Community Message Boards

Thread: New Year's Goals....

New Year's Goals....

I haven't seen a thread started yet on New Year's resolutions (I prefer the term goal myself!). DH says he has made the same resolution every year for the past 30 years--"Don't do anything stupid." I like to get a little more specific than that!

I turned 50 this past year and have spent a considerable amount of time reflecting on what I want for the "next" chapter in my life. I gave myself the task of imagining what I would like my life to be if money and work were not impediments. In other words, if I didn't have to work or and money was not an issue, what would my day to day life look like? That has been surprisingly difficult to imagine. I think that's partly because I am very blessed and have a good life as is, and partly because I have been working so long that I can't figure out what life will look like when the day comes that I don't have to work. In any event, in an attempt to try to do this imagining of life without work, I am taking baby-steps and setting some goals that explore my interests for the coming year. They are (in no particular order):

1. Take piano lessons (to see if this is something I would really enjoy or have just always thought about.)

2. Learn more about photography, so I grow from someone who can take a pretty good snapshots by accident into a photographer who knows what it takes to create a good photograph.

3. Develop my cooking skills and entertain more frequently, but casually. My entertaining tends to consist of big productions, so I don't do it as often as I like. I want to be able to entertain with greater ease and with less fuss.

4. Get back into good physical shape. (You knew this one had to be somewhere on the list!) Until this year, I was a regular runner and then about six months ago I just quit. Didn't just quit running, but quit walking or exercising altogether. Have no idea why, but the butt and thigs are sure showing the lack of exercise. I really miss the feel of feeling good, but boy, is it hard to get back in the swing of things.

5. Learn to relax and let go. As a friend told me "Let go and let God." I have GOT to quit fretting over things I have no control over.

There is something about posting my goals on a BB that makes them seem more real than if they are just in my head or on a list on my computer. Thanks for letting me share them here. So, the above is what I will be focusing on in 2008. What about you?

Now you have me thinking. My 2008 goals are:

Be stronger. This is for my body and mind. I have signed with a trainer as I do trail running almost every day but I noticed I feel weaker. As far as mind goes, increase my reading amount and variety.

Be greener. I know it is one of those words that gets thrown around. I received 2 tote bags for Christmas and a book to show me easy steps to start.

Be friendlier. My kids are getting bigger and I have allowed myself to be completely absorbed in their world. It is time for me to spend more time with my own friends and not feel guilty about it.

That should keep me busy this year!!!

Good thread -- I'm thinking about this. Usually, I just make the "lose weight" resolution...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Be Greener

Put more $ towards retirement(already changed my payroll deductions so that one will be easy)

Eat more vegetables!
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

My biggest goal this year is to SLOW DOWN! Take time to read more books. Take time for more interesting cooking and eat at home more often.

They don't look like difficult goals when typed, but in reality ... it's going to take some real effort to change some old, bad habits.

My 2008 goals are based around becoming a more well rounded person. As of January 15th I will have officially earned my Masters Degree and will have time to work on other things!!

1. Begin painting again. I am an art teacher and at one point was an ARTIST, of course, I haven't painted often since beginning my Masters program because I would feel guilty that I wasn't writing a paper instead. It's time to get back on track and use my creativity for something besides writing interesting papers about education .

2. Act my age. I turned 30 last week and I find myself at times acting like I am still in college. I have a pretty rowdy group of friends and while I need that release at times, it is time to grow up a bit .

3. Drink less. See above goal. There is no reason to attend several happy hours per week.

4. Apply the knowledge I have gained by reading the Seat of the Soul books by Gary Zukav. These books have been very inspirational and I look forward to enhancing who I am by implementing what I have learned.

5. Live a healthy lifestyle, mind, body, and soul. I work out, am in shape and like the way I look, but I need to remember that exercise has many benefits. I plan to keep up my work out routine, continue to cook healthy meals for myself and my husband, and to relax so that I can keep my mind clear.

Best of luck to all of you in achieving your 2008 goals!!

Happy New Year,

-Heather
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

Happy New Year to all.
    Romandub, I strongly support you in taking piano lessons. As a child, I had lessons for five years and played from time to time over the years. In 1999, I bought a piano and resumed. It was so much fun and so rewarding. I was lucky to find an excellent teacher who was a brilliant pianist and teacher. There was always laughter during the lesson. He laughingly told me once that I had a "blatant disregard for fingering," which is something I still work on. Playing piano now is something I do just for me. One of my goals for 2008 will be to practice and play more and maybe start lessons again.
    K

Mine is to take better care of myself, emotionally and physically. Since I had my 2 boys I really have lost a part of myself and I want it back! I have also let my weight get out of hand and would like to loose about 40-50lbs while getting more fit, eat better...the whole shabang!

I am going to turn 40 next New Years Eve and I don't want to be down and miserable about my appearance like I am this year. I want to start on a new chapter in my life while not having to worry about what I look like or how tired I am.
    Context and memory play powerful roles in all the truly great meals in one's life.
    -Anthony Bourdain

Areas to focus on in 2008:

1. Decide on a masters degree program and take at least one class.
    2. Get through a small remodel project w/o losing my mind.
    3. Finish painting the cottage.
    4. Meet with a personal trainer in January to re-evaluate my fitness goals.
    5. Keep walking every day.
    6. Focus a bit more on my DH - he deserves it.
    7. Re-establish my yoga practice. It has been pushed to the side for the pasts year and I miss it.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

DmOrtega Guest
    While I don't generally make new year's resolutions, I have decided that this year I will start taking pictures of the dishes I make for the SGOTW and posting them. My family and I love the weekly cookbook challenge and want to take it up a notch. This should be an interesting challenge.

I have already made a resolution that I am working on continually now, which is that I will strive to make the next 10 years much more healthier then the last 10 years. So, far I'm on track with this one.

I also have challenged myself to do one new thing each year that is fun, such as taking a class to learn about cheese (see the monthly cheese thread). My dh is ready for this. Also, I want to learn how to create lights the “Bellevue Botanical Garden” way. I want to have a small garden display of my own by next Christmas.

So, although I don't really make new years resolutions, I do challenge myself to make time to have fun and get healthier.

Mine may seem weird, but they're things I have blown off recently:

1. Floss daily

2. Take my vitamins (and that means every day, not just when I think about it )

3. Get back to baking most of our bread at home. Everyone loves it, and it's really not that tough.

4. Tolerance! I find myself impatient if someone is riding my tail while driving, or taking their sweet time depositing a check at the bank, or cutting me off in a line at a store. No matter, we all deserve to be on the planet, and everyone has their own issues. I fear this one may be the hardest to stick with, but also the most rewarding

Happt New Year!

Sheila

Well it is worth a try

I have several things.
    1)I am hoping to grad from school in Dec of 08.
    2) I try to do every year is to stop biting my nails.
    3)I hope to be able to learn to relax more
    4)start that yoga class I have been putting off. Meditate more
    5) Exercise more. At work one of the schools partners gave us a free membership at a gym. So I might become buff. (Well that would differnet
    6) Read
    7) Learn how to forgive

1. Focus on Simplicity. I have to stop dwelling on the past and look forward to simple things. Sunny days, walks, trips to the zoo, cooking a meal, reading a book. I want to stop overwhelming myself with things that create chaos in my life. I've been working on this already and I think it's a much healthier and happier way for me to live.

2. I will be going back to school, so I'm really excited about that. I'm easing my way back by taking two classes this semester.

3. Continue to study the Bible.

Complete my son's adoption. I find out tomorrow if the committee approves me and then can file the petition in January. If all goes well, the adoption will finalize in February!!!

Get a new job before my unemployment runs out in March. I need to decide what I want to do with my life but a "mom job" will do in the meantime.

Choose a master's degree program and enroll in at least one course.

Lose the weight that I've gained since I've stopped working.

Be the mom I want to be for my kids. Have fun.
    Beth

"A teacher who says, 'I am a good teacher,' is in trouble. A good teacher is frequently troubled, in doubt, frustrated. Perfection doesn't exist. Everyone needs help." (Amelia Gambetti)

This will be the year of home improvement!

Hubby and I got married earlier this year and you can tell....his stuff and her stuff. I want a home that looks put together.

We have a list of projects we want to do and this year we are finally going to do them and I foresee some new furniture in our future!
    Stay-at-home mom scratch cooking for a child with a severe peanut and mustard allergy.

Have healthy baby.

Figure out how to be a good mommy to two under 2.

Find time to focus on healthy eating and fitness for myself. After four pregnancies and two kids in three years, I am not in great shape.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

My goals are:

1. Lose the weight from my last pregnancy. I would like to lose about 20 pounds, but I'd be happy with 15. As much as I'd like to lose the weight, I'd really prefer to just get in shape. So, I guess the main goal is to get in shape and if I lose the weight in the process, all the better.

2. To get into a routine so I can keep my house clean and organized. I try to make a cleaning schedule (clean a couple of rooms each day), but I just can't seem to stick with it. I need to figure out how to get and stay on a schedule/routine. Why is that such a hard thing to do?? It seems so easy on paper.

3. To clean and organize my house.

4. Learn how to crochet. I think I have the first step down, but I can't seem to figure out the next step.

5. Read more. I'm such a slow reader and my mind usually seems to wander while I read, so I have to reread the page or paragraph. I really want to read more so I can set a good example for my kids.

6. Eat better by creating weekly menus. Eat more fruits and vegetables than I do.

7. Try to spend less. Use up what I have before buying more.

That's good for now. With a 3 year old and a 6 month old, I think that's all the goals I'm setting for now. Good luck to us all for our New Year's goals!

I just finished reviewing my 2007 goals and writing down the 2008 goals. Last year I printed out a list of my goals and kept a copy in my day planner where I would look at them on a weekly basis. It's amazing how that one little thing inspired me to achieve a record number of my goals!

The other thing I noticed that although I didn't achieve two of my big goals (writing a business plan and getting my first novel ready for publication), I had opportunities that came up in regards to those two goals that are helping me to achieve them in a more satisfactory way than I had intended at the beginning of the year. So I am reminding myself to be open to new opportunities that will enhance the goals I have set.

On my list:
    Train for and do a sprint triathlon.
    Write the first draft of my second novel.
    Paint my kitchen and bathroom.

I also make a list of new strategies that will help me achieve my goals. Last year that list included brownbagging my lunch 4 times a week and keeping a copy of the goals in my planner. In 2008, I will continue the strategies I used last year and start or join a mastermind group, get up 1/2 to 1 hour earlier 2-3 times a week to work on projects and do a weekly project review to help keep on track with my projects.
    Lucinda

DmOrtega Guest

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lucinda View Post
    I just finished reviewing my 2007 goals and writing down the 2008 goals. Last year I printed out a list of my goals and kept a copy in my day planner where I would look at them on a weekly basis. It's amazing how that one little thing inspired me to achieve a record number of my goals!

The other thing I noticed that although I didn't achieve two of my big goals (writing a business plan and getting my first novel ready for publication), I had opportunities that came up in regards to those two goals that are helping me to achieve them in a more satisfactory way than I had intended at the beginning of the year. So I am reminding myself to be open to new opportunities that will enhance the goals I have set.
    Both of these things that you are doing are great strategies for accomplishing your goals. It is so easy to become side-tracked from our intentions and goals that reminding ourselves daily of those goals makes it easier to accomplish them because they are what we think about and work towards. Also, at the same time we must keep ourselves open to the unexpected opportunities that will help us achieve our goals. Very well said.

In 2008, I intend to do more to celebrate life, rather than mourn it. I have spent far too much time thinking about the glass half-empty (a family trait). Time to dip more into the other half.

Some thoughts:

This would make a good monthly thread. People could share how they are coming in achieving their goals.

Lucinda and dmOrtega's inclusion of strategies to achieve goals seems particularly helpful.

As for me, I made yearly goals for myself (on the academic calendar starting in September) when I was teaching; I haven't since retirement. I've always had a very complete to do list, but in the last couple of years I've found it helpful to have seasonal goals as well. In addition to mid-term and long-term priorities on this list, I include enjoyable activities which are easy to leave out in the press of day to day.

Kay

Quote Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
    My goals are:

2. To get into a routine so I can keep my house clean and organized. I try to make a cleaning schedule (clean a couple of rooms each day), but I just can't seem to stick with it. I need to figure out how to get and stay on a schedule/routine. Why is that such a hard thing to do?? It seems so easy on paper.

3. To clean and organize my house.

5. Read more. I'm such a slow reader and my mind usually seems to wander while I read, so I have to reread the page or paragraph. I really want to read more so I can set a good example for my kids.

6. Eat better by creating weekly menus. Eat more fruits and vegetables than I do.

7. Try to spend less. Use up what I have before buying more.

Our goals are VERY similar! Instead of your #1 I wrote down simply 'get into shape'

I would love to know why keeping a house clean when I am a SAHM is so hard. I have for 2 years had the same routine - very simple and should work - Mondays laundry Tuesday bathrooms Wed kitchen yadda yadda with daily quick pick up but the house is still always cluttered and yucko.

I have been on flylady and that is how I figured out my routine and ultimately I end up with a house that is deep down clean but still surface cluttered and messy. So annoying.:mad:

We are also starting another phase of our life and hopefully one of the last big changes for a long time. We are once again planning a move out of state for DH's job. This one is up July 1 and the next one is to begin August 1. It is a huge move and finally his first real job in his new profession so it will be a nice change, but still hard with a toddler. So I guess I will add to my goals "take time to smell the roses and enjoy your last 6 months in SF"

Meg

Fun and inspiring thread! My 2008 goals are to:

1) Get 2 horses trained and conditioned to compete in endurance.
    2) Get at least 1 more horse under saddle.
    3) Complete a first draft of my third novel.
    4) Eat 95% vegan.
    5) Adopt a greyhound (or two).
    6) Make more time to relax with DH. (I tend to be quite goal-centered.)
    Last edited by tamawrite; 12-31-2007 at 09:40 AM.
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

So, I was talking with DH about this thread, and his idea is that NY's resolutions have to be actions instead of goals, and have to be measureable... so here are my 2 actions, which should lead to the goals of losing weight and keeping my paperwork in order.

1 - write down what I eat daily, until I hit my weight goal, and for 1 additional month, to help with maintenance. I've been doing this since Tuesday, and lost 2.5 lbs this week!

2 - empty my in-basket every day. I haven't done so well on this one, but I do now have my 2008 files set up, so today is the first day.

I just realized that he never told me his.... oh, well!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!