Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I make this collard green recipe ahead?

Can I make this collard green recipe ahead?

I don't have much experience with making collard greens, but I found this recipe and wanted to give it a try for Christmas. Do you think I could make it 1-2 days ahead and just reheat or is it best the day of? Any suggestions?

Home > Recipes

Southern California Collard Greens
    Copyright 2000 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
    Show: Food 911
    Episode: Turkey with a Twist

4 pounds young collard greens (about 4 bunches)
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 onion, julienned
    2 garlic cloves, smashed
    2 large ham hocks (about 2 pounds), smoked and cooked
    2 bay leaves
    2 quarts chicken broth, low sodium
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    Seasoned salt
    To prepare the greens: cut away the tough stalks and stems from the collards, and discard any leaves that are bruised or yellow. Fill the sink with water and salt (the salt helps to remove any impurities). Wash the collards thoroughly to remove the grit, 2 or 3 times, until the water runs clear. Dry thoroughly. Stack up several leaves and hand shred them into ribbon-like pieces (chiffonade). Repeat until all the leaves are shredded.
    Coat a 6-quart stockpot with olive oil and place over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, stir to coat, then add the ham hocks and bay leaves; cook about 8 minutes. Pack in the greens, pushing them down into the pot. Add the broth, vinegar, sugar, and red pepper flakes.
    Bring up to a hard boil for 10 minutes, until greens start to wilt. Turn the greens over with a wooden spoon, do not stir. Lower to a gentle boil, cover the pot, and let cook for 45 minutes. Taste the "pot liquor" (broth) and check the seasoning, add seasoned salt. Cover and let cook for 15 more minutes.

I don't see why not. Because they are cooked a long time, you don't have to worry about over-cooking by reheating. From what I remember, collards are often one of those "better the next day" dishes.

Yes, you certainly can. This is very similar to how I am making mine and they are in the pot as we speak, cooking for Christmas dinner but I will cook the hamhocks much longer than 45 minutes. They will cook until they fall from the bones

They may actually be better re-heated.
    Mary Ann

Thank you! I will make them tomorrow.

We had this recipe for NYD and it is my new fav way to make greens. Thanks for posting.

I'm making them today - better late than never!
    Mary Ann

You're very welcome! I made them the day before and just reheated. Soooo good! The flavors had a chance to meld and it was a perfect side to my ham. Even members of my family who were relunctant to try liked it!