comforter I've ever used.

Now, I'm back to using down and have a very nice, heavy weight, real down comforter that keeps us toasty, without overheating us like the down alternative did.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    My first down blanket was a lightweight, because I live in the deep south. The past few years the amount of escaping feathers has become an issue.
    I've had my down comforter for 5 or 6 years and I don't remember losing any feathers. A comforter can be designed to not lose feathers.
    Here's a description of how mine is made and the kind of material used. You can see why the feathers do not escape.

"Our European Baffled Box is constructed from "the inside out" into square boxes that are separated by a series of baffles. These baffles permit the comforter to expand so that the down can reach its maximum loft, while still holding the down securely in place. Each box is individually filled with the exact amount of down required. The fabric is woven by mills that are famous for producing the world's most technologically advanced downproof fabric. The weave, finish, and engineering of this fabric produce a light weight ticking with a wonderfully silky feel, while assuring strength, durability and years of enjoyment."

The downside it that all this makes it much more expensive. But I know that it will last.