Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO Ideas for Prizes for Chili Cookoff?????

ISO Ideas for Prizes for Chili Cookoff?????

We are having a chili cookoff and I want to offer prizes for first, second and third place winners. Any ideas for inexpensive prizes? TIA Darla
    Read and Feed!!!

A subscription to Chile Pepper magazine: www.chilepepper.com/html/

A big ol' Lodge cast iron dutch oven: www.lodgemfg.com

My daughter won a chili cookoff one time and the prize was10 or 25 pounds of beans! I think she is still eating them!

Penzey's Chili Powder. (Size of your choice).

...and a not so serious prize

As "honorary mention" you can offer half of a stirring spoon - like the Homer Simpson Chili episode where the stirring spoon had partly dissolved in the chili.
    DH once won a nicely mounted crooked nail for coming last in a race. He displayed it with pride for many years
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Oooh - maybe some Rancho Gordo beans would be a nice gift? I'm only saying that since you're not in Texas, where beans in chili are an abomination.

lots of good suggestions so far-- how about another one? i'd give little bottles of various gourmet or just different hot sauces-- a natural accompaniment to chili. i also think that little jars of penzey's, or another good brand, of Pure chili powders, would be awesome. chipotle, ancho, etc.

A 6-pack of a cold brew or a mini keg? Margarita mix?

A ristra (string of dried chilies) or a garlic braid.

A bar of Voges chocolate -- the red fire with cinnamon and chili or another of the Aztec group. (Good stuff!)

The chili pepper magazine or a chili cookbook (I have a couple of paperbacks -- Hot Spots, Texas on the Halfshell -- more a barbeque one, adn smoe others that aren't visible from here)

A chili pepper tie, string of chili pepper lights, a chili pepper hat (can't remember where I saw that one -- totally silly)

a Sam's size jar or can of jalapenos

Pepto Bismol for the consolation prize?

And I'm one Texas who likes beans in chili. With or without, here. The bag of beans would be a fun one for me.

I like the hot sauces/chili spices idea. I would be really psyched to win something like that. And the chili pepper lights are a fun idea...we have them and they're really cute in the summer. Also...good call on The Simpsons, swedish cook. One of my favorite episodes from my favorite show!

Ecookbooks has this one in their sale section.

Thank you so much you guys!!! So many good ideas. I'm emailing these suggestions over to my fellow committee member. Some of those "joke" gifts are pretty good. Might have to lean that way. One of the gifts has got to be the huge bag of beans!!! Darla
    Read and Feed!!!