Community Message Boards

Thread: Letting cinnamon rolls rise in fridge

Question Letting cinnamon rolls rise in fridge

Is it acceptable to let the rolls do their final rise in the refrigerator overnight?

I've seen some recipes that call for it and can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work for any cinnamon roll recipe. But then, I'm not much of a yeast bread baker, so thought I'd seek out some experienced input

TIA,
    Allison

Yes!

A long slow rise can result in better rolls. Not that I'm an expert baker, but I learned that here on the BB.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

it works great-- just be sure to get them out early in the morning so they can get to room temp, or close, before baking.

in fact, my Betty Crocker cookbook recommends

I was going to ask the same question - I'd like to make sticky buns for breakfast tomorrow (the recipe from KA whole grain baking book). Do I just refrigerate the pan as soon as I put it together? How long should I expect it to take to warm up to room temp?
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

I don't know if you already have a recipe or not, but I have made this one many times and it always come out great! I made it when my mom, sister, and brother in law were visiting and got rave reviews, they loved it.
    The recipe I adapted from allrecipes.com and it is pretty easy to make.
    I also posted this in my blog, so if you would like to see a picture and what I talked about it you can take a peek here.
    I am not sure if the method would work with any recipe, but to be true I don't see why it wouldn't... just put in the fridge overnight and then take it out about 30 minutes before baking on the next morning, just so it has a chance to finish rising. It is such a great idea do make it overnight, you just wake up to a warm breakfast and your kitchen smells divine!
    Ana

Overnight Cinnamon Rolls (adapted from allrecipes.com)
    1 cup milk
    1/3 cup butter
    1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 eggs

Filling
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    1 tablespoon melted butter

Heat the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, remove from heat, add the butter and stir until melted; let cool until warm.
    In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the milk mixture. Add the sugar, the whole-wheat flour, 2 cups of the all-purpose flour, salt and eggs; stir well to combine. Add the remaining all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes.
    Lightly oil a large mixing, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
    Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 10x 14 inch rectangle. Lightly brush the dough with melted butter. In a small bowl combine the cinnamon and 3/4 cup brown sugar and sprinkle over the rectangle. Roll up the dough into a log and seal the seam.
    Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces; place the pieces in a greased 9x13 inch baking pan, or 12 inch deep dish pizza pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to rise overnight.
    The next morning, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Take the rolls out of the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
    Bake the rolls for 25 minutes or until golden, serve warm.