Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned the Hard Way

Lessons Learned the Hard Way

This one is in the "jump while the iron is hot" category. I am a rose lover. "The father of miniature roses," Ralph Moore, who will be 101 January 14, is closing his legendary Sequoia Nursery in Visalia, CA. I always thought, "One of these days I'll stop by on a trip to southern CA." Too late. What was I thinking? How many years did I think I had?

Any lessons you'd care to share?

Kay

Lesson learned:

Make sure that you are running to something, not running away from something.

Do your oil changes. Otherwise you blow an engine on a Honda less than 70,000 miles on it.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Life's too short to put up with cr*p.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Do your oil changes. Otherwise you blow an engine on a Honda less than 70,000 miles on it.
    Yeah, I've learned that lesson too .
    Abby

Life is good...wag your tail

quarterly compound interest.
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Don't be afraid to ask for help when you clearly need it.

Pay attention to your gut reaction.

A broken CV boot, left unfixed, becomes a costly broken CV axle.

Don't dance around - just ask. There's too much ambiguity otherwise.

Just because Grandma made it doesn't mean it was pulled from the earth and painstakingly pickled/brined/jellied/roasted to legend status. Having lost one grandmother before learning how to make her specialty, I was determined not to let it happen again.

Me, to grandmother: Would you send me your famous lemon meringue pie recipe? I made one last night - the meringue was gorgeous, and the filling flavor was good, but the texture was a little off.

My grandmother: How could the texture be "off"?

Me: It was a little grainy. I don't know if I didn't zest the lemons finely enough, or if I overcooked the egg yolk custard, or if it was just too humid and it didn't set properly.

My grandmother, after a pause: Really? They don't make lemon pie filling mix anymore?
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?" - attorney Bob Loblaw, Arrested Development

"Spend time with your kids so we don't have to" - Florida Dept. of Juvenile Justice bumper sticker

www.nostinkycheese.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by stefania4 View Post

Just because Grandma made it doesn't mean it was pulled from the earth and painstakingly pickled/brined/jellied/roasted to legend status. Having lost one grandmother before learning how to make her specialty, I was determined not to let it happen again.

Me, to grandmother: Would you send me your famous lemon meringue pie recipe? I made one last night - the meringue was gorgeous, and the filling flavor was good, but the texture was a little off.

Me: It was a little grainy. I don't know if I didn't zest the lemons finely enough, or if I overcooked the egg yolk custard, or if it was just too humid and it didn't set properly.

My grandmother, after a pause: Really? They don't make lemon pie filling mix anymore?

That's funny!!

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    Yeah, I've learned that lesson too .
    Autumn, thank you for sharing that, I thought I was the only idiot who'd done that one.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

If you adopt a fish from your co-wroker, don't try to bring it home on public transportation.

Listen to yourself. You know what is best for you.

My life has gotten so much better, and I have stayed out of SO much trouble since I figured that one out.

When you buy a boy fish and a girl fish from the fish store, and the nice employee tells you that they will mate, don't just smile and say "well, that will be fun."

Put the boy back.

Because 40 fish do not belong in a fish tank meant to hold two.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Take time today for the things that matter most. I mean the things that really matter most, not just the ones that matter most right now. When you spouse or child dies, you will care much more whether you gave that long hug than whether the electric bill got paid a day late.

Better communication could solve 95% of our problems. Have a friendly conversation, and watch your troubles evaporate.
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Autumn, thank you for sharing that, I thought I was the only idiot who'd done that one.
    Robyn - to make you feel better, here is my "oil change" saga. Many moons ago, when I was a "young thing" I bought a used truck. I had had it for about three weeks when driving down the road the engine seized up and just DIED. I barely managed to get it into neutral and coast to the shoulder. I had the truck towed to my mechanic (a nice guy that despite having lived in CA for years,still retained his TX drawl.) When I asked him what was wrong with it, he told me that my engine had died (thrown a rod, and a bunch of other stuff.) I said "But WHY did it die?" Mechanic: (with drawl) "Well, hon, ya got to put oil in it." Me: "But I haven't even made a payment on it yet, why should it need oil?!?!?" So, $3000 later I have a new engine. My B-day is coming up and what do I get from my dad? A custom made fridge magnet that says "Have you checked your oil?" To this day, when I call my dad he usually begins the conversation with "have you checked your oil?" ( I usually tell him that's why I got married, so I wouldn't have to check it!) So, fast forward to a few years ago. Dad's b-day is coming up. I found a card that said "Dad, in honor of your birthday, I checked my oil today..." (Inside card) "Still black and icky!"

BTW, about 2 months after the engine blew on that truck, the tranny went too. So my lesson learned was: Even if the nice old man selling the truck (who reminds you of your grandpa) has a log book showing everytime he did maintenance on the truck, don't trust him and have the truck checked by a mechanic!
    "This better be important! Is the frickin' meadow on fire?" -- Charlie the Unicorn

That's really funny.

Setting: at a car repair shop, after the car suddenly died on the highway and the engine started smoking.

Repair guy: You need a new engine--this one is burned up.

Me: What happened to it?

Repair guy: Well, you ran out of water.

Me: (interior monologue) the engine uses water?
    Me: (to repair guy aloud) Oh.

Lesson learned: Not only does your oil need to be checked, but make sure there is water as well!
    “the greatest risk of eating is getting run over on the way to buy your food, not from the food itself.”

Ian Shaw, Is It Safe To Eat?

I loved this one too! That reminds me of when I asked my mom for the recipe for some lemon-poppy seed muffins that my girls loved. She said "Well, you go to the store and buy the boxed mix".

Robyn - I saw that our local school district is offering a car maintenance course for women in March and I really do think I'm going to take it. When I first met DH we were talking about have Triple A coverage one day and I said "I have it because I refuse to lie on my back and change a tire". He just looked at me and said "If you're lying on your back to change a tire, you definitely need AAA!"
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

Quote Originally Posted by mrswaz View Post
    When you buy a boy fish and a girl fish from the fish store, and the nice employee tells you that they will mate, don't just smile and say "well, that will be fun."

Put the boy back.

Because 40 fish do not belong in a fish tank meant to hold two.
    This advice applies to hamsters and gerbils too.

Learn to laugh at yourself -- people are funny! I sure wish I'd learned it before I got so old!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

The lesson that took me a while to learn is when you first meet someone and are getting to know them and they tell you that they are trouble, lazy, worthless, crazy, moody (you can fill in the blank here) BELIEVE THEM! Dont do what I did and tell them Oh, dont be so hard on yourself and ignore what they just told you.
    Beware of the dog and I wouldn't trust the cat either ~ on a sign somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by 2HUNGRY! View Post
    If you adopt a fish from your co-wroker, don't try to bring it home on public transportation.
    Not to turn this into a fish thread, but.... feed your fish, or you will end up with only one, who has fed himself.. (DS, not me!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Vinca View Post
    The lesson that took me a while to learn is when you first meet someone and are getting to know them and they tell you that they are trouble, lazy, worthless, crazy, moody (you can fill in the blank here) BELIEVE THEM! Dont do what I did and tell them Oh, dont be so hard on yourself and ignore what they just told you.
    We learned a related lesson -- if a man's mother says that all the men in the family are no good, believe them!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Get it in writing or you can't count on it.

Document, document, document.

Save the receipt.
    Every day is great when you help someone hear better.

Two wrongs DO NOT make a right...it only makes the one commiting the second wrong, a jerk.

Get it in writing or you can't count on it.

Document, document, document.
    This one cost us close to 18,000 dollars, recently.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

If you're in the car or somewhere out in public and your small child says she has to throw up, don't waste time asking, "Are you sure? You were fine a minute ago."
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

This totally cracked me up!
    "Auntie, you are a good cooker." ~ My nephew, age 5

"Don't take life too seriously...cause nobody gets through it alive"

***Got me through 2 divorces until I found the love of my life

GREAT thread!

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Quote Originally Posted by 2HUNGRY! View Post
    LMAO! Similarly, if your friend offers to adopt your goldfish, don't let your batty mother drive over to said friend's house in her VW Beetle in a torrential downpour, you carrying the fishbowl (the short, wide sort - not the classic deep and narrow type) on your lap. Much hilarity will follow for years to come -- none of it on your part.

#2: Office webmail times out after five minutes of inactivity. If you are going to spend 20 minutes writing an exhaustive status report to your out-of-town boss, write in Word and save early and often.

#3: Yea, Kinko's is over-priced, but a bargain compared to the heartache of going into the office on the weekend, thinking you'll just print those personal documents at no cost - when the printer jams and you can't cancel the print queue.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I have been wracking my brain to think of mine since this post started. The previous post turned the light bulb on.

After you write an email at work, reread it. If it can't be hung on the bulletin board in the lobby - don't hit enter. Don't write in an email what you don't want 100 people to read.