Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2008 Pregnancy Thread

January 2008 Pregnancy Thread

I'll take a try at our list for the month! We're still waiting to hear from Jen (nowimcooking), JenniferD, and KimCL - hopefully all has gone well. Congratulations to Robin for Olivia, Veschke for James, and Val for Nelson! Welcome to our newcomer, Apricot!

Wallingjan1 – 1/14 - surprise!
    ACooper - 1/26 - girl!
    Jessica - 1/27 -surprise!
    bbpizzapro - 1/29 - girl!
    Greta - 1/29 - surprise!
    aprilbride - 2/3 - girl!
    Delanl - 2/11 - girl!
    Apricot - 2/12 - boy!
    Missindi - 2/14 - girl!
    Chefbecky - 2/14 - girl!
    Sandee - 2/20 - girl!
    MomofMooch - 3/21 - boy!
    Lys - 3/25
    BlueMoose - 3/26 - girl!
    Alikat11 - 3/28 - boy!
    ChristineB - 4/3 - surprise!
    danikwal - 4/5
    couperine - 5/5
    sweetpea - 5/8 - surprise!
    SusanPC - 5/11 - girl!
    mst - 5/20
    2Hungry! - 5/28 - surprise!
    erinlovesmarc - 5/30
    Kerri - 6/9

waiting to hear from:
    nowimcooking - 10/28 - boy!
    JenniferD - 12/12 - boy!
    KimCL - 12/31 - boy!
    Last edited by Couperine; 01-02-2008 at 09:35 AM.
    -- Nancy

Hi ladies, I think I posted my congrats on the Dec thread, can't wait to hear from the others that may have delivered over the holidays!

I am sitting here almost 22 weeks! I am feeling so much better these days and have gained 7 lbs since my last appt...so I think my OB will be happy with me at my next appt on the 10th!

We are in nesting mode now. We currently live in a 4 level townhouse in an urban area 2 blocks from the metro, surrounded by restaurants and bars. Today, we are putting an offer in on a house in the burbs, on 2 acres of land with a pool. My commute will go from 7 miles into the city to almost 20....but I am still really excited. We will see if we get it!

Hope all are well and had a wonderful holiday!

Thanks for starting us off Nancy! I am officially having a surprise baby.

erinlovesmark -- I'm glad to hear everything is okay.

We are in paint chip h*ll trying to pick out a color from the nursery. Its a fun problem to have! We have run trough all of the green options and are now thinking about branching out to a pale orange or yellow.

Susan -- Congrats on the house! You'll enjoy the pool this summer. 2 acres is a lot; I hope you like yard work!

I hope you get the new house, Susan! We are building a house on a little over 2 acres and putting in a pool, so I know how exciting a change that will be for you. We're currently in a 2 story, already in the burbs, and I'm thrilled to be getting into a 1 story house. We just don't utilize the upstairs as well as I'd like. Congratulations on the weight gain, and I hope you had a lovely vacation, too!

2Hungry - I feel your pain - I just color matched something from the crib bedding for DS for his walls, but I'd like something a little different. I'm tempted by pale greens and pale lavender - DH thinks any yellow or orange looks like cat pee...sigh. We'll see if I get my purple dreams on Monday at the US!
    -- Nancy

2Hungry/Couperine- Thanks! Let's see if we get it. Actually, the landscaped yard isn't huge...and most of the property is wooded/low maintenance. We saw 4 deer out there yesterday! (2Hungry--it's in Great Falls near the Potomac...a far cry from Arlington!) (Couperine--building must be exciting...my DH won't do it. I'd love a ranch...I grew up in Houston and we lived in a Ranch style house....I loved it!)

Re: nurserys, we are thinking of a green on the bottom of a chair rail and then a pink toille on top. I think I want a chandaleer (sp?) too. We shall see...Dh doesn't know all of my plans yet....have to feed them in small doses 2Hungry--we have a good green from Benjamin Moore that we used in our guest room in our current place. I need to find the chip so we can replicate if we move...if you are interested I will let you know what it is when I find it.

FYI, I went to HGTV and looked at nurserys on Rate my Space...there is some tacky stuff out there but also so good ideas, just FYI.

Happy New Year to all!

And congrats Val:-) He's a cutie!

Hanging in here with 4 weeks to go. I'm ready, her room is ready.....I'm hoping these last weeks will go by fast......not really uncomfortable, just ready to move on to the next phase!

We did the room in brown and pink, I found an adorable bedding set out of brown suede and pink paisley...I don't much care for characters or things that are to flowerly, so this was perfect. WeI didn't paint as the room we're using for now is a sitting room off of our master bedroom and once she gets a little older we'll move her into one of the guest rooms.

Better get to work, lots to do before I go on my leave!
    Hope everyone is well:-)
    Claudia
    Maxine on "Aging" - "Take every birthday with a grain of salt. This works much better if the salt accompanies a large margarita."

Wow, already January.
    Thanks for starting the thread...
    I can not believe that I am having a baby THIS MONTH!!
    My goodness. Last year in February after my 2nd ectopic pregnancy I didn't imagine I would be here, now!!
    Starting to get nervous about delivery. I am now 36 weeks and a day. My bag is packed, the nursery is done. (we selected yellow...but boy oh boy it is brighter on the walls that it was on the chip) We have lots of stuff. We have an appointment with the Highway patrol to help install the car seats properly on the 8th. On the 5th I have a surprise party for my DH planned. His 40th birthday is the 6th of February so I thought having a party early would be good, otherwise with the new baby he won't get his bday.
    So as far as I am concerned I need to get through the 9th..(at least) By then the baby would be 37 weeks and everything else would be done.
    Starting today I have my weekly ob appts. I know I am having an internal today as well as a strep b test.

Hapy new year everyone!

Bridget--Wow, can't believe you are so close! Your EDD is my BDAY You will do great!

Question--Are people taking baths these days? I didn't in the first trimester but I love baths and have been taking bubble baths at a moderate (not the scalding hot that I love) temp to relax in the evenings. Anyone think this isn't a good idea?

I've been taking baths the whole time - have to watch the temp a little bit more (if you're flushed, it's too hot), but that's about it. I did them with DS too - I've already hit the point where the majority of my belly sticks out of the water while I'm bathing anyway, so there's even less to worry about when you get there.

BB - You will do great with the delivery - I promise you will absolutely know when you're in labor; even if you had the baby today, the baby would be fine. There will be a whole team of people to help you get that beautiful baby out - even if it doesn't go as you imagined, the baby will come out, and you will have done it!
    -- Nancy

I've been taking baths throughout this pregnancy and did the same with DS as well........I'm not aware of any reasons why you couldn't, especially if it helps with discomfort/back pain etc...

Bridget, regarding labor.....I felt anxious the first time around but this time feel strangely excited to go through the process again. DS's birth, all in all, was a great experience and I'm hoping I can come away with the same feeling this time around. Everything will work out:-)

And since there has to be something to be anxious about.....I feel sad/anxious that our "alone time" with DS is coming to an end, I'm certain I'm going to traumatize him for life by adding a sibling to the mix (which intellectually, I know is completely crazy, but I can't help but feel that way) and he's going to resent having to share us:-(( I'm just glad my parents are coming from Germany for 3 weeks in February to help out and spend lots of time with DS while I'm busy with the baby, hopefully that'll help!
    Maxine on "Aging" - "Take every birthday with a grain of salt. This works much better if the salt accompanies a large margarita."

Susan, fingers crossed that you get the house. We live in Bethesda, which is a nice combo of city and suburb. I commute to D.C. on the Metro, which I love (most of the time). We recently put on an addition in hopes of staying for a while.

In regards to nursery color, my advice is to choose the color you like, and then go one shade lighter on the paint chip. We learned that lesson before DS was born when our friends painted their nursery yellow and it was practically neon, even though it was lovely on the chip. (I still remember driving up to their house and seeing the "glow" of the nursery through the window!) We just painted the baby's room a Duron color called Gratifying Green. We used our "go lighter" strategy, but then I thought maybe it was too light when I saw it in the can. It was perfect though -- I love it.

Aprilbride, I totally agree about mourning the loss of time with DS. My son (almost 3.5) has hit a really cute stage, and it's so nice to be able to have real conversations, go places together, etc. I am definitely feeling sad about losing that.

Thanks for the nice support..

I agree with the go a shade lighter theory. Our yellow is borderline neon...I do love it (DH would be really upset if I didn't)...I think I would've loved it more mellow too!!!

I've been using the little bottles of sample paint from Lowe's. I love them. Although DH says we have so many of the chips now we can just tape them all to the walls and call it a day. Thanks for all of the tips.

Susan -- Good luck getting the house. Hopefully the market is as slow in Great Falls as it is in my neighbor hood and they will bend over backwards to work things out with you. I've been taking baths too and just make sure I don't feel flushed. It helps so much with my hip and back pain.

BB -- How exciting! You have quite the schedule too. Its funny how you wait and wait to get pregnant and sometimes fear that you never will, and then when it happens everything goes so fast!

Oh, and I have to report that I am in love with my body pillow.

ericlovesmarc - responding from the December thread. Glad you're a-ok. I was worried.

re: paint chips. I found a paint color that I was going to use in all the hallways, and ended up going with it for the baby's room too. It's Gentle Cream from Benjamin Moore. Very subtle, warm beige. Painters are putting the second coat on now and I love it. Accents will be white and pink, this way it's not in-your-face girlie and can change with tastes through the years. Carpet is coming Friday and it's a little darker, like a Cafe au Lait.

Can't find any curtains I like, but will buy sheets this weekend and just make them curtains. After this weekend, her room will be officially done, and I can definitely relax a bit.

Got into a friendly debate yesterday with my family over how pregnant I am. I was complaining about something and said that I just didn't feel like doing something at 8-1/2 months pregnant. My mom corrected me and said I'm 7-1/2 months pregnant. Um, no I'm not. She said that when I said 8-1/2 months, it sounds like I'm going to deliver very soon. Well, six weeks is pretty soon. I explained that since you're pregnant for the full 9th month, it makes me 8-1/2 months (34 weeks on Thursday). Am I wrong?
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

I'm at the top of the list!!! I feel like I have truly been pregnant forever. But the end is in sight (did I mention that I'm at the top of the list ) Physical therapy has really helped with my pubic pain and I think things are starting to shift around. Now I'm just excited to get going.

Missindi- I never fully understood how the month thing worked. Everybody seems to say something different. All I know now is that I am very pregnant.

Pam

claudia and chefbecky, I was also worrying about losing the alone time. but it just never happened that way. the newborn sleeps so much that you still have that alone time. and I found the bond with my other kids only grew stronger with the new arrivals.

I'd actually have to agree with your mom, missindi. because if you are 8 1/2 months pg now, then on your due date, you would be a full 10 months pregnant.

but you ARE in your 8th month now. you are just not finished with your 8th month yet. you are working on finishing your 8th month now. next month at this time you will be working on finishing your 9th month, therefore next month you will be 8 1/2 months pg.

all a matter of semantics. and yes, you ARE very pregnant!

Congratulations Val!!! Nelson is adorable. I can't wait to hear how different (if at all) raising a boy is for you.

Hi all of the rest of you all! I should really stay away from here, as it just reminds me of how UNPREPARED I am for this baby.

I am 36 weeks, and all looks good. We are still on target for a vaginal birth after 2 planned c-sections (breech, elective planned #2). The baby measured approx 6 lbs a couple of weeks ago, so seems like baby #3 will be on target for approx 9lbs. My second was 9 lb 4 oz. My doctor is extremely supportive of me trying a VBAC, and I am excited and nervous at the same time. Should be very interesting.

My oldest (who'll be 4 at the end of March) has already been telling me how he is going to help me change the pee pee diapers. And my 2 year old always helps change our friends' babies' diapers. So, I hope the entrance of baby #3 won't rock their worlds too much.

I have not brought up any of my baby stuff from storage, and I have not even thought about a hospital bag. Nursery--not that either. We finally have room for a nursery (since we didn't have our own home with the first 2), but I am just planning on keeping the baby with me until I'm ready to move the boys together--I'd like to keep my 2 year old in the crib as long as possible, and in his own room.

So, aside from being thru this 2 times before, I am completely unprepared (I should look back at my posts from the other pregnancies b/c I think I was the same way for both of them--a common theme).

Oh, I did get a Moby wrap that I am really excited about! I know it will be crucial to have free hands and mobility with this one as we're out and about a lot.

Claudia & Chefbecky, my first 2 are 19 mos apart and although it hasn't been necessarily easy, I love watching them together. Right now they are playing Super Laith and Super Saif with towels tied around their necks as capes. I think they benefit much more having eachother, than they suffer from it!

Well, since I can't seem to post more than once every other month, I'm not sure I'll be back before baby arrives. If not, best of luck to those who go before me. And wishing happy and healthy pregnancies for those of you who follow...

Greta

Quote Originally Posted by aprilbride View Post
    And since there has to be something to be anxious about.....I feel sad/anxious that our "alone time" with DS is coming to an end, I'm certain I'm going to traumatize him for life by adding a sibling to the mix (which intellectually, I know is completely crazy, but I can't help but feel that way) and he's going to resent having to share us:-((
    I feel the same way. DS is only 19m and I worry we did this too soon. Too late to change it. I am due in 26 days and fairly uncomfortable. I can't believe after all these years that this might be my last month on the pg thread. We do not plan to have any more children.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Checking in after my ob appt....baby's head is low, cervix still closed. Seems like things are right on track.

Missindi, I thought you were right about the 8.5 months. As I saw it I am 9 months now with one to go.....
    I have no idea what is right...

I'll consider myself 8 1/2 months pregnant when I'm a couple of weeks from my due date.

Quote Originally Posted by valchemist View Post
    I'd actually have to agree with your mom, missindi. because if you are 8 1/2 months pg now, then on your due date, you would be a full 10 months pregnant.
    But I don't think it would be a full 10 months, since I would be starting the tenth month, not completing it, you know? I remember the math being a bit screwy before, and you're right, semantics. Baby is coming in six weeks, period.

When I dropped Nicholas off at school this morning, the teacher said one of the class babies that was born this week (I think there are three of us due over the next 6 weeks or so) was a girl. No problem except all the doctors and u/s confirmed it was a boy the entire pregnancy. Ooops. No pink in our nursery (save for some curtains I'm picking up this weekend), but definitely some pink clothes. Wouldn't be devastated in the least (love boys!), but if that happened to us, he would definitely be nameless for a bit as we couldn't agree on a boys name we both liked.
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Yikes MISSINDI! That must have been a shock for the family.

I can't even think about the weeks vs months thing. I just have to go by straight weeks. When I try to translate it into months I get all confused.

OK, maybe I'm the only one who is feeling this way, but I thought I'd ask ... Suddenly, I am feeling completely terrified of the actual birth. I'm not sure why this is -- I don't remember feeling this way the first time, even though it was a totally new experience. And I had a fairly easy delivery with DS. But suddenly, the realization that now she actually has to GET OUT is scaring me to death! I'm sure I'll get over it (I hope so!), but at least once a day, I burst into tears thinking about it.

missindi, it's funny because I've started to be afraid that maybe this is really a boy. (Which would be fine, except that I'm mentally prepared for a girl.) The only pink in her room is the pink bumper and a little touch of pink in the area rug, so I picked out a potential boy bumper and rug to go with the green walls, just in case.

chefbecky...

I think / hope it is totally normal to be afraid.
    I watch the baby birth shows on TLC and Discovery health and cry almost every time the babies are born. When I do my thought is can I really do this.....

Frustrated

I got a call from my doctor's office today that my hemoglobin is low. I've always tended to have low hemoglobin...now it's 10.3 and they want me to go on iron supplements. The problem is that iron supplements don't work with my stomach. I've had stomach problems for quite a few years now and I've really had to restrict what I eat so I don't feel sick all the time. My stomach has been relatively good for the past month or two...before that I was having a lot of trouble. I don't want to go on iron supplements and send my stomach into a downward spiral again...I don't want to feel sick all the time because it really affects my everyday life. I know you guys can't tell me what to do, and I know I need to talk to my doctor. But I'm just feeling frustrated and stressed right now (which isn't good for my stomach either...). And yes, I've been to doctors about my stomach before and nothing has been solved. I think it's just something I have to live with.

Hi Everyone,
    I think I finally figured out how to post a picture!

Here's Olivia Catherin, born 11/26/07. She's now 5 weeks and is doing great. She cracked her first smile on the day after Christmas, such a treat! She opens her mouth and snorts, it's so cute. She's gaining well and we're still breastfeeding, though Kim I can totally relate that sometimes it feels like all I do is walk around the house with my top open! Breastfeeding in the early weeks is definitely harder than being pregnant! Congrats to you on your DS too.

So now I'm 5 weeks post-partum from my csectiton and feeling great, completely recovered (ok, no situps yet!). My 6 week checkup is next week and I can't wait to get the all clear to exercise a little bit for the last 6 weeks of my leave. I'm already down to about 18 lbs from my starting weight, but I think I gained about 50 overall just before delivering her!

Claudia, you're almost there! I totally know what you mean about mourning the "party of three" status with DS. Nicholas has been saying "I need my mommy time" to me occasionally and it breaks my heart. He also says "I miss playing with you" because he was always like my little buddy, but now Olivia's the center of my attention most of the time. It's sad but he loves her too, and understands she'll get bigger. It's definitely an adjustment!

About being afraid of labor... I went in with the frame of mind of "you're probably not going to be there for more than two days." Right, you'll probably not go more than 48 hrs of labor, your baby won't be in that long from when things get really started. I've had 29 hrs of labor then c-section with DS1 then went back for another baby, and somehow we have selective memories of the horrors of it all!

I think I'll check in on the new mommies page, hope to see some of you there too!

Bluemoose, just wanted to mention that SloFe seems to be a little milder than just the standard iron supplement, and there are a ton of iron rich foods that you could eat too. I've also heard that cooking in a cast iron pan helps. Even cream of wheat is iron fortified. Maybe there are other things you can eat/take that boost your iron. I was anemic too and took 2 slofe's a day and still never got out of the "below normal" range but it did get a little better.
    Last edited by rmg_CA; 01-03-2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Comment for Bluemoose

Robin, she's gorgeous!! Soo cute:-) I'm glad you're all adjusting well! I actually can't wait to be reporting the very same thing. Maybe the fact that "baby sister" will bring Doodlebops Tickets for Elliott when she arrives will put her in his good graces right at least for the first few days. How's the daycare arrangement working out? Do you send him three days? That's what we're planning on doing with Elliott for the duration of my leave. .

Had the first of my weekly visits today and escaped the internal exam;-) Baby is low which I can definetely feel and we'll just take it week by week.

Congrats KimCL!

Wow, lots of babies showed up that week! Olivia is adorable. Chefbecky, I don't think it's weird at all. I actually had a minor panic attack and a couple of tears while I was getting dressed for the trip up to L&D after she'd checked my dilation. Birth is such a thing unto itself, it would be strange IMO if we *didn't* have a very strong reaction to its anticipation.

Our three-year-old is reacting with alternations of curiosity and jealousy, depending largely on how tired she is at the time. I read one suggestion that you use nursing the baby as a chance to read to the older one, which we've done a couple of times so far.

James is astonishing, not fussy at all! When he's awake he just looks around with this thoughtful expression. We had some jaundice issues, he's had blood drawn every day of his little life until today to make sure it wasn't at a dangerous level, but as of yesterday the pediatrician said we can stop doing that. He's gaining weight, which is a relief after the struggles we had early breastfeeding with our daughter.

Good luck to those next up.

Just got back from my appointment, I will be 35 weeks tomorrow. Everything was fine, but I have my dreaded internal next week. I will be curious to see if my body is getting ready though.

I am planning to breastfeed and I think I have more anxiety about that than giving birth! I'm trying to read as much as possible, I just really want it to work.

Congrats Kim and Welcome Austin! And rmg_CA Olivia is adorable!

Veschke--after reading your "explosive BM's" comment on December's thread I went out and bought more waterproof pads!
    "Nobody likes beets, Dwight! Why don't you grow something that everybody does like? You should grow candy" -Michael Scott

Wow, we are one happening thread!
    Congrats Kim and RMG