Community Message Boards

Thread: How to keep fresh vegetables (once cut up)

How to keep fresh vegetables (once cut up)

I love vegetables however, I hate the preparation. My goal is to loose 5lbs a month and I want the veges around for the snack time!

So if I were to go to the store and get lots of celery, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, etc.... can I come home clean and chop up and keep for a week?

If YES???? then what is the best way to keep them? Ziplock bags, glad containers?

What works for you?

THANKS!
    Though a flower may not bloom, In our heart, We still know the beauty of it's blossom

First a disclaimer, I do not sell Tupperware.....

I love my Tupperware FridgeSmart containers! I have kept broccoli and asparagus for 2 weeks or more in these things. They have different sizes that will fit all sorts of veggies. They work on a airflow system. Certain types of veggies need certain amounts of air. They have these little vent holes that you close or shut depending on what type. They give you a little chart to refer to.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

I always plunked them in a bowl of water which I changed regularly.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I also have no connection to Tupperware but have to recommend Fridge Smarts. I bought the entire set over 5 years ago and use them on a constant basis. They work great!

I have recently learned that fresh vegetables should be stored in a separate drawer away from fresh fruits, as the fruits will cause the vegetables to spoil more quickly.

ETA Cucumber spoils really fast in my fridge, but it seems to last much longer if I make it into a marinated cucumber salad, which could be a yummy snack, also.
    “the greatest risk of eating is getting run over on the way to buy your food, not from the food itself.”

Ian Shaw, Is It Safe To Eat?