Community Message Boards

Thread: Side dish suggestions for Tortilla Soup

Side dish suggestions for Tortilla Soup

Happy New Year!

I'm having some friends over for dinner this weekend and need some menu suggestions. I'm making tortilla soup, which is quite fitting for the storm that is approaching Northern California. I was thinking of making corn bread and a salad of some sort. Does anyone have any ideas? I've been searching cooking light and the food network, but nothing has jumped out at me so far. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

What about cheese quesadillas?
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

I made this salad with tortilla soup for Christmas. We thought it was just wonderful and the perfect compliment to the soup. I skipped the tortilla strips.

Caesar Salad with Chile-Cilantro Dressing

The extra dressing will keep several days in the refrigerator.

Ingredients
    1/2 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortilla, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
    Cooking spray
    6 cups torn romaine lettuce
    1/4 cup unsalted pumpkinseed kernels, toasted
    1/3 cup Chile-Cilantro Dressing
    1/2 cup chopped tomato

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 375.
    Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 for 5 minutes or until crisp. Cool on a wire rack.

Place lettuce in a large bowl. Add pumpkinseeds and Chile-Cilantro Dressing; toss gently to coat. Place about 1 1/2 cups salad on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons tomato; sprinkle evenly with tortilla strips.

Yield
    4 servings

Nutritional Information
    CALORIES 77(39% from fat); FAT 3.3g (sat 0.5g,mono 1.4g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 3g; CHOLESTEROL 1mg; CALCIUM 50mg; SODIUM 171mg; FIBER 2.5g; IRON 1.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 10.2g

Chef: Billy Strynkowski
    Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2007

Chile-Cilantro Dressing

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons unsalted pumpkinseed kernels, toasted
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1 1/2 teaspoons crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons water
    1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt

Preparation
    Place the first 8 ingredients in a blender; process 15 seconds. Gradually add cilantro; process until smooth.
    Combine 2 tablespoons water and yogurt in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add cilantro mixture; stir well.

Yield
    1 1/2 cups (serving size: 2 tablespoons)

Nutritional Information
    CALORIES 39(72% from fat); FAT 3.1g (sat 0.3g,mono 1.7g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 0.8g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 19mg; SODIUM 178mg; FIBER 0.2g; IRON 0.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 2.2g

Billy Strynkowski , Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2007
    Stacy

Thank you for your ideas! I thought about doing quesadillas but was leaning more towards a salad.
    The chile-cilantro dressing sounds delicious. I think i'll try that. I'll let you know how it turns out.

It may be too late, but this link will take you to my review of Ensalada de Noche Buena. It went really well with Posole and so I imagine it would go well with tortilla soup.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...11&postcount=1