Community Message Boards

Thread: Twice Baked Potatoes w/o Sour Cream

Twice Baked Potatoes w/o Sour Cream

My DB's son, Mr. Picky, is coming for Christmas, and I'd like to make twice baked potatoes to go with our rib roast. He hates sour cream and won't touch them if they have any in them. I could have sworn I'd seen a recipe in this BB for TBPs made with butter and evaporated milk that I thought would pass muster, but can't find it now. If not that recipe, can anyone recommend a good recipe for tasty twice-baked without sour cream?

What about using cream cheese and some milk?
    Go for it!

We use ranch dressing in place of sour cream and that turns out well. CL also has a blue cheese and bacon twice-baked potato recipe that uses buttermilk.

I make these all the time without sour cream. I just mash the potatoes with some skim milk, butter, cheddar cheese, minced onion or chives and of course S & P. More cheddar on top to brown. Simple but delicious.

Mr. Picky actually hates all things white and creamy, i.e. cream cheese, ranch dressing, probably buttermilk, so I guess we'll just go with butter, cheddar cheese and bacon bits.

Twice-Baked Garden Potatoes
    From The City Gardener's Cookbook

These attractive potatoes come from the oven bursting with color and flavor. The recipe refers to baking potatoes, which have a thick skin and a loose internal texture and are able to hold their shape. Try serving them topped with additional cheese, yogurt, or fresh homemade salsa.

4 large baking potatoes
    1 cup fresh corn kernels
    1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
    1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
    1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    salt to taste
    freshly ground pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400F and bake the potatoes until done, about 1 hour. Set aside to cool slightly. In a bowl, mix the corn, red pepper, cheese, chives, and garlic. Cup a slice off the top of each potato and discard. Scoop out the pulp and combine with the vegetable and cheese mixture. Return to the hot oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
    Serves 4.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I mash the potatoes with milk, salt and pepper, add a little cheddar cheese and some chopped cooked broccoli. a little more cheese on top.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Ann K. View Post
    Mr. Picky actually hates all things white and creamy, i.e. cream cheese, ranch dressing, probably buttermilk, so I guess we'll just go with butter, cheddar cheese and bacon bits.
    First, I have 2 members of the Picky Eaters Assoc and neither of them will touch sour cream 'cept they love twice baked and I make sure they are never in the room when I make them. That said, if you're not going to use sour cream I'd at least use a bit of cream (whole milk at the least) to whip into the potatoes along with the butter and cheese. I prefer fresh grated Parmesan in my twice baked.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

You know, the funny thing is that I used to make them with sour cream, unbeknowst to him, and he loved them, but once he found out they included the disgusting ingredient, that immediately changed. ( sigh...)

Oh, and yes I will add some milk or something to make them creamier. I like the idea of Parmesan cheese, too.