Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I make these green beans ahead?

Can I make these green beans ahead?

I just saw this recipe yesterday on FoodTV.com. Since I need a green vegetable for my Saturday dinner party, I thought I might try these:

Green Bean Bundles
    Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

1 pound fresh green beans
    Olive oil
    Salt and pepper
    Bacon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Blanch green beans for 3 minutes. Toss them in olive oil and salt and pepper. Bundle about 5 green beans and wrap a piece of bacon around the bundle. Place in a roasting pan and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, until bacon is cooked.

Do you think I could blanch the beans, toss in the oil and wrap the bacon around them and put in the frig until later in the day? Or will they not cook enough since they will be chilled when they are put into the oven? The recipe says to roast them until the bacon is cooked. I wouldn't want to over cook the bacon.

Maybe I should do a trial run with these.

Has anyone made these? Any ideas?
    Sue

Women are Angels
    And when someone breaks our wings, our spirit, or our hearts...
    We simply continue to fly.........
    on a broomstick...
    We are flexible like that ....

i certainly think you could blanch the beans ahead of time to save time later-- but for keeping the oven timing right, i'd not assemble until just before baking, and also not toss with the oil. here's what i'd do:

blanch the green beans a day ahead. immediately plunge into ice water to set their color, drain and pat dry, store in frdge. on day of, take both the beana and bacon out ahead of time, at least 15 minutes (like while the oven preheats), toss beans with oil and seasoning and wrap, then cook.

sounds very yummy.