Community Message Boards

Thread: Problems with Meringue Cookies

Problems with Meringue Cookies

I have been trying to make the perfect meringue cookies for the longest time. I tried the Double-Vanilla cookies from the magazine. For the most part, they turn out well, however, the bottoms of the cookies turn inward so the cookies end up in a concave shape. Any help?! Please!

If the bottoms cave in, I'd say they're not getting dried out enough. Some recipes have you leave them in the oven which has been turned off. That helps with the drying. Maybe Joe will respond - he makes great looking meringues. Here's a link to his recipe.
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2...nt-kisses.html
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Quote Originally Posted by dorothyntototoo View Post
    If the bottoms cave in, I'd say they're not getting dried out enough. Some recipes have you leave them in the oven which has been turned off. That helps with the drying. Maybe Joe will respond - he makes great looking meringues. Here's a link to his recipe.
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2...nt-kisses.html
    Thank you for posting that link! Those have to be the prettiest meringues I have EVER seen--wow!

Maybe Joe will pipe in here, or maybe you know: he said he got the sprinkles to stick by painting on a little brown rice syrup. I've never heard of that, and wonder if it's like corn syrup, maybe diluted with a little water to make it runnier?

His recipe says to leave them in the oven when done, oven turned off, door ajar. My MIL's meringues are left in the oven for a long time, oven turned off, door closed. Does it make any difference? (Dumb ?, maybe, but I'm no meringue expert.)
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

If you go to Joe's blog & send him an email, he'll respond. There's another photo where he swirled color thru the meringues this year. I'm not sure about open vs. closed oven door.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Thanks, dorothyntototoo. I did just that (e-mailed him). I did not, however, find that photo of the color swirled through the meringues (how did he do it? paste food color, or liquid?); do you happen to have a link to that also? I'm sorry; must be technically challenged today.

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by lalamprecht View Post
    I have been trying to make the perfect meringue cookies for the longest time. I tried the Double-Vanilla cookies from the magazine. For the most part, they turn out well, however, the bottoms of the cookies turn inward so the cookies end up in a concave shape. Any help?! Please!
    What recipe are you using? If I had to guess, it sounds as if you are not leaving them in the oven long enough to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    Thank you for posting that link! Those have to be the prettiest meringues I have EVER seen--wow!

Maybe Joe will pipe in here, or maybe you know: he said he got the sprinkles to stick by painting on a little brown rice syrup. I've never heard of that, and wonder if it's like corn syrup, maybe diluted with a little water to make it runnier?

His recipe says to leave them in the oven when done, oven turned off, door ajar. My MIL's meringues are left in the oven for a long time, oven turned off, door closed. Does it make any difference? (Dumb ?, maybe, but I'm no meringue expert.)
    You can use light corn syrup just the same - no need to dilute it or anything. I've always done it with the door slightly ajar as I didn't want any of the white meringues to brown at all from excess heat. I don't think it matters much though, unless you are baking them at a high heat.

Thanks, dorothyntototoo. I did just that (e-mailed him). I did not, however, find that photo of the color swirled through the meringues (how did he do it? paste food color, or liquid?); do you happen to have a link to that also? I'm sorry; must be technically challenged today.
    I've posted a couple of them - if you go to Monday's post where we did the round up the the gifts this year, along with everything else, you will see the new picture we put up.

Here's the link to the gift report...

Here's what the kisses looked like this year. To get the effect, I just use a small paint brush and paint a couple stripes on the inside of the bag with gel colors.

Last year we only did red.

Hope that helps!
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Joe, thank you so much for responding! I love your pretty meringues. Can you dilute paste colors (with what?), and have them work, or would it be a good idea for me to buy gel colors? What kind do you use (brand name, or what do I look for)?

lalamprecht, you've opened a real can of worms here . . .

Joe, thank you so much for responding! I love your pretty meringues. Can you dilute paste colors (with what?), and have them work, or would it be a good idea for me to buy gel colors? What kind do you use (brand name, or what do I look for)?
    The brand I use is called AmeriColor. If your paste colors are somewhat easily spreadable, you could just use those - if you feel the need to dilute, I would use something like vodka to thin it out. I prefer the gel colors though.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Thank you all so much for your help! [An extra thanks to Joe!] My cookies turned out perfect! Beautiful! Really! I was so excited about them.