Community Message Boards

Thread: Cream Sherry vs "Dry" Sherry??

Cream Sherry vs "Dry" Sherry??

As I'm going to be home this year for Christmas, I have decided to make a big ol' dinner ... My father (and I) always basted the ham with a mixture of 'sherry', brown sugar and pineapple. I can't find 'regular' sherry to save my life .. I do live in the 'country', but come on.......... All I can find is cream sherry and asked at the local wine store (THEY HAD SHERRY AT $16 A BOTTLE... NOT) and he said that cream sherry is sweeter.. the only difference. Do you think that as I'm making a sweet glaze anyway, it would make a difference? I can get cheap cream sherry at $4 a bottle at the Food Lion... TIA

If you can't find a dry sherry (cream is too sweet for my tastes) then I'd sub a dry vermouth or a dry white wine. If you are compelled to use the sherry then I'd reduce the sugar you use in the glaze. JMHO.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I have always kept a bottle of cream sherry in the house just in case my mom would like a little drink. With that I use it for cooking, too. I'm sure there's a difference, but I didn't really notice. I say go ahead and save yourself the hassle...then you can have a little glass when you're done.

I always get the Taylor label of Sherry at the grocery store...its cheap - I think maybe $5.99. That's what I use for cooking. I know "they" say you shouldn't cook with any wine you wouldn't drink, but with Sherry, I always go cheap. Most recipes only call for a tablespoon or two.

Taylor's a brand, and they make both cream and dry sherry. So, it's not a matter of brand but of type.

I DO find it nearly incredible that there is no inexpensive dry sherry to be had in your area. That's amazing.

I usually use dry sherry for savory dishes and sweet, or cream sherry for desserts.

Taylor!!! That's the brand that I remember buying... green bottle! I'm going to hit a small locally owned place tomorrow and see what they have. The only other market here is Food Lion and they only carry cream sherry. I think that if I can't find dry I'm going to use cream as it is a sweet glaze.

I'm closing on a new home in Fredericksburg, VA on the 4th ... moving back to town... this is just another reason to return to civilization

Quote Originally Posted by funniegrrl View Post
    I DO find it nearly incredible that there is no inexpensive dry sherry to be had in your area. That's amazing.
    I used to be able to buy Taylor dry sherry in the grocery store but now they only stock the cream. Talked with the wine guy and it seems that buyers in my area may not know what they're buying because the cream out sold the dry by 2-1 and precious shelf space eliminated the dry. And it's a PITA to go to the liquor store after I've been to the grocery store!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!