Community Message Boards
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2008 Pregnancy Thread

Many companies that do the announcements will mail the envelopes before you deliver......

Quote Originally Posted by bbpizzapro View Post
    Many companies that do the announcements will mail the envelopes before you deliver......
    Really? Didn't know that ... now it makes more sense.

Delanl - Should be 4 weeks, 6 days ... apparently I'm the one with new math.
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Christine - hang in there with the bed rest.

Erin - hope all goes well with your next appointment.

Can we talk c-section? I had my weekly appt. yesterday. I am due in 2 weeks and this baby is making no effort to present herself. I have had little cramping, no thinning & she has not dropped at all. Per the OB, if there is no significant change at next weeks appt., we're going to schedule a c-section for the delivery.

The only surgery I've ever had is the removal of my wisdom teeth, so I'm a little wigged out about the surgery side of things. Any thoughts? What can I expect for recovery?

that's really odd about the c-section... I would get a second opinion before going that route. I have read in many places that c-sections are done too often these days, for reasons that are really non-reasons. I am no expert and not a doctor, obviously. but I'd just get a second opinion.

my baby NEVER dropped the first two pregnancies. never mind two full weeks before the due date. and I don't think I started effacing or dilating til after the due date as I recall. I also had no cramping or contractions (not even BH) til the onset of labor.

ACooper - I'm with Val - you should get another opinion. I felt absolutely fine with DS1 (some B-H but not bad) until his actual due date when I started labor. I was never dialated or effaced at the one week visits, and I hadn't dropped in the last appt before I delivered. The on-call doctor did 7 C-sections while I was in labor - everyone but me. I was fortunate that my regular OB got into town in time and came in to do my delivery. The sad case is that it's a ton easier to do 7 1-hour surgeries rather than wait for 7 women to go through labor, especially for first timers.

That being said, you may want one - my friends who had them said it took them a while to feel comfortable lifting things i.e. the baby, but it's supposed to heal fairly quickly. They all wanted to do another one for the next baby, especially for a scheduling issue. I'm not sure what you've read from old posts, but it sounds like they give you an epidural and restrain your hands to make absolutely sure you stay out of the surgical field. Apparently the baby is out within the first 15 minutes or so, and the rest of the time is spent fixing you back up.

Personally, I'm vaginal with an epidural. I was able to walk to my room when they were ready to move me, about an hour after delivery. I had a little tear from the delivery, but I never noticed it those first few weeks. It took me longer than the 6 week wait to heal inside; I don't think I felt normal during sex until almost 3 months - most women heal faster than this with vaginal deliveries.

I hope this helps somewhat - the bottom line is that you and your OB will decide what is best, but you do have a choice when it's two weeks away from your delivery and they are trying to convince you to go c-section. At this point, it is your decision - you have the right to decide to wait until your due date or later before considering a c-section especially if this is your first baby - they don't have any prior experience with the way you labor to help guide their advice.
    -- Nancy

Delurking on the c-section topic ....

I think that's odd, too. You're two weeks away yet! Even with my second, I didn't start dialiating until about 39 weeks, and I didn't make any progress until I was actually in labor. On the day I had my first, I was a fingertip when I went in with leaking water.

Why aren't they talking induction instead of c-section? Sounds like a jump to me ...
    "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."
    ~Rajneesh

ACooper, I am no expert since I am 37 weeks and 3 days....but.
    Last week at my appt my ob told me the babies head was very low, he said he was impressed..I asked him what that means and he said it had nothing to do with when she will be born, more important she should fit.
    He told me most first timers are don't drop until in labor...

I agree, it sounds a little like jumping the gun to me, as well. Allthough I have to say that with DS1, my OB told me all along she thought I'd have to have a c-section because I'm small, my pelvis is small, and she was concerned about the baby's size. Well, I managed just fine:-)

I had my first internal yesterday (which really didn't hurt, just felt uncomfortable) and I'm 1 centimeter dialated and 50% effaced. I'm seriously considering the option of being induced the week of the 28th, less than a week from my due date, for various reasons...I'll think about it until my appt. next week and go from there. We also figured out yesterday why my lower back has been killing me, she's in the OP position, meaning the hard part of her skull is pressing against my spine, which is not something I'm enjoying:-( I'm going to try a few different things (yoga, swimming etc.) to see if I can get her to turn over, but the prospect of dealing with that any longer than I have to is not very appealing to me at the moment....So we'll see:-)
    Maxine on "Aging" - "Take every birthday with a grain of salt. This works much better if the salt accompanies a large margarita."

Quote Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
    Can we talk c-section? I had my weekly appt. yesterday. I am due in 2 weeks and this baby is making no effort to present herself. I have had little cramping, no thinning & she has not dropped at all. Per the OB, if there is no significant change at next weeks appt., we're going to schedule a c-section for the delivery.
    Delurking as well ... I made zero progress by my due date - 0% effaced even. My OB would have suggested that we wait it out for a bit, but my non-stress tests were right on the cutoff so we decided to give it one week after my due date and then push things along a bit with a cervical ripening. Then if that didn't work, they'd induce me.

My water broke two days before the scheduled ripening - although believe it or not, even 9 hours after my water broke I'd STILL made zero progress, so they had to do the ripening anyway.

So ... the c-section does seem to be premature (no pun intended) - my approach was always that the OBs know what they're doing more than I did, but I'd certainly want to know why they were jumping ahead so quickly.

If you do have to have a c-section the recovery is tougher, but ultimately not a big deal and I'm sure you'll do just fine. Best of luck to you!

Missindi, I'm still here! My main time to post is usually at work, and the past few weeks have been so busy. I'm having horrible heartburn too -- to the point where I'm afraid to eat. Anything with tomatoes or any degree of spiciness is a nightmare. (And those are my favorite foods!)

Nothing much else to report ... I'm ready! Too bad it's another month to go.

Quote Originally Posted by chefbecky View Post
    Missindi, I'm still here! My main time to post is usually at work, and the past few weeks have been so busy. I'm having horrible heartburn too -- to the point where I'm afraid to eat. Anything with tomatoes or any degree of spiciness is a nightmare. (And those are my favorite foods!)

Nothing much else to report ... I'm ready! Too bad it's another month to go.
    I read somewhere that caffeine isn't good if you have heartburn - fyi. And we're not supposed to lie down right after (or very soon after) eating. I haven't noticed specific things affecting it, but she definitely didn't care for the Indian buffet I had two weeks ago, that's for sure! The restaurant owner, who we've known forever, told me to have more Indian food when it gets closer because the spicy food is known to help bring on labor. I'm all for that, but need to stick to the stuff I usually order (which she liked just fine, thankyouverymuch), as opposed to branching out at the buffet.

Thanks for the responses regarding the c-section. It is interesting to hear that a lot of you didn't drop until you actually went into labor. With 2 weeks to go, I know that she could still come at any time.

I'm not concerned about it enough to get a second opinion. He has been my doctor for the last 9+ years and I'm comfortable with him. I don't get the feeling that he's trying to push me in this direction for convenience. The concern is that if we try to wait it out longer it will cause her to be more difficult to deliver and likely end in a c-section anyway. If that's the case, I'd rather just save a step and go for the c-section to begin with.

At this point we still have time, so I'll hang in there to see what happens in the next week or so.

I cannot believe an OB is talking about a C-section 2 weeks before a due date and I would want a medical reason. A C-section is major abdominal surgery. I had no dilation or effacement at 38w1d and my son was born at 39w with no inducement of any kind. Obviously, I am not an MD and have no experience other than my own pgs and reading seven or eight birth books. But that sounds very odd to me. I agree with ppers that you should trust your OB, but the C-section rate in this country has gone from 5 percent when I was born to 30 percent now. If it were me, I would get a second opinion.

I am at 38w and truly, truly miserable. Can't sleep, can barely eat and cannot move without severe pain. I exercised until a few weeks ago when the pubic symphysis got so bad I couldn't move without tears and I tried to eat right and gain right, so I have no idea what I did to deserve all this. My mom is visiting and offered to stay until the baby arrives and I am considering taking her up on the offer. I am hoping it won't be long as Adam was born at 39w.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

I reread my post and realized how negative I sounded. I am really excited to meet this little person and we are planning a waterbirth; I meet all the criteria unless I have meconium in the amniotic fluid or run a fever during labor. We didn't have this option when Adam was born and I am looking forward to trying it.

This has just been a really hard pregnancy from beginning to end and I am ready to shift from pregnancy to Mom of Two.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Jessica--Don't worry about sounding negative--this is the place to vent! Hope you meet your little one very soon and hope it all goes according to your plan!

Thanks for the replies and the concerns. After re-reading, I think maybe my post wasn't clear. We're not talking about doing the c-section NOW. We're still in watch & wait mode. He's concerned that there has been no advancement toward signs of labor at all but we all know that it can happen suddenly and at any time.

I discussed inducing and the concern there is that if we induce when conditions aren't more favorable (ie - any dropping) that we will create a long lobor that will ultimately end in a c-section anyway. If the section gets scheduled, it won't be until around her due date anyway.

I apologize if this wasn't clear in the other post.

I hope things are going well for everyone else. Jessica, I hope things get better for you and you can get some rest. Hang in there.

((Jessica)) Hang in there - you're so close!! It would probably be a huge help to have your mom there for the extra time now - how nice of her to offer.

OK, it's official. I can no longer see my feet unless I bend forward a little bit, and I carry fairly small. Broke down and bought a scale this week and can't see the numbers on it unless I lean forward.

4 weeks, 5 days to go...

You bought a scale when you're 35 weeks pregnant?! Wow, you're brave (or have far stronger self-esteem than I do)! At 30 weeks (having gained over 30 pounds ), I just put mine away!

Quote Originally Posted by MomofMooch View Post
    You bought a scale when you're 35 weeks pregnant?! Wow, you're brave (or have far stronger self-esteem than I do)! At 30 weeks (having gained over 30 pounds ), I just put mine away!
    LOL - likely neither. Haven't had a scale since we moved into the new house last June but figured a) the docs are telling me my weight weekly anyway and b) want to finally get back into shape after the baby comes ... it's as good as time as any.

((((Jessica)))) don't worry about complaining. I hope these last few weeks go quickly for you.

If anyone is looking for some clothes I'm finding great things online (as long as you don't count the 1980's flashdance style dress I ordered from old navy -- that one will go back). Motherhood.com, oldnavy.com and kohls.com are all having great sales with very reasonable shipping. My only problem is pants. I have to find something soon though because I am still stuffing myself into some pre-preg pants and using rubber bands to keep them shut. My husband keeps asking me if my belly button is popping out already and I have to explain to him that, no, its just my jury rigged pants latch system sticking out. I think I will have to force myself to go to an actual store today and try something on -- my least favorite thing.

ETA: ACooper your dr's reasons make a lot more sense now.

My favorite maternity clothes came from Target, most everytime I went there they had stuff even on the clearance rack!!

((Jessica)) I completely understand!!! I am a CRAB monster today.

I had my 37 week appt last week, and I was soooo happy to know that my Dr doesn't do internal exams leading up to the due date. I knew I loved him for his overall non-interventionist approach, but being this is my 3rd dr for my 3rd baby in a 3rd city, I wasn't sure his take on the internals.

I've known people to be dialated for a month, and some who are not dialated at all but still go into labor around their due dates...I never understood the need for internals. And, when he explained why he doesn't do them, he said just that--they've become routine, but they aren't usually a sound predictor of whether you'll go early, on-time, or late.

I am just trying to enjoy the "luxury" of having only 2 kids to take care of until baby #3 makes his/her appearance. Some days it's hard to keep that in perspective, especially when I'm feeling crappy, but I'm trying...

I'm actually pretty excited to let nature take it's own course...

Can't wait to hear about off the new babies.
    Greta

Thought it was time that I finally checked in. I am currently 19 weeks and I can't believe I am still last on the list! I had a doctor appointment this week and everything was fine although my iron was a little low so I got some pills. My iron levels really took a nose dive starting about now with my last pregnancy so I am trying to be a little more proactive. I am at a different practice in a different city and I feel like I am having a hard time communicating with some of the doctors in this practice. I tore pretty badly the first time around (3rd degree) and when I asked about it, the doctor basically said if it was close to a 4th degree he would handle labor differently, but sometimes a 3rd degree tear doesn't mean very much. Um, I'm not an idoit. I can gather from the conversations I had with my doctor afterwards that it was a little more than nothing...not sure if we need to do anything differently this time, but a little reassurance would be nice. I mean, I sat on a donut for 2 weeks!

I guess I have been having some trouble accepting the fact that I am going to have two kids. My son is currently 16 months old and getting more rambunctious everyday. I have no idea how I am going to handle another one. I have moved on to the acceptance phase and just figure, I'll find a way. Everyone else seems to.

Jessica - have you tried swimming? That might give your body enough of a break from the extra weigh so you will feel better out of the water. It always seems to help with my aches and pains.

Acooper - where in SC are you? Not familar with that city. I really think some doctors have been at this long enough that they can tell. Glad to hear that you trust him and are feeling ok about everything.

I guess that is it. Just kind of hanging out here at the halfway point. My next appointment with have our big ultrasound, but we aren't finding out the sex, so it is just another ultrasound. I hope the ladies in the final stage have a comfortable last couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerri View Post
    I tore pretty badly the first time around (3rd degree) and when I asked about it, the doctor basically said if it was close to a 4th degree he would handle labor differently, but sometimes a 3rd degree tear doesn't mean very much.
    Yes, I still lurk around here. Force of habit. Anyway, Kerri, I don't know if this will help, but I also had a third-degree tear with my first and had a lot of anxiety about the prospect of a repeat. The midwife I talked to about it told me that one usually tears less with subsequent births (I got away with a second degree this time, which caused minimal soreness and felt fine a week later). Lots of things can affect it, including the position in which one gives birth.

If you're not happy with the doctor's response, make a fuss about it. It's part of their job to communicate with you.

HI Kerri. I hope you get the communication issues worked out with your doctor.

I'm a native of Fountain Inn (Outside of Greenville.) I currently live in Blythewood which is on the NE edge of Columbia. We're about 30 min from downtown Columbia and little more than an hour from Charlotte, NC.

Where in the upstate are you?

I'm at 36 weeks and 4 days now. I've got an appointment on Monday and we'll start going weekly. I'm DYING for this baby to make his appearance as I'm so ready to be done with pregnancy. I've been having some pretty strong contractions, pretty close together but it's never consistent enough to be the real thing. And there's SO much pelvic pressure. I never had this with my other two births. I'm getting anxious, excited and nervous.

Jessica, I'm two weeks behind you and I'd love to hear about how your water birth goes. Our hospital does not offer that as an option, but since I'm going with a midwife rather than a doctor this time, I'm hoping she'll have some more tricks up her sleeve to help relieve some of the pain of labor. It's mostly the transition that I'm getting nervous about. Because my labors progress so quickly, when I am in transition, the contractions are literally one on top of another. I have almost no down time and I remember the intensity of the pain.

Those who have gone natural--what techniques have you found to be most effective when dealing with labor pains? I'm good until about 4/5 cm, then it gets more intense, but still tolerable. It's when I get to about 8/9 that I feel like I can't go on. What could/should I expect from my midwife? Do they have training like doulas? What things have your midwives done to help you? Do they coach you through the labor? This is so new to me, as the other two boys were barely delivered by the doctors who arrived just in time to catch the baby. I'll ask at my upcoming appointment, but I thought I'd see what the experience was like for others.

37 weeks 4 days and also ready to meet the baby....
    Don't get me wrong, I like being pregnant for the most part...( all but sleeping) but I really want to meet her!!

People keep asking me if I am ready...
    Well, I want to be a mom, her room is ready, her clothes are washed, the car seats are in... but am I ready. I don't know if you truly ever are ready, especially for the first one.
    I am scared and excited all at once.
    I never really have cared for a baby and can't even say for sure I remember how to change or diaper a baby from the classes I took.

bbpizzapro,

I think we are on the opposite spectrum, other than our due dates--I still have NONE of my material things ready, but am as ready as I could be with experience. May be we can rub off on eachother?

Greta

I am definitely ready and have done all my parts (and then some), except for packing a hospital bag. The DH, on the other hand, is another story. The only thing I've asked him to do, and I've been asking for easily the last two weeks, is for the crib to be put together, and it was "on the list" this weekend. Problem is he's in the midst of starting a new job and during the transition, he's putting in time at both and "free" time is pretty much non-existent. Couple that with the fact that we haven't sold the old house yet, so he was doing stuff there this weekend ...

I'm hoping Tuesday night, the nagging will pay off and he'll just do it. On the flip side, no matter what still needs to be done, we have to remember the babies will never be the wiser, you know?

Hello all... wanted to let you know that Jessica, her DH and big brother Adam welcomed baby David Eder yesterday (Sunday) at 5:35 AM. He was 8 lbs. 13 oz. and 20.5 inches long. They came home from the hospital today and I'm sure Jessica will be here to tell you more sometime soon.

Congratulations Jessica, and welcome David!!!