Community Message Boards

Thread: Fitness Contest Ideas

Fitness Contest Ideas

My friend and I both have fitness and weight loss goals for this year, and are having trouble finding motivation. We thought we would try to challenge each other; like a contest based on points for exercise and weight lost (or percentage of body weight lost). Has anyone done a challenge like this, at work or with friends? Any ideas?
    Abby

Life is good...wag your tail

My sister and I have taken a little different approach. We didn't want to be competitive with each other. I had a small chunk of money that we got as a refund for something during our house selling/buying process. I bought a 2 year CD with the money and established it as a reward. DH, myself and my sister all set fitness goals for January 2009 plus a shorter term goal (every quarter). Once we've all reached our big goal then we'll decide as a family (including all the kids) how to spend the reward money. Only rule is that it has to be in support of an "active lifestyle." So it can't be tickets to watch a sporting event but could fund a camping trip or purchase a canoe or be divided and used individually etc.

We each set our own goals as we're at very different places and it's okay for the goals to change if necessary (but you have to talk about why you want or need to change it).

Every quarter we're trying to make sure we do at least one active activity as a group and do a healthy potluck meal together. The kids are involved too but it's not as formal for them.

I look forward to what others post because I think we'd enjoy building in some shorter term incentives to keep us going.

Kim

That sounds like a great family challenge, Kim! I love the idea of getting the whole family working towards a healthier lifestyle. My husband might be up for joining us. When I was discussing this with my friend, we thought we could either work together toward a goal, or compete against each other. We're open to either.
    Abby

Life is good...wag your tail

I really dislike contests that are based on amt of weight lost. Everyone's body is different, and there is no way you can control how much weight you'll lose in a given amount of time. Contests like that can also encourage unhealthy weight loss methods.

My gym occassionally does "contests" that are more pass / fail. There is no one winner, but everyone who accomplishes the goal gets something. My two favorites were:

Appalachian Trail - you can use the distance of the entire trail or just a portion of it. The goal is to walk or run the distance in a certain amount of time. You can include equipment like biking or ellipticals or stair-climbers, but because those are either more challenging or faster, it's not a one-to-one ratio on miles. For example, if your walking speed is usually 4mph, you figure out what your mph miles is for biking to calculate the ratio. You could use the same method to "walk" between any two points -- LA to NY, London to Paris, whatever. It's fun to put up a big ol' map and mark your progress.

Ironman Triathlon -- use the distances in the triathlon to be done in a certain time period. For the marathon portion, same procedure as for the AT above, except no biking. There is a biking component to the triathlon, so that's one-to-one on the distance. For swimming, we could count swimming as well as pool-walking. I believe they also allowed you to count aerobics classes as part of the marathon component; I forget the ratio, but probably something like 20 minutes = 1 mile.

I agree with funniegrrl -- basing it on amount of weight lost is ultimately unhealthy, and may turn out to be more discouraging than not.

Her suggestions of equating distance to "real" distances can be fun -- we use a similar thing for people who walk on our municipal indoor track (a cross-Canada walk distance, and prizes for people when they complete each province, and the entire width of the country).

Or you could use points for sticking to a meal plan, or trying a new whole grain or vegetable in a meal, or for completing a certain number of cardio or weight sessions in a week, or extra points for doing/training for outside activities (such as a real 10K or half marathon), or for trying anything new (a weekend spent on a climbing wall).
    fresh hot random! mad endeavour on vox
    Ask Palpatine: "Just because I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith doesn't mean you can't get to know me."

Quote Originally Posted by devillion View Post
    I don't know if this is what you all had in mind, but there's a great website called The Studliest Man Contest that is designed specifically for making administration of group fitness challenges easy. Odd name I know, but it actually is pretty cool.
    Reported.
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

“Other creatures receive food simply as fodder. But we take the raw materials of the earth and work with them—touch them, manipulate them, taste them, glory in their heady smells and colors, and then, through a bit of alchemy, transform them into delicious creations.”
    ― Judith Jones, The Tenth Muse: My Life in Food