Community Message Boards

Thread: Please Critique my Thai Menu

Please Critique my Thai Menu

DH and I are having friends over for NYE. They would like a Thai inspired meal. Here's what I've come up with so far...Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Thai Bell Pepper, Cucumber and Peanut Salad (CL)

Garlic Sesame Pork Tenderloin (CLBB - amcleod)
    Thai Glazed Chicken Lettuce Wraps (RR) - I'm doing this in place of spring rolls as I'm not sure I have the time to put the spring rolls together.
    Butternut Squash in Green Curry (Kahlico from Global Gourmet)
    Steamed Basmati (any way to jazz this up???)

Do I need to add a green veggie???

Any ideas for dessert?

Thanks
    Kim

looks lovely, i don't think you need anything else. as for dessert, how about a fruit salad, maybe with fresh mint or cilantro in it, and some plain or sesame cookies on the side?

here is a nice CL salad that uses a mix of frozen and fresh fruit.

Peach Salad with Cumin Dressing

2 C frozen sliced peaches, thawed
    1 C thinly sliced seeded, peeled cucumber**
    1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
    1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    2 tsp minced fresh mint
    2 tsp honey
    3/4 tsp cumin seeds, roasted and crushed
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 C fresh raspberries

Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl, tossing gently. Combine cumin, salt and pepper; sprinkle over peach mixture. Add raspberries and toss gently to combine.

**since you already have cucumber in the meal, you could sub all or part of the cuke here for some honeydew or cantaloupe with good results. as well, you could sub lime jyuice for lemon, but start with half the amount called for and taste to adjust.

DH and I aren't big on dessert, so I serve a Thai iced Coffee when I make a Thai-inspired meal:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Thai Iced Coffee

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cold Beverages

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3/4 cup French roast or other darkly roasted coffee beans
    5 green cardamom pods
    4 1/2 cups water
    3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
    crushed ice -- as needed

In a coffee grinder, combine the coffee beans and cardamom pods and pulse until finely ground, about 15 seconds. Transfer the coffee mixture to the filter of a drip coffeemaker. Fill the top of the coffeemaker with the water and brew according to the manufacturerís instructions.

Transfer the coffee to a heatproof pitcher and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours or up to overnight.

Pour 1/3 cup coffee into each of 12 small glasses. Add 1 Tbs. sweetened condensed milk to each glass and stir to combine. Add ice and stir again, then serve.

Original recipe serves 12

Source:
    "Williams-Sonoma Kitchen"
    S(Internet Address):
    ""
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Cardamom adds a spicy-sweet flavor to this cooling iced coffee. The dried fruit of a plant in the ginger family, cardamom is sold in small round pods or as whole or ground seeds. This recipe calls for pods, which are ground with the coffee beans before brewing.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0
    Miche

I don't think you need another green veggie. The menu looks great! How about some coconut ice cream for dessert?

Thanks for all of your comments. I like all of the dessert ideas, I may let DH choose. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Kim

Your menu sounds great, I would love to come to dinner. For the basmati use vegetable or chicken stock instead of water, you can also add a bit of lemongrass or Kaffir lime leave to you water for an extra bit of flavor.

I love the desert ideas, coconut ice cream is one of my favorites, what about green tea ice cream of a nice mango sorbet

Quote Originally Posted by buffygirl View Post
    DH and I are having friends over for NYE. They would like a Thai inspired meal. Here's what I've come up with so far...Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Thai Bell Pepper, Cucumber and Peanut Salad (CL)

Garlic Sesame Pork Tenderloin (CLBB - amcleod)
    Thai Glazed Chicken Lettuce Wraps (RR) - I'm doing this in place of spring rolls as I'm not sure I have the time to put the spring rolls together.
    Butternut Squash in Green Curry (Kahlico from Global Gourmet)
    Steamed Basmati (any way to jazz this up???)

Do I need to add a green veggie???

Any ideas for dessert?

Thanks
    Kim
    I hope I don't sound extra picky but since Thai food is my thing, I would not use basmati. This is a fluffy, drier, Indian rice and is nothing like what they eat in Thailand--it's taste and mouthfeel are very different. I would steam jasmine rice (also easily found) and I would not worry about jazzing it up--not only does Jasmine have a great aroma on its own, but unlike basmati in India, the Thai don't really do pilafs or anything. You could make a fried rice but I don't think you need it with your menu.

Coconut ice cream or Thai iced tea would both be great, but if you would like warmer, more winter appropriate (are you somewhere cold? I forgot to look) dessert I have a very authentic recipe on the BB somewhere for black sticky rice--visually stunning, very easy (as long as you can get the rice, most Asian markets have it) and really yummy--I can look for it if you want it.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

I LOVE Thai food and am also planning a menu for after the new year's (when things calm down a bit, hopefully!) I would LOVE your recipe for the black sticky rice if you have time to find it.

And thanks for the tips on the rice. That makes perfect sense!

Jessica

Quote Originally Posted by ljt2r View Post
    I hope I don't sound extra picky but since Thai food is my thing, I would not use basmati. This is a fluffy, drier, Indian rice and is nothing like what they eat in Thailand--it's taste and mouthfeel are very different. I would steam jasmine rice (also easily found) and I would not worry about jazzing it up--not only does Jasmine have a great aroma on its own, but unlike basmati in India, the Thai don't really do pilafs or anything. You could make a fried rice but I don't think you need it with your menu.

Coconut ice cream or Thai iced tea would both be great, but if you would like warmer, more winter appropriate (are you somewhere cold? I forgot to look) dessert I have a very authentic recipe on the BB somewhere for black sticky rice--visually stunning, very easy (as long as you can get the rice, most Asian markets have it) and really yummy--I can look for it if you want it.

I would definitely go with Jasmine or Thai black rice. Basmati is nice, but would be more suitable for an Indian-inspired meal. Otherwise, your menu sounds wonderful!

As for dessert, a friend of mine served fresh fruit topped with sweetened coconut milk after a meal of shrimp pad thai. It was light and delicious. I am not sure if there was a recipe, but I could try and find out, if you want.

Great tip on the jasmine rice, thanks for making that distinction.

I decided to add a spice cookie to my menu for a sweet as well. Not really Thai, but I thought the flavor would be nice after the spicy meal. I'm going to fix the Thai iced coffee and tea as well. And offer coconut ice cream if I can find it.

Thanks again,
    Kim

A Thai place near me has ginger ice cream that is always a nice way to cap a meal off.

Black rice is fantastic! Nice nutty flavor. of course, jasmine can hold its own. Personally, I would cook it in chicken broth and sliced green onions...but that's me...menu looks good.

Thai Black Sticky Rice Pudding

Jessica: OK, after a lot of growling and cursing--I hate my new satellite connection (we moved and it is our only option) and it was ungodly slow for some reason tonight, which I feel badly about since I am only now posting this.... here are my instructions (out of my head--so please feel free to ask questions or point out where I am not clear):

Authentic Thai sticky rice is so simple it's embarassing if you have a dinner party and people fuss. When I was in Thailand I was convinced I hated it--I don't like western rice puddings and further, the Thai desserts can be overwhelmingly sweet to someone who likes cheesecake, chocolate, etc--sweets that have a hint of salty or bitter to them. But anyway, then we made it in my cooking class in Chiang Mai, where they told us it should be sweetened AND salted to taste--and from then on I was hooked. I just surreptiously put a pinch more of salt into the bowl at restaurants when I ordered coconut milk-based desserts (puddings).

Basically I cook black sticky rice (although you can also do white--I think the black is so much more beautiful and exotic and likely to impress whoever is eating) in one pot in a lot of water (there is usually some extra deep purple water ladled into my dish, see below) until done. This I usually do throughout dinner as brown (i.e., the black) rice takes a while to cook (not sure about white). Then in another pot I slowly heat the cream from a can of coconut milk, while stirring--this is not a light recipe but you could certainly put more of the coconut water in or even water it down with your own water. I have never used light and don't really recommend it here as this IS dessert. Because of my own experience in Thailand I don't go for the wow presentation--instead I set out a bowl of salt and a bowl of sugar, both clearly differentiated and pointed out (one time DH confused the salt for sugar ) and have people scoop some rice into a small bowl, ladle some cream over it, and season to taste. It's ok if the rice is watery--the coconut is basically pure fat so it just lightens it a bit and gives you some beautiful deep purple liquid (water) in the dish. I have seen the dish served more black than white and more white than black--i.e., the ratio between the rice and the coconut milk is up to you. One 14 oz can of coconut cream usually suffices for a dinner party of 4-6.

Let me know if you have any questions--this recipe is (clearly) not a recipe per se, but rather just my instructions.

-Laura

PS www.templepfthai.com is a great source for the black rice if you can't find it locally.

PPS I would never use a long grain rice like jasmine. Half the fun in Thai sticky rice is the texture of the rice, which is radically different from jasmine. The Thai, as far as I know, don't use jasmine for any desserts.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

I like to serve sliced mango with stick rice but i'm not sure it is traditional Thai.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I like to serve sliced mango with stick rice but i'm not sure it is traditional Thai.
    It absolutely IS traditional--but making traditional Thai white sticky rice is a bigger pain in the butt in my opinion, since it must be steamed correctly and kept from drying it out. It is not a true rice pudding like the black rice is. But I think you can use the white rice to make the pudding. That's why I don't ever bother suggesting it. But I do LOVE it.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Easy white sticky rice recipe...

Laura, if you ever try my recipe I'd like to hear what you (or anyone else for that matter) think of it. My dd, who was in Thailand and enjoyed sticky rice there, likes this when I make it - she also really likes it served with coconut ice cream. The method is quite unconventional, and easy peasy, as you'll see if you read on.

Thai Mango Sticky Sweet Rice (Khao Niaow Ma Muang)

1 cup Thai white glutinous rice (aka sticky rice, sweet rice, etc.)
    1 cup plus 2 Tbs water
    1/4 tsp salt (more or less, to taste)

1 or 2 ripe mangoes, sliced or diced

Soak the sticky rice for 10 minutes or longer in warm water in a glass bowl (donít use plastic!). Soaking the rice is very important and must be done. The water level should be just above the rice, which comes out to be 1 cup of rice and a little over 1 cup of water (about 10% more). Cover the bowl with a plate and cook in microwave at full power 3 minutes. Stir the rice around to move the rice from the top to the bottom. You will notice that some of the rice is translucent or cooked and some still has a white center or the uncooked portion.
    Heat it up again for another 3 minutes. Check and see if it is done. When cooked, all the rice should be translucent. If it needs more cooking, I recommend heating up and checking every minute or so. How long it takes to cook really depends on your microwave. Let rest in the microwave for a few minutes to steam and cool a bit.

Coconut Sauce

400 ml tin coconut milk
    2 to 3 Tbs sugar, brown or white, or maple syrup, or ginger syrup
    pinch (~1/8 tsp) of salt
    1 tsp corn starch
    Ĺ tsp vanilla (optional)

You can use just 250 ml coconut milk if you want less sauce - use or save rest for another purpose (can be frozen); keep other ingredient amounts the same, regardless.
    Add coconut milk, sugar, salt, and corn starch to a small saucepan and heat, whisking frequently, until it comes to a gentle boil - do not boil hard or it might separate! Reduce heat and simmer a minute while stirring. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.

Assembly: The rice is generally served at room temperature or cold, but can be served warm. Some of the hot sauce (up to 3/4 of it) can be poured over the hot rice and allowed to absorb for 5 minutes, then be served right away or allowed to cool; the rice can then be scooped into dishes and served with a spoonful or two of the rewarmed sauce and some mango slices or cubes. Another way to serve it is to line 4 to 6 ramekins or small bowls or containers with plastic wrap and spoon warm rice into each and pack gently in, smoothing the surface; wrap and refrigerate until needed. To serve, warm to room temperature or warmer, unwrap and place rice on a plate or in a bowl, spoon warm sauce over and around rice, and serve with some mango, sliced or diced.

My recipe is adapted to suit my tastes from one at http://www.thaitable.com/Thai/recipe...ticky_Rice.htm
    Cheers! Andy

Wow, Andy, sticky rice in the microwave--you can bet I will try at some point! Thanks for sharing.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Thank you, thank you hAndyman!! We tried your recipe for sticky rice with mango tonight and loved it. And it's so easy, too. Thanks for sharing--it really remined us of the dessert we had at our long-ago favorite Thai place a few cities ago!

Oops! Only a year late, mightyh.: I'm sorry I didn't see your post. I'm really happy you tried the recipe and happy that you liked it. That dish is something that brings back memories for me too, and is something that just draws me to it for all the flavours and textures. I hope you found it easy to make, mightyh.

I made the best version yet a month ago and thought I should update the recipe a bit - I think this is finally my version to be repeated from hereon in (unless I can get enough ginger syrup in a tub of preserved ginger in syrup; btw maple syrup is exceedingly good); this recipe is, however, not for everyone, as I found out when I tried it on my sister and her bf, who weren't thrilled with it (too strange for them).

Adapted from http://www.thaitable.com/Thai/recipe...ticky_Rice.htm

Thai Mango Sticky Sweet Rice (Khao Niaow Ma Muang)

1 cup Thai white glutinous rice (aka sticky rice, sweet rice, etc.)
    1 cup plus 2 Tbs water
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (more or less, to taste)

1 or 2 ripe mangoes (Ataulfo recommended), sliced or diced
    a couple of Tbs of toasted coconut shreds

Soak the sticky rice for 10 minutes or longer in about 9 oz. of warm water in a large glass bowl (donít use plastic!). Soaking the rice is very important and must be done. The water level should be just above the rice, which comes out to be 1 cup of rice and a little over 1 cup of water (about 10% more). Cover the bowl with a plate and cook in microwave at full power 3 minutes. Stir the rice around to move the rice from the top to the bottom. You will notice that some of the rice is translucent or cooked and some still has a white center or the uncooked portion.
    Heat it up again for another 3 minutes. Check and see if it is done. When cooked, all the rice should be translucent, chewy but not hard. If it needs more cooking, I recommend heating up and checking every minute or so. How long it takes to cook really depends on your microwave. Let rest in the microwave for a few minutes to steam and cool a bit.

Coconut Sauce

400 ml tin coconut milk
    2 to 3 Tbs brown sugar, or 3 Tbs maple syrup or ginger syrup
    pinch or two (~1/8 to 1/4 tsp) of salt
    1 tsp corn starch
    1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)( use only 1/8 tsp with maple or ginger syrups)

You can use just 250 ml coconut milk if you want less sauce - use or save rest for another purpose (can be frozen); keep other ingredient amounts the same, regardless.
    Add coconut milk, sugar, salt, and corn starch to a small saucepan and heat, whisking frequently, until it comes to a gentle boil - do not boil hard or it might separate! Reduce heat and simmer a minute while stirring. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla if using.

Assembly: The rice is generally served at room temperature or cold, but can be served warm. Some of the hot sauce (up to 3/4 of it) can be poured over the hot rice and allowed to absorb for 5 minutes, then be served right away or allowed to cool; the rice can then be scooped into dishes and served with a spoonful or two of the rewarmed sauce and some mango slices or cubes. Another way (and my favourite) to serve it is to line 4 to 6 ramekins (3 to 6 oz size) or small bowls or containers with plastic wrap and spoon warm rice into each and pack gently in, smoothing the surface; spoon a Tbs or 2 or warm sauce over top and let soak in before wrapping and refrigerating until needed. To serve, warm to room temperature, unwrap and place rice on a plate or in a bowl (if you want the rice warm microwave for about 20+ seconds per plate), spoon warm sauce over and around rice, and serve with some mango, sliced or diced, around the rice and a nice pinch of toasted coconut on top of the rice.
    Cheers! Andy

Thought I'd update my sticky rice recipe with a picture. We had it tonight, a little treat for my dw (well, me too). Celebrating the return of good Ataulfo mangoes...

Cheers! Andy

Quote Originally Posted by hAndyman View Post
    Thought I'd update my sticky rice recipe with a picture. We had it tonight, a little treat for my dw (well, me too). Celebrating the return of good Ataulfo mangoes...

Thanks for the photo. Lovely presentation.

Latest presentation with some roasted coconut.
    Cheers! Andy