Community Message Boards

Thread: Sub for canned Great Northern Beans?

Sub for canned Great Northern Beans?

I was thinking about making the North Woods Bean Soup recipe sometime this week... it calls for canned Great Northern beans. If I can't find them at the store (I've never looked so I have no clue if the store carries them or not), what would be a good substitute?

I was thinking along the lines of cannellini beans but I'm not sure. I don't want to go to all the time & trouble of making something new & have it turn out badly just because I whiffed on the type of beans to use.

Any suggestions??
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by suebear37 View Post
    I was thinking about making the North Woods Bean Soup recipe sometime this week... it calls for canned Great Northern beans. If I can't find them at the store (I've never looked so I have no clue if the store carries them or not), what would be a good substitute?

I was thinking along the lines of cannellini beans but I'm not sure. I don't want to go to all the time & trouble of making something new & have it turn out badly just because I whiffed on the type of beans to use.

Any suggestions??
    i would probably use cannellini beans... or just about any white bean. i feel like beans are pretty interchangable.
    - Josie

Quote Originally Posted by avariell View Post
    i would probably use cannellini beans... or just about any white bean. i feel like beans are pretty interchangable.
    Thanks, Josie!!! I'm on my way to the store so I'll scope the bean situation out!
    Sue

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

I'll be shocked if you can't find them though, they are quite common. But, I agree, cannelinnis will work fine.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Found 'em!!!

I'd just never looked for them before so I had no idea!!

Thanks for all the help!!!
    Sue

Just for future reference, navy beans would work well too. Love bean soup!
    FavoriteTraditions.com
    Celebrating Life's Special Moments