Community Message Boards

Thread: What to eat with champagne

What to eat with champagne

I just received a lovely bottle of Moet et Chandon Nectar Imperial and want to share it with some friends. Any ideas for nibbles that would go well with such a treat? I'm thinking about chocolate truffles but would also like a savory dish.
    Lucinda

Um, Caviar?

When I was in Azerbaijan I learned how the Russians eat caviar...slather good bread with good, salt-free butter (I'm sounding like Ina Garten here with the 'good' instructions...no, thanks, I'll just use the bad.) and spread the caviar on top. The children eat it like peanut butter!

OMG. I'm in serious need of some caviar now...
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Something with a little salt. We're actually thinking of doing traditional fish and chips at our next champagne dinner.

Traditionally caviar goes wonderfully.

Pate will certainly work.

The first thought that came to my mind was warmed brie with crackers - heaven - lucky you

WOW I must need sleep or my prescription checked.
    I swear when I say the title of this thread it was
    What to eat with chimpanzee

Although a lot of people pair champagne with chocolate, they actually don't go well together unless it's a champagne on the sweet side and the chocolate is dark/bittersweet. Better dessert choices are strawberries or other berries.

For savory items, classic pairings are hard cheeses, eggs, mushrooms, shellfish, creamy pasta.

What to Eat with Champagne - EVERYTHING

My husband turned me on to Champagne when we met and we drink it all the time; I have found it goes well with everything - or I should say, there is a Champagne that goes well with everything. You should find this Rose on the slightly sweet side. I'd go with some spicy/tangy Asian food - clean tasting shrimp spring rolls with mint & cilantro and then some various dipping sauces; perhaps lettuce rolls too.

fun!

On the same idea as previous posters, what would be more elegant and delicious than blini with crème fraîche and caviar?
    I like briny oysters with champagne. Or, for something simple, what about toast points with potted mushrooms?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I haven't a clue why this sounds perfect to me since I'm not a huge fan of either champagne or scallops but I do have a bottle of Prosecco in the fridge so maybe this will be my New Year's dinner. I'd do a seared sea scallop salad with a light vinaigrette dressing and spinach for the greens. Or, maybe Giada's Lemon Spaghetti with seared scallops, spinach and tomatoes.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

In the context of the cheese thread, I came across this piece on Affidelice cheese, which was specifically recommended as an accompaniment to Champagne.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

These:

Pink Champagne Biscuits Box by Fossier 12 Count Box

The Pink Champagne Biscuit (also known as Biscuit Rose de Reims) was born 300 years ago in Reims, the capital of the Champagne region. Since then it has kept all of its authenticity. Its unique texture, tender rose color and delicate icing powder have charmed connoisseurs. The biscuit rose tradition is to dunk it in a glass of Champagne or red wine. Makes a great hostess gift or serve these Pink Champagne Biscuits at your next party! Each box contains 12 delicious Pink Campagne Biscuits (approximately 3.5 oz. net wt.) imported from France.

We have them in our local wine store, but also can be found on amazon.com...they're yummy!!

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyh View Post
    These:

Pink Champagne Biscuits Box by Fossier 12 Count Box

The Pink Champagne Biscuit (also known as Biscuit Rose de Reims) was born 300 years ago in Reims, the capital of the Champagne region. Since then it has kept all of its authenticity. Its unique texture, tender rose color and delicate icing powder have charmed connoisseurs. The biscuit rose tradition is to dunk it in a glass of Champagne or red wine. Makes a great hostess gift or serve these Pink Champagne Biscuits at your next party! Each box contains 12 delicious Pink Campagne Biscuits (approximately 3.5 oz. net wt.) imported from France.

We have them in our local wine store, but also can be found on amazon.com...they're yummy!!

~Gail
    These are in my wine/liquor store as well. I always wanted to pick them up, but just never got around to it. I will have to next time I'm in!
    For my health The Fruit Company

I think, like northern coastal CA, you guys get fresh Dungeness crab this time of year. I love it with champagne, sourdough bread, with a choice of melted butter, mayo and cocktail sauce for dipping. At least in my part of inland CA, the key is getting really fresh crab.

Kay

Thanks for all the great ideas! I knew the BBers would come through with lots of yummy ideas!
    Lucinda

gougeres and smoked almonds or other spicy nuts go very well with the champagne!

We will be having homemade pierogies with ours (if I can get them done in time!).
    Connie

I like champagne with salmon. Some years ago, I made an appetizer with smoked salmon and some kind of tasty cheese. Sorry, I have no idea what I did with the recipe, but the idea of that appetizer and some champagne sounds mighty good right now.

This thread is making me want to just do a bunch of delish appetizers for NY's Eve dinner--rather than some grand meal. Yum.
    TKay