Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cookie sheets vs baking pans

Cookie sheets vs baking pans

In the new Cooks Illustrated they rated baking pans...the ones with the 1 inch rim. I always called it a jelly roll pan. They recommended it for all your baking-cookies, vegetables, potatoes...anything you bake in a shallow pan.
    I was always taught that cookies bake better on a rimless pan. If you didn't have one, you turned the jelly roll pan upside down and baked the cookies that way. What do yall think - jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with no sides?
    They also tested reusable pan liners such as silpat and determined that parchment paper is better.

I use both the jelly roll type pan for cookies and the rimless cookie sheet pan for cookies. I use both parchment paper and silpat. It all just depends on what else I am cooking and what I have available.

I really can't say that I can tell the difference either way. Maybe it depends on the type of cookies they were making?
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

I use 1/2 & 1/4 sheet pans for everything. I purchased them at a restaurant supply store. I like them better than my old airbake cookie sheets & I have never noticed a problem with my cookies.

I have silpat but very rarely use them. I purchased a box of parchment at a restaurant supply store about a year ago - 1000 sheets of full sheet pan size paper for about $40. I cut it in 1/2 or 1/4 to fit my sheets. I use the parchment for everything and I don't ever expect to have to purchase any more - In a year I have barely made a dent in the box.

I use those half sheet pans with sides too, after seeing a review/test on them somewhere years ago as being the best for baking cookies. I wish I remember where I got them or the brand name. (I am sure it was on this BB, so I suppose I could try a search.)

they have served without fail for years. I only use parchment. I tried silpat but found the spreading was too variable, depending on the recipe. plus I found them to be a pain to clean fully.

Quote Originally Posted by valchemist View Post
    they have served without fail for years. I only use parchment. I tried silpat but found the spreading was too variable, depending on the recipe. plus I found them to be a pain to clean fully.
    Ditto! I have 1, maybe 2 silpats, but I never use them when baking cookies because I prefer the results I get from parchment both in the cookies' texture/thickness and the clean-up time. I got a deal on some good-quality half sheet pans at a discount store (Big Lots?) years ago when I lived in MA. Mamasue actually had told me the store had them, so I went right out and bought some. They still work great with no signs of needing replacement anytime soon!

Kari

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim719 View Post
    Ditto! I have 1, maybe 2 silpats, but I never use them when baking cookies because I prefer the results I get from parchment both in the cookies' texture/thickness and the clean-up time. I got a deal on some good-quality half sheet pans at a discount store (Big Lots?) years ago when I lived in MA. Mamasue actually had told me the store had them, so I went right out and bought some. They still work great with no signs of needing replacement anytime soon!

Kari
    yeah, I think I recall getting them at the same time as you. and now that I think of it, maybe you actually got me one or two and brought them over?? how my mind fails me! if so, thanks again!!

I only use sheet pans (rimmed) and love them!
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

i only use jelly roll/sheet pans - on this particular issue, i go with alton brown - i don't want a one trick pony. the sheet pans are much more versatile.

however, i am surprised about the silpat. laura and i have debated about this before because she strongly prefers parchment. i LOVE my silpat. it works for everything and all of my cookies come out as expected. if anyone wants to send me their silpats, i would gladly accept
    - Josie

Quote Originally Posted by valchemist View Post
    yeah, I think I recall getting them at the same time as you. and now that I think of it, maybe you actually got me one or two and brought them over?? how my mind fails me! if so, thanks again!!
    Yeah, I had bought you two of the same pans when I bought some for myself, and gave them to you as a gift. I wasn't sure if those were the same ones you were still using, since you mentioned getting them after reading a review on the BB. I figured you must have upgraded or something. That was way back when Julia was just a baby! Now you have 3 little bakers-in-training. Congratulations on the newest little guy!!

Kari

I thought I was the only one who uses jelly roll pans for baking cookies! I love having pans that can be used many ways, as jelly roll pans can.

Mine are by Wilton and they're shiny aluminum, from Michaels (they're also available online at Wilton's website). I have Wilton baking pans in the 8" round, 9" round and 8" square sizes, too. They're inexpensive and work great.

I use jelly rolls as well and have never owned a rimless cookie sheet. I wonder why some think cookies bake better on them?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by avariell View Post
    i only use jelly roll/sheet pans - on this particular issue, i go with alton brown - i don't want a one trick pony. the sheet pans are much more versatile.

however, i am surprised about the silpat. laura and i have debated about this before because she strongly prefers parchment. i LOVE my silpat. it works for everything and all of my cookies come out as expected. if anyone wants to send me their silpats, i would gladly accept
    Too funny, I just sent you a link to this thread (not seeing you had posted) saying "see I am not alone!" Well ever since this debate (weird timing as we just had it this past xmas) I have been trying to use my silpats more--mostly because I HATE cutting the parchment paper to fit my sheets. From a waste perspective, yea. But yeah I prefer the parchment. Have any of you noticed that sometimes chocolate in particular becomes a real mess on the silpats? CC cookies are ALWAYS done on parchment in my house.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    I use jelly rolls as well and have never owned a rimless cookie sheet. I wonder why some think cookies bake better on them?
    I believe it is because the hot air circulates around the pan and under the cookies. I have always grabbed my rimless sheet first for cookies (I got one as a gift) but I grab the jelly roll second (so almost every time I make cookies) and I can't say I notice a huge difference.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

I am like the OP, I always understood that cookies should be baked on rimless pans (cookie sheets); cookies turned out better when there weren't sides blocking heat & air flow. These days they seems to be out of fashion, and rimmed pans are often labeled cookie sheets rather than jelly-roll pans. Rimless are harder to find than they used to be, too.

I have both but tend to grab the half-sheets and use the silpats over parchment and never noticed a difference in spreading.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I also use a sheet pan -- probably largely since its multipurpose and kitchen space is tight. Plus, generally use parchment. Sometimes I find if the dough is soft -- using parchement is a bit of a hassle, since it lifts the paper with it, when lifting the spoon etc. But I love not having to grease the pan.

Do you nonstick sheet pans or the regular shiny aluminum ones? Right now I only have nonstick (which I tend to cover with parchment anyway). But I would like to get a 1/2 sheet pan that isn't nonstick ----- I could stick that under the broiler rightt? Plus, to save space, I would like to try my hand at pizza, so I was thinking I could just turn it over and use that as a pizza stone (read that its a good alternative to a pizza stone).

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    Do you nonstick sheet pans or the regular shiny aluminum ones? Right now I only have nonstick (which I tend to cover with parchment anyway). But I would like to get a 1/2 sheet pan that isn't nonstick ----- I could stick that under the broiler rightt? Plus, to save space, I would like to try my hand at pizza, so I was thinking I could just turn it over and use that as a pizza stone (read that its a good alternative to a pizza stone).
    Thanks.
    We have 2 non-stick jelly roll pans that we use for everything. I've been trying to talk DH into some regular shiny aluminum ones for a while now, but he's not biting. He likes the non-stick. They're fine for me, but the non-stick coating wears off too fast and the resulting uneven finish is worse than if it had not been non-stick to begin with. I'll admit that they would probably last longer if I was better about covering them with foil when doing chicken breasts or sweet potatoes and parchment when baking cookies.

About the pizza stone--you really don't need an expensive one, ours was all of $11 I think and it came with a peel. It lives in the oven all the time, so it really doesn't take up that much space. Well, ok we do have to take it out of the oven when baking but not using the stone so that the heat circulates evenly, which is sometimes a pain. But it goes right back in the oven when whatever we're baking is done.
    “the greatest risk of eating is getting run over on the way to buy your food, not from the food itself.”

Ian Shaw, Is It Safe To Eat?

using parchement is a bit of a hassle, since it lifts the paper with it, when lifting the spoon etc. But I love not having to grease the pan.
    When do you ever grease a pan for cookies? Cookies have such a high fat content that i've never found greasing to be necessary; in fact, most recipes specify using an ungreased pan. I can see where a low-fat cookie might need a greased pan, but for regular cookies ... ? Parchment does make for easier clean-up, though.

Quote Originally Posted by potato_moose View Post
    About the pizza stone--you really don't need an expensive one, ours was all of $11 I think and it came with a peel. It lives in the oven all the time, so it really doesn't take up that much space. Well, ok we do have to take it out of the oven when baking but not using the stone so that the heat circulates evenly, which is sometimes a pain. But it goes right back in the oven when whatever we're baking is done.
    Actually, I've heard that leaving the stone in actually helps an oven maintain an even temperature when baking other things so mine is in there even when I bake. The only time it comes out is if I want to use that rack.

I have 5 shiny aluminum sheet pans and one nonstick. Inevitably if I use the nonstick in a rotation of cookies and forget to adjust the time that pan comes out darker than the others. Oops.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Ok stupid question alert..... when you say you leave it in the oven all the time....

I only have two racks (I'm thinking that's the prob) in my oven, and a fairly small oven to boot.... I would think I would have to take it out quite a bit so I could put something on the lower rack, when I'm using both racks.

Or, maybe I use just one rack more than i think.

I only have 2 racks in my oven, and I leave the pizza stone on the bottom rack all the time. If I need to put 2 cookie sheets in at the same time, I just put 1 directly on the pizza stone and the other on the top rack, and then switch them halfway through baking.

Kari

I use my jellyroll pans for roasting vegetables and other things, but have always used my airbake rimless cookie sheets for cookies. I think they have always cooked more evenly! I also only used Parchment. I bought a Silpat years ago after reading the raves on this board, used it once, then rolled it up and put it in the bottom drawer. It's been there ever since. My cookies spread out like crazy and crisped up too much on the edges. I'm not sure what else I could use it for, it's too small to roll pie crust on, so so it stays in the drawer!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Ok stupid question alert..... when you say you leave it in the oven all the time....

I only have two racks (I'm thinking that's the prob) in my oven, and a fairly small oven to boot.... I would think I would have to take it out quite a bit so I could put something on the lower rack, when I'm using both racks.

I rarely need a second rack so it's not normally an issue for me but it isn't tough if I'm going to need both to just pull it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    I'm not sure what else I could use it for, it's too small to roll pie crust on, so so it stays in the drawer!
    Silpats work great for cooling things like homemade caramel, toffee, and other candies, and also homemade caramel corn. Anything really hot and sticky that needs time to cool/set up goes on a silpat-lined baking sheet for me.

Kari

Quote Originally Posted by potato_moose View Post
    We have 2 non-stick jelly roll pans that we use for everything. I've been trying to talk DH into some regular shiny aluminum ones for a while now, but he's not biting. He likes the non-stick. They're fine for me, but the non-stick coating wears off too fast and the resulting uneven finish is worse than if it had not been non-stick to begin with. I'll admit that they would probably last longer if I was better about covering them with foil when doing chicken breasts or sweet potatoes and parchment when baking cookies.

I hate nonstick cookie sheets--for all of the reasons you mentioned. I switched to aluminum when I registered for my wedding.

Interesting re: the pizza stone. I feel like I read somewhere that it made the heat in your oven more even and so it was good to leave there. I never take mine out.

ETA I see that Robyn and others already said this--I got distracted by my kids and hit submit way after writing this....
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

I have both cookie sheets (without sides) and half-sheet pans. I use half-sheet pans (jellyroll pans) and Silpats most of the time, mainly b/c I'm too lazy to pull out the parchment. The Silpats just live on the pans, so they're always easier to use.

Actual cookie sheets are really better to use for some cookies - I always use those for cut-out cookies, since I want to get them off the pan pretty quickly before they get overly browned. Without the sides, I can just slide the parchment and cookies off onto a cooling rack.

I haven't noticed much of a difference between parchment and Silpat.

I had 3 racks in my old kitchen and it was rarely an issue. *sigh*

Anyway I do need to take it out a decent amount now, for the reasons you list. I just throw it on top off the stove--and of course I usually forget and have to remove it hot. But it is a minor pain and is still the best way to store the thing IMHO.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

I always used to use jelly roll pans. Then we remodeled the kitchen two years ago and the oven came with 3 cookie sheets, the kind that fit perfectly on the rack. I've switched to those and have been happy with the results.
    I don't own a slipat, so it's parchment paper for me.

My pizza stone sits on my bottom rack all the time. Haven't had a problem there.
    Marie

-- The future is no place to place your better days

I have 4 aluminum with rims, and 2 stainless steel flat. I use the stainless steel ones more often, since I find it is easier to remove the baked goods, especially yeast coffee cake and breads.
    I am not a fan of anything coated, except my different size woks.
    I think I got the aluminum pans with rims at Costco or Sams. The stainless ones I got years ago in a cookware store that was closing.
    Curleytop

I have 3 non-stick, rimless cookie sheets from Williams-Sonoma, which I love.

I also have 3 half sheet pans, one non-stick with a roasting rack, and 2 shiny aluminum Nordic Ware ones. I got the Nordic Ware ones on sale at BJ's, 2 sheets plus one lid for $17

I have a question...I used the Nordic Ware sheets to bake some Christmas cookies this year. I noticed the baking times for these seemed LONGER than using my non-stick (which have a darker finish) pans. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around -- am I mistaken?

I like my Silpats, but not for baking. For baking, I love parchment paper.

And my pizza stone lives on the lower rack of my oven too

Funniegrrl, I can't think of a specific recipe right now, but I have some cookie recipes that call for greasing the pan. I just use the parchment though, to cut down on the fat.