Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brand spiral ham

What brand spiral ham

Because I will be very pregnant (so of course, everyone is coming here ) I'm trying to keep Christmas dinner simple. I want to do a spiral ham but I'm not sure what brand to get. My store carries 4 or 5 different ones and I'd love to get a good one on sale. There is a pretty big price difference.

What brands do you like?

Thanks, Pam

Is there a Honey Baked Hams store near you? That's the only one we eat.

I'm getting a Kirkland one from Costco on Friday. We've had several of theirs and they are always delicious. They also cost about half what a HoneyBaked Ham does.
    Sue

Women are Angels
    And when someone breaks our wings, our spirit, or our hearts...
    We simply continue to fly.........
    on a broomstick...
    We are flexible like that ....

I also am getting the Costco one! Going Friday morning. Can't wait, always get rave reviews about the ham
    Though a flower may not bloom, In our heart, We still know the beauty of it's blossom

We usually get a Cure 81. The grocery store butcher recommended it to my dad several years ago, and it has always turned out very well.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

How does the Costco spiral ham compare to the Honeybaked Ham? My SIL is talking about getting one from Costco for our Christmas Eve dinner but there is a Honeybaked Ham store nearby. Is it worth the extra $$$ to go to the Honeybaked store?
    Lori
    Blog: www.RecipeGirl.com/blog
    Another blog: www.CulinaryCovers.com
    www.Twitter.com/RecipeGirl
    Good food, fine wine... what a beautiful day!

Quote Originally Posted by RecipeGirl View Post
    How does the Costco spiral ham compare to the Honeybaked Ham? My SIL is talking about getting one from Costco for our Christmas Eve dinner but there is a Honeybaked Ham store nearby. Is it worth the extra $$$ to go to the Honeybaked store?
    Even if they cost the same amount, I'd still get the Costco one. I've gotten a few from HoneyBaked that weren't that good. I've had 3 from Costco and everyone was fabulous.
    Sue

Women are Angels
    And when someone breaks our wings, our spirit, or our hearts...
    We simply continue to fly.........
    on a broomstick...
    We are flexible like that ....

Quote Originally Posted by sfarler View Post
    Even if they cost the same amount, I'd still get the Costco one. I've gotten a few from HoneyBaked that weren't that good. I've had 3 from Costco and everyone was fabulous.
    Good to know!! I will pass that info. along to my SIL... THANK YOU!
    Lori
    Blog: www.RecipeGirl.com/blog
    Another blog: www.CulinaryCovers.com
    www.Twitter.com/RecipeGirl
    Good food, fine wine... what a beautiful day!

We love the ones from Trader Joe's. (I think same supplier sells all over under different brand names.)

I think I saw on Martha the other day that during this holiday season, she will be selling her own "brand" of ham only at Costco.

Here's a link to read more about it...

http://www.reuters.com/article/press...07+PRN20071207
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

I like HoneyBaked as you can tell them what size. Costco always seems like everything is just huge and then there's too much waste for my little family.

The best thing about HoneyBaked is the crunchy glaze, but I got one two years ago & spent over $50 and the glaze had turned to syrup by the next day. Will never buy them again. Costco has really good hams & there are recipes for making glazes on your own. If you have a torch for creme brulee it works very well, but not necessary. IMO I'd save the $$. I saw the segment on Martha's hams, but they're not spiral sliced.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

My husband got a Hormel Spiral Ham from work recently and it was very salty. It's the first time that we have ever had that brand so I don't know if its the norm.

I have bought them at Costco and they have been good.

I read a review recently and can't remember who came out on top. I think it was Cooks Illustrated - I'll see if I can find it.

I've always done the Honey Baked ham but am thinking of getting one from Costco. I looked at them and see they have a packet to make the glaze. Has anyone made the glaze? I spend a small fortune at Honey Baked....

We love the glaze on the Costco ham. One year I didn't use it and the next I did and got rave reviews. I don't only drizzle the glaze but brush it between the slices and heat more YUM
    Though a flower may not bloom, In our heart, We still know the beauty of it's blossom

I never made a Costco ham, do you just add water to the pkg. of glaze? It sounds like it makes a lot. I'll think I'll try one this year.

if I remember correctly, yes you just add water to the mixture on the stove bring to a boil then brush on.

Do you all heat your spiral sliced ham? The Honey Baked people recommend just letting the ham come to room temperature (or taking out of the refrigerator an hour before serving). That's what I have usually done. But some people like hot ham (it seems to me it cools off very quickly, though).

Last year, I bought a different brand of spiral ham, at the grocery, and heated it in the oven, but the juices baked out of the ham and it was dry on all of those cut edges, despite being covered with foil. That experience has made me wary of heating up spiral cut hams.

What are you all doing with your hams?

I'm

I always serve to Costco ham and get rave reviews. I use Barefoot Contessa's glaze recipe. Definitely delicious and half the cost.

C

The spiral hams from Sam's Club are really good too. I think they are better than the honey baked as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineB View Post
    I always serve to Costco ham and get rave reviews. I use Barefoot Contessa's glaze recipe. Definitely delicious and half the cost.

C
    Are you referring to BContessa's Virginia Baked Ham? It calls for a "country ham"; what is a "country" ham, anyway?

I agree with the mixed reviews on Honeybaked. I have had good luck buying any grocery-store spiral-sliced ham and making this recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Blackberry-Mustard Glazed Ham

Recipe By :Excellent and easy.
    Serving Size : 20
    Categories : Entertaining Fast or Easy Family Meal
    Main Dish Make Ahead/SOME last-min prep

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    5 pounds smoked, bone-in, fully cooked ham half -- with 33% less sodium if possible (I always buy spiral-cut--it's easier to serve, and the glaze penetrates the ham better.)

1/2 cup apple juice
    13 ounces seedless blackberry preserves -- being sure not to get the seeds-in type (any store brand is fine; you don't need the expensive kind)
    7 1/3 ounces whole-grain Dijon mustard -- such as Grey Poupon Country Dijon

Fresh blackberries, oregano, and/or
    flat-leaf parsley for optional garnish on
    platter

SEVERAL STEPS CAN BE DONE AHEAD OF TIME. Trim fat and rind from ham.
    Unless ham is spiral-cut, score outside of ham in a diamond pattern. Place
    ham into any type of dish; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Pull
    out a ham-serving platter and a small gravy boat or bowl.

Line a broiler pan with foil for easy cleanup (you really need this step,
    as the glaze will cook onto the pan). Spray the top of the broiler-pan
    tray with cooking spray, and then cover it with foil also; slit the foil
    where the broiler pan has slits. Adjust oven rack and place pan into oven
    until it's needed.

Combine juice, preserves, and mustard in two medium bowls, stirring until
    well combined: place half of each ingredient into each bowl. (This is much
    easier than halving the mixture later). Cover and refrigerate.

ABOUT 2 1/2 HOURS BEFORE DINNER, or a little longer: take ham from
    refrigerator and let it sit out for 30-45 minutes. This step is optional,
    as the ham's fully cooked already anyway; you're just getting the chill
    off.

ABOUT 2 HOURS BEFORE DINNER, preheat oven to 350°. Transfer ham to
    prepared broiler pan. Pull one container of preserves mixture from fridge;
    baste ham with mixture.

Bake ham at 350° for 1 1/2 hours. (Original recipe says to bake it until a
    thermometer registers 140°, and yet it says to buy a precooked ham--just
    stick the ham in the oven & don't worry about it. Another good reason to
    buy precooked.) Every 20 minutes, baste ham with preserves mixture. You
    should use up all the mixture by the time the ham's done.

ABOUT 15-20 MINUTES BEFORE DINNER, transfer unused half of the preserves
    mixture into a wide-mouthed saucepan. Cook
    about 15 minutes until mixture is reduced to about a cup (depending on
    serving size of original recipe; one cup is based on ratios for 5-pound
    ham--just let it get reduced somewhat; it'll be fine).

As sauce is cooking, remove ham from oven. Place ham on a platter; cover
    and let stand 15 minutes before slicing.

Serve sauce with ham, on the side (children don't seem to like the sauce's
    berry-Dijon flavor, but adults love it).

Description:
    "Easy entertaining; much can be done ahead of time."
    Source:
    "Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2006"
    S(Internet Address):
    ""
    Start to Finish Time:
    "3:00"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 264 Calories; 15g Fat (52.1%
    calories from fat); 18g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
    62mg Cholesterol; 195mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1
    1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : I like oval Fiestaware for serving the ham; just choose a pretty color that contrasts with the meat.

This classic recipe will be well received at all of your holiday gatherings; try it with any flavor of fruit preserves you enjoy.

Wine notes from Cooking Light: Smoked ham is a wine challenge--the dominance of the smoke usually ends up making wine taste like water. But one part of the world has a lot of experience pairing ham and pork with wine, and that's the Alsace region of France. With a ham dish as complex as this one, opt for one of the most dramatic wines from Alsace: a dry muscat. Domaine Weinbach's Muscat Réserve 2003 ($38) is one of the best and dramatic enough to match this ham. Its exuberant fruity flavors must be experienced to be believed.

NOTES : So that you don't have to worry about food safety, buy a
    "ready to eat" (fully cooked) ham, not a "ready to cook"
    (partially cooked) ham.

The recipe calls for a 33%-less-sodium ham, but I can't
    find it at the grocery store. Buy one if possible.
    Nutritional information reflects the standard-sodium ham
    (as closely as possible; see Nutritional Links).

A spiral-cut ham makes serving very easy, and I recommend
    it. Omit the diagonal scoring if your ham is spiral-cut.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

I made the Hormel ham last night and I concur...salty, salty, salty.

Quote Originally Posted by deb415611 View Post
    My husband got a Hormel Spiral Ham from work recently and it was very salty. It's the first time that we have ever had that brand so I don't know if its the norm.

I have bought them at Costco and they have been good.

I read a review recently and can't remember who came out on top. I think it was Cooks Illustrated - I'll see if I can find it.

Trader Joe's brand we like (spiral ham w/glaze packet): Curando

Costco sells the Kirkland and the Martha brand

I was there earlier this week to buy the Kirkland one. There were four of us there at the same time, raving about the hams, and two women came up to ask the same question posed here - how do they compare to Honeybaked? A resounding "Try it, we love it!" was the response.

Then a man in a business suit came up and said "Choose what you want now, because I'm buying 32 of them for my office staff!"

So, that was another good testimonial.

I looked at the Martha ones, and they sounded flavorful, but were more $$$, of course, and not spiral sliced. They did come with a reusable muslin bag, though!
    Laurie

Cook's Illustrated rated spiral hams a while back and highly recommended Cook's brand, which is nice since they're generally the ones on sale in this neck of the woods. Their cooking method involved throwing out the glaze packet and cooking the ham at very low temperatures (I think around 300 degrees or so) in an oven cooking bag. I've done this several times, and it works well (which reminds me, I need to put cooking bags on my grocery list for this weekend!)
    Alicia

We've been buying Honey Baked Hams for almost 20 years and have never had a bad one. They've all been wonderful. We used to live in Dallas and would line up (even with a reservation) to buy them at the original Honey Baked Ham store. Now, they're shipped to us. We've had Costco's, Sam's and several store brands, but none beat the Honey Baked Ham in my opinion.
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

Cooks is on sale this week. Maybe I'll grab that and use the blackberry-mustard glaze. Yum.

Thanks, Pam

I bought a Cook's boneless ham about 10 yrs. ago and it was nasty. The meat had a mushy texture. A bone-in ham might be different.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Hands down!! COSTCO!! It is NOT salty like Cook's!! It has a wonderful glaze packet. I just made one at my Dad's house when I visited. Everyone loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    The spiral hams from Sam's Club are really good too. I think they are better than the honey baked as well.
    I'm glad to hear that because I just bought a spiral ham from Sam's Club this morning (we don't have a Costco here). I've never cooked a spiral ham before, so I think I'll try the oven bag method.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson