Community Message Boards

Thread: Greatest hits question

Greatest hits question

Hi there,

I am a little new to posting on the bb, so I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I was wondering if anyone knew whether Cooking Light intends to cut out its greatest hits selection permanently - I noticed November didn't have a listing of the magazine's favorite recipes, although several recipes had notations that they'd received the test kitchen's highest ratings. I didn't see anything like that in the Jan/Feb. issue, and I was wondering if anyone knew what was up. I always liked seeing which of the recipes were most popular with the magazine editors! Anyway, thanks so much, and I hope everyone had a great holiday.

I noticed that missing too as it is usually the first place I look to decide which recipes I want to try.

I did notice however that they started a new "last page" theme, (the Jan/Feb issue it's the Cardmom lime sweet rolls) which will be a "highest test kitchen rated" recipe each month. Well that's great, there will be one each month, but I loved that they pointed out 5 or 6 each month.

You know, they dropped that feature once before and added it back for some reason. I wonder why it's something they keep wanting to get rid of. How hard can it be to mention 5 or 6 extra special recipes?? And what could be the problem with it that they would need to drop it?

PLEASE PUT IT BACK CL!!

ditto from a long time CL subsriber

I remember there was a post about this last month too. I am in the crew that hopes it doesn't go away too. It was a New Year's Resolution of sorts of mine to try all the Greatest Hits each month. That is going to be mighty hard to do if they don't list them!

I'll put in a vote for bringing it back (if, in fact, it has been eliminated). I liked it because it's not a "test kitchen rating" necessarily, but I understood it to be the recipes that staffers chose to make at home. A little bit different recommendation, and a stronger one IMO.

Amy

I noticed that it was missing as well and I was quite disappointed. I always like to see what they choose for that section. I hope they bring it back!

Welcome to the boards, alyhat!

It tells you a little about how my December has gone, that I haven't even finished reading the Dec issue and didn't notice the GHits missing. But I'm with the OPs who love seeing whether my folded-over pages match the GHits noted by CL.

Keep it, CL, please! Good call, alyhat.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was sad to see it missing! It's sort of a ritual of mine to check the greatest hits first thing whenever I get my newest issue of CL. Oh well - hopefully they'll bring it back, and I'll just have to enjoy the last-page recipe for now. Thanks for all the input!

Yes I missed the Favorite Editor's picks in the Jan/Feb issue also.
    CL...would you return it to future issues?? It's a personal favorite feature also.

Thanks!

Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com

Bumping this because I really miss the Greatest Hits section! That was the first thing I looked for in every issue to whet my appetite for all the great recipes ahead. I have been a subscriber for 8-9 years, and this was one of my favorite features of the magazine. I keep looking to see if it's returned. Please bring it back! Or at least explain why it's been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChefElise View Post
    Bumping this because I really miss the Greatest Hits section! That was the first thing I looked for in every issue to whet my appetite for all the great recipes ahead. I have been a subscriber for 8-9 years, and this was one of my favorite features of the magazine. I keep looking to see if it's returned. Please bring it back! Or at least explain why it's been removed.
    Ditto!!! I have been subscribing to CL for 6 years and I really like the Greatest Hits, it was also the first place I looked to see which were the recipes CL liked the most! Pleeease, bring it back!!
    Ana

On a side note: I am also a subscriber to Vegetarian Times and they had a similar feature where they listed the best recipes of the issue, but on the last issue I received they also didn't have that part there (or at least I couldn't find it...).... would it be just a coincidence??

I think the reason that it is missing is due to space issues. The recipe from the last page continues onto this contents page. The last time the Greatest Hits was missing from the magazine the same thing happened - the recipe from the last page had to be continued onto the contents page.

Quote Originally Posted by stacy7272 View Post
    I think the reason that it is missing is due to space issues. The recipe from the last page continues onto this contents page. The last time the Greatest Hits was missing from the magazine the same thing happened - the recipe from the last page had to be continued onto the contents page.
    Well, they could maybe put the greatest hits at the beggining of the magazine then... If I am not wrong, when I first started subscribing to CL, the greatest hits used to be on the first few pages of the magazines, after the editor's letter...

And since you mentioned the last page recipe... I read that and it seems they will be featuring their very favorite recipe on the last page from now on, so I believe that that particular recipe is actually the "greatest hit" of the issue.

Instead of telling us about 5 or 6 favorite recipes seems that they are just showing/highlighting the "top" one, so it looks like we also lost the thing when they used to feature a great but older recipe that was very requested/successful in the last page.

Oh well... I still love CL!!

Just noticed that the homepage of the CL website names the staff picks/"greatest hits" for the January edition of CL. Perhaps someone was reading this thread. Anyhow, the greatest hits from this edition were Golden Winter Soup, Uniq Fruit and Lemon Marmalade, Korean Spiced Beef and Cabbage Rolls and Butterscotch Pudding. I haven't tried any of these yet, but I have plans to make a couple of them soon.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous