Community Message Boards

Thread: Eggplant "Casserole" Recipe

Eggplant "Casserole" Recipe

This was requested on a couple different posts, so I'm going to type out the actual recipe that I worked with, then my variations, it is from "Julia and Jacques".

Gratin of Eggplant, Tomato, and Zucchini:

1/2 cup EVOO
    1 large or 2 med. eggplants (~1.25 lbs)
    1 Tbs herbs de provence
    1 tsp salt
    2 medium zucchini (~1 lb)
    3 or 4 ripe tomatoes (~ 1 lb)

Bread-Crumb Topping:
    1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs, not too finely ground
    1/3 cup fresh grated parmesan

Preparing the Vegetables
    Arrange the rack on the lower-middle level of the oven and preheat to 400*F. Smear a baking sheet generously with 1/3 cup of the olive oil.

Trim off the ends of the eggplant and slice it on the diagonal into ovals 1/2 inch thick. One at a time, lay the slices on the sheet, press to coat lightly with oil and turn them over. Arrange the slices, oiled side up, in a single layer and sprinkle on 1/2 tsp. each of salt and herbs de provence.

Bake for about 15 minutes, until the eggplant slices are soft and somewhat shriveled; allow to cool briefly. Leave the oven on if you will be baking the gratin right away.

Meanwhile, trim the ends off the zucchini and cut lengthwise into slices no more than 1/4 inch thick. Core the tomatoes and cut into slices 1/4 inch thick. Spread out the slices and sprinkle them lightly with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.

Assembling the gratin
    Coat a gratin or baking dish with 1 tsp EVOO and sprinkle a tsp of herbs de provence on the bottom.

Lay 1 or 2 eggplant slices, lengthwise, against a narrow side of the dish. Arrange a long slice or two of zucchini in front of the eggplant, then place 2 or 3 tomato slices in front of the zucchini. Repeat the procedure to fill the an with alternating rows of eggplant, zucchini, tomato. Arrange each new row of slices so the colorful top edges of the previous row are still visible.

Topping and Baking the Gratin
    Mix together the bread crumbs, Parm., and a tsp of the herbs de provence. Add a Tbs. of EVOO then toss and rub it in with you fingers to coat the crumbs but keep them loose. Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the veggies and drizzle the rest of the EVOO over all.

Place dish in the cente of the oven and bake for 40 minutes, until the veggies are soft and the juices are bubbling, and the top is a deep golden brown.

###########################

My zucchini wasn't as fresh as I wanted it to be, so I used red potatos. I sliced them, then steamed them in the microwave till they were halfway done. And since I was bringing it for a crowd I used more veggies and kind of stacked them, more or less. I assembled it at home, drove 2 hours with it, and baked it for 40 minutes at my moms and it held up really well.

Thanks for posting! I'm glad you subbed red potatoes, too, b/c my DH doesn't like the way zucchini can often be bitter. I'll probably make it your way from the get-go (and I was one of the requestors on the other thread, so double thanks).
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

thank you-- it sounds really good. i love the combo as given, and it's nice to know how your riff went, as well.

Sounds delicious, thank you so much for posting! This recipe has one of my favorite combination of veggies, I will be making this for sure!!
    Ana