Community Message Boards

Thread: Kitchenaid Mixer Bit the Dust

Kitchenaid Mixer Bit the Dust

My Kitchenaid mixer is around 6 years old. Today, I was whipping egg whites and it sounded as if the whisk was hitting the sides of the bowl (it was making a noise that it hadn't before). Then, the motor kept running but the part that holds the whisk attachment stopped. I called Kitchenaid and there is no authorized service place in my area so, I could try to find some repair place near me and take it there or send the mixer to Kitchenaid and pay $28 to diagnose the problem and then they'd call me with the problem and cost (they'd then deduct the $28 from that). That would take 6-8 weeks. Or, she mentioned some kind of repair kit thing for $38, but I have no idea what she was talking about there (actually now that I think about it, I think it might have been the cost to ship it to Kitchenaid). Anyway, I tried to turn on the mixer again after the call and now the motor is completely dead. It doesn't even make a sound when I turn it on.

So, has anyone ever had a similar problem? Am I better off trying to find someone to repair it or try to find a new one and just replace the mixer all together. I wouldn't think that 6 years is a long time to have one of these mixers. It still looks brand new.

We had a motor issue with our mixer after DH made bread with it. It ended up costing about $100 to get it fixed at an authorized place. I thought the repair price was high but much cheaper than buying a new one.

FYI: I asked the repair guy what exactly happened and he said that we turned the power on too quickly. Basically, you should allow a little bit of time going from slow to fast (does that make sense?). He made it sound like DH probably just turned the mixer on full power and burnt out the motor....who knows, DH pretty much breaks everything I have in the kitchen. (Most recently he broke my Cuisinart food processor bowl because he put it on the roof of the car, forgot about it and then drove off.....
    Go for it!

I among the few that absolutely hate my Kitchen Aid mixer. Previously I had a Sunbeam Mixmaster and it worked fine and I used it quite a bit. But, I fell for the KA "hype" and sold my Mixmaster in a garage sale and got a KA.

There is not a baking day that goes by that I don't wish for my Mixmaster to be back.

Soooooooooo, long story short --- I'd get a new mixer, but it wouldn't be a KA again.

Boy, six years doesn't seem like a very long time at all. Not for a KA. I've had mine, what? Almost 20? I've never had a single problem.
    Sorry for the hassle. I know what you mean when you wonder whether it's worth it to ship it off and pay all the associated expenses. I wish I had an answer for you. Let us know what you decide. What a time for your mixer to die on you.
    TKay

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty100 View Post
    Most recently he broke my Cuisinart food processor bowl because he put it on the roof of the car, forgot about it and then drove off.....
    He had it on the car roof . . . because?
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

I think KitchenAids have gone the way of Maytag and other formerly great appliances. They just aren't made well anymore. It's sad and disappointing.
    Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by armel View Post
    He had it on the car roof . . . because?
    Yes, do tell.

Well, I'd be mad if I were you, but as an outside observer, that's pretty funny.

I'd hate anyone to tell their SO to stay out of the kitchen, but maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso View Post
    Yes, do tell.

Well, I'd be mad if I were you, but as an outside observer, that's pretty funny.

I'd hate anyone to tell their SO to stay out of the kitchen, but maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea in your case.
    Except it sounds like he wasn't actually in the kitchen in the case of the food processor.
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

You've never loaded a car full of stuff, including kitchen gear, to take to someone else's house for a big meal or party? I understand how it happened. Im just glad it hasn't happeened to me with anything more than a soda or cup of coffee.

No, DH was not loading the car full of stuff for a party....

My kids (DS is 4 and DD is 2) LOVE to play with the Cuisinart food processor bowl. It is one of their favorite toys!! I think they like it because it has a handle and it is see thru. Apparently, DD had the bowl and it was time for DH to load them in the car to go someplace so she carried it all the way out to the garage etc. Now if I had been home, the kids wouldn't haven't gotten all the way to the garage with my bowl!!
    Go for it!

I had an issue with my KA where the switch broke. It was always hard to turn it on but this time there was a loud snap when I turned it on and it had broken.

The only authorized service place is 2 hours away from me (and I'm in metro Boston!!!). But there is a place in the next town called Mr. Fix-It and it's one of those old fashioned places where the owner has a zillion lamps and other electrical things (including KA mixers!) that people bring him to fix. He ordered a switch and took the opportunity to give the motor an oil job while he had it and it's been fine ever since.

It cost $75 but he said that KA parts are really expensive. The plus side was that I didn't have to pack it up to ship and it was back in my kitchen in a week.

I was a bit worried about the non-authorized piece of taking it to him but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. My advice would be to see if you can find such a place anywhere near you. Just because these places don't take the time to become KA Certified doesn't mean they're not good repair people. They should also tell you if it's worth it to fix.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Thanks for all of the responses. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do about it. I'm going out of town for Christmas, so I think it'll have to wait for the time being. I might check to see if there is an authorized dealer near where I'll be or I might check the local phone book for repairmen. When I told DH, he more or less said to just look for a new one. So, we'll see. I hate to spend the money, but I do like my mixer. I guess I could look into other kinds as well.

Also, if I do end up getting a new one, what do I do with my old one? Are there places that recycle things like that? I'd hate to just throw it in the trash if there might be someplace that will take it and recycle it.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeK View Post
    I among the few that absolutely hate my Kitchen Aid mixer. Previously I had a Sunbeam Mixmaster and it worked fine and I used it quite a bit. But, I fell for the KA "hype" and sold my Mixmaster in a garage sale and got a KA.

There is not a baking day that goes by that I don't wish for my Mixmaster to be back.

Soooooooooo, long story short --- I'd get a new mixer, but it wouldn't be a KA again.
    Why do you hate your KA?

Zwieback, if you don't repair it, please donate it. Goodwill and other agencies fix castoffs every day, for resale for their store. I rarely trash anything if there's any chance someone out there can use it.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

My KA died right before christmas last year. I called KA, they sent me a large box, I shipped it back to them. No cost. They were unable to repair the machine and instead sent me a refurbished one, same model, only almond.

So if it was me I would send it to KA for repairs. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    Why do you hate your KA?
    Hmmm...maybe "hate" was a bit strong and I should say why I liked my Sunbeam better. Nahhhh...I'll go with hate.

The first problem I have is potatoes --- I used to try whipping them in my KA. But after being pelted with hot potatoes I quit doing that. Now I just mash them with a hand whomper. I know y'all are going to say get the rim thingee that prevents that. I have it. I hate it too. The potatoes flying out pop that baby right off. I know I could "start" the potatoes with the whomper, but at that point I may as well just keep whomping!

The second issue ---- flour. Even on the slowest speed I get a nice dusting of flour when mixing a cake.

Third issue ---- stuff stuck to the little rise at the bottom. It doesn't mix up the bottom as well as my Sunbeam did. That little nubbly thing at the bottom is a pain in MY BOTTOM, if you get my drift. (Have I mentioned that I miss my Sunbeam? Oh, I did? )

And the fourth --- biggest issue in my book ---- you can't scrape down the sides while the mixer is running like I could with my Sunbeam mixer. I have to raise the head and then the beater is in the way. Inevitably I end up with a sleeve full of batter. (Now I know this is in fact due to my klutz-like tendencies, but it was easier to avoid with my beloved Sunbeam).

However, the KA is running fine and I'll live with it until it dies and try not to whine too much whenever I have to use it.

Oh ... one other little thing ... every once in awhile it has a screech when the motor starts up. It's a sound that causes dogs and people to cringe and run for cover. Can I hope this is an early sign of imminent death????

DeeK, I wonder if you have your beater adjusted correctly. I haven't had any of those problems. I agree that it's kind of hard to scrape down the sides, but the other things have not happened with mine.
    Margaret

How do you adjust the beater?

I snap it onto the stem and rotate it to it's proper postion, but I don't see that there is any other adjustment to be made. Maybe I'm missing something.

If you purchased it at Williams-sonoma, it has a lifetime quarantee that they will replace it. Have you checked out where you purchased it?
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Quote Originally Posted by jmarie View Post
    If you purchased it at Williams-sonoma, it has a lifetime quarantee that they will replace it. Have you checked out where you purchased it?
    It was given to me for a wedding shower gift.

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post

Zwieback, if you don't repair it, please donate it. Goodwill and other agencies fix castoffs every day, for resale for their store. I rarely trash anything if there's any chance someone out there can use it.
    Either things are different where you are or you haven't tried to donate to Goodwill (or similar places) lately. Where I am, their days of fixing castoffs are long over. They don't fix anything. If it's not perfect, they won't take it. They're very picky these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Either things are different where you are or you haven't tried to donate to Goodwill (or similar places) lately. Where I am, their days of fixing castoffs are long over. They don't fix anything. If it's not perfect, they won't take it. They're very picky these days.
    Wow; really? I'm glad you mentioned that, b/c I'll be sure to ask b4 donating anything questionable (needing repair). If Goodwill won't take things that need a slight repair, as they used to do, I'm sure there's someone out there who will. I guess even the charities are time-crunched (and space-crunched) these days . . .

DeeK, regarding the stuff left at the bottom of the mixing bowl: a KA rep told me once (on the phone; I called about a machine-oil leak) that each mixer has its beater carefully adjusted so that the bowl is well-scraped by the beater. So maybe you'll hate your KA less if you have it serviced; this problem shouldn't be happening.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeK View Post
    How do you adjust the beater?

I snap it onto the stem and rotate it to it's proper postion, but I don't see that there is any other adjustment to be made. Maybe I'm missing something.
    You can adjust the thumbscrew thing on the front of the top part of the mixer to make the beater go a little lower or higher. Edited to add: It's not the thumbscrew (that's for attachments), but it is a screw. I had to adjust mine and I'd have to figure it out to do it again.
    Last edited by Jazzmatazz49; 12-21-2007 at 06:34 AM.
    Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmatazz49 View Post
    You can adjust the thumbscrew thing on the front of the top part of the mixer to make the beater go a little lower or higher. Edited to add: It's not the thumbscrew (that's for attachments), but it is a screw. I had to adjust mine and I'd have to figure it out to do it again.
    Thanks. I'll give it a try. That may help with the bottom stuff.

However, I think I'll just have to live with the potato flinger part of the problem because that's the paddle shape doing that.

Just an update....I called around to a good handful of repair places near me. No one will touch a Kitchenaid mixer. They only repair major appliances. I couldn't successfully convince them that my mixer IS major, at least to me. Anyway, DH called from Target today and asked me what color I wanted because he found a Kitchenaid Artisan mixer, normally $299.99, on sale for $150! I was so unbelievably thrilled and excited. Out of white, red or reef blue, I chose the reef blue. It's pretty.

Now, I just need to figure out what to do with the old one. I just can't throw it in the trash. I'll have to see if Goodwill or Salvation Army will take it. If not, I'll have to see if it can be recycled anywhere.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. I really appreciate it. Now, what to make first with my pretty new mixer??

I don't know about Salvation Army, but I remember Goodwill advertising that they provided job training or jobs to some of the people they help by repairing things that are donated to them. Of course, there are also folks who might buy as-is and repair themselves.

ETA: Congrats on the new mixer! Blue is pretty, white is so classic, and red is snazzy -- I would have a hard time chosing, but blue is generally my favorite color.

Quote Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
    Just an update....I called around to a good handful of repair places near me. No one will touch a Kitchenaid mixer. They only repair major appliances. I couldn't successfully convince them that my mixer IS major, at least to me. Anyway, DH called from Target today and asked me what color I wanted because he found a Kitchenaid Artisan mixer, normally $299.99, on sale for $150! I was so unbelievably thrilled and excited. Out of white, red or reef blue, I chose the reef blue. It's pretty.

Now, I just need to figure out what to do with the old one. I just can't throw it in the trash. I'll have to see if Goodwill or Salvation Army will take it. If not, I'll have to see if it can be recycled anywhere.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. I really appreciate it. Now, what to make first with my pretty new mixer??
    Yay to your DH for finding that deal! No ideas about what to make, but I have to ask what name you're going to give it .
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

However, I think I'll just have to live with the potato flinger part of the problem because that's the paddle shape doing that.
    We purchased a KA for MIL 2 Christmas's ago, mainly because the bowl was so big....mashed potatoes....

I basically just start the machine at slowest speed, and continue rasiing speed until the potatoes are mashed. You might try this before you completely give up on it!

Good luck!
    Joyce
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

I saved up money to buy myself an Empire Red kitchenaid stand mixed, I had wanted one for a long, long time. I had the machine for a little over a year when one day the motor started running at the highest speed and would. not. stop. It was the only speed I had, it was either flat out or nothing. It pretty much became a glorified whipped cream maker. So I contacted kitchenaid and they charged me to send a box so I could send the machine to them for a diagnostic. They called me to tell me the motor was shot and basically it would cost almost as much to replace the motor as I had originally paid for the machine. I was very upset and could not afford the repair. When I asked for the machine back the girl on the phone seemed surprised.. she was 'you want it back?' in this very shocked tone. Well I wasn't going to let them keep it (and refurbish it and resell it). So I got it back and gave it to a friend for him to tinker with to see if there was anything he could do.

Long story short, I saved up my money and bought a new... Cuisnart stand mixer and have not had one problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaraB View Post
    Yay to your DH for finding that deal! No ideas about what to make, but I have to ask what name you're going to give it .
    Not sure if this thread was bumped up legitimately. Since it was, I thought I'd answer your question from years ago , ClaraB (sorry, didn't see it then). I named him Sir Mix-A-Lot.

Quote Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
    Not sure if this thread was bumped up legitimately. Since it was, I thought I'd answer your question from years ago , ClaraB (sorry, didn't see it then). I named him Sir Mix-A-Lot.
    So glad you replied - I've been waiting on tenterhooks for the last 3 years to find out the name . Actually, that's a very worthy name...
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson