Community Message Boards

Thread: Marcy's Legendary Chocolate Chip Cookies

Talking Marcy's Legendary Chocolate Chip Cookies

I bought Marcy Goldman's A Passion for Baking before Thanksgiving, but am just now getting into the book. It's a beautiful book, and quite enjoyable to read. The recipes are diverse, and many provide great wow-factor. I've got a lot of baking to do

This was my first recipe -- WOW! These are fabulous. I took them to a dinner party tonight, and I think everyone had at least 3 of them (plus the lemon poppyseed cake I made). I know there are many chocolate chip cookie threads, but these deserve their own

They are rich and chocolatey and buttery. They don't spread like Toll House cookies either. This recipe is definitely a keeper, as these are some special cookies.

I typed the recipe as written, but I didn't use the double baking sheet as recommended. I just used a sheet with parchment.

The recipe says it makes 7 to 10 jumbo cookies (each cookie is made with 7 to 8 oz of dough ). I made much smaller cookies (but still very nice sized), yielding 4 dozen. For my oven (after some experimenting), I determined 12 minutes the right baking time. I let the baked cookies cool on the sheets for 5 to 10 minutes.

Marcy's Legenedary Chocolate Chip Cookies
    from A Passion for Baking, Marcy Goldman
    Makes 7 to 10 jumbo cookies (or 4 dozen nice sized ones )

"These cookies have remarkable girth, amazing flavor, chewy centers, and a buttery, vanilla-kissed batter. You need two hands to hold one of these awesome cookies and three friends to share one with. I recommend double-strength vanilla. I would also use a mixture of chopped Lindt semisweet chocolate as well as regular good-quality chocolate chips."

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
    1-1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1 TBSP pure vanilla extract (I used vanilla paste from TJ's)
    2 large eggs
    1 egg yolk
    2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
    1-1/2 cups chopped semisweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 350. Stack two baking sheets together and line the top sheet with parchment paper. Arrange oven rack to upper third of oven.

In a mixer bowl, cream butter with sugars until well blended. Add vanilla, eggs, and egg yolk. Fold in flour, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips, and chopped chocolate and blend well to make a thick batter. If batter seems soft and greasy, add 2 to 4 TBSP more flour. Dough should be soft but not too greasy or slick. You can also chill it 10 minutes if you think it has enough flour or let it stand 20 minutes. Either approach will help cookie dough "set up."

Scoop or form balls of 7 to 8 ounces of dough (yes, weigh it!) and place on prepared baking sheets about 2 to 3 inches apart. If you don't have a scale, use 1 cup dough per cookie; each will measure 3 inches in diameter once placed on the baking sheet. (Obviously you can only bake a few of these at a time.)

Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until cookies are nicely browned on top and just set-up looking. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet 15 to 20 minutes before removing.

Mmm.....thanks. My boys are trying to get me to bake cookies this weekend, so maybe I'll give these a try.

Thanks!

I have had this book on my wish list and now I really want it!

I have to go out of town for work next week, so these will be perfect for the boys to have, miss Mommy and think of me

Oh evil evil. And if I like it I will want the book too and I just acquired 4 new baking books plus 3 additional cookie books!
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Alleycat,

So glad to hear these are good. You are right, this is a beautiful book with unusual recipes. I have only made one recipe from it so far, the Strawberries and Cream Shortbread Cookies but I was a bit disppointed: the taste was okay not great (and I even splurged onPlugra butter) and the dried strawberries baked up dark brown rather than red like in the picture. I am really looking forward to making this recipe though, thanks for posting!
    Michelle

I tried these today and they do have great flavor.

It's true that they don't spread as much as Toll House, but I found that they were also more cake-like than Toll House which tend to turn out nice and chewy for me. Maybe it's the added egg yolk.

I did add the extra 1/4 cup of flour since the dough seemed a bit too soft. I also did not add all the chocolate - I don't like too much chocolate in my CCC, so I added one bag of Ghirardelli bittersweet which is 11.5 ounces or almost 2 cups, I believe.

I'd like to try them again as I was using an off brand salted butter - that's all I could get at the country store just down the road. It didn't even have a grade on the outside of the package AND it cost $3.99!

I prefer a chewy CCC but these are definitely a very good cookie.

I'll try to post a picture later........

Last edited by lindrusso; 01-14-2008 at 06:15 PM.

What a relief. I thought from the thread title that this Marcy was at it again.

I made these this afternoon, and mine were not cakey at all. Chewy and oh so good! I added maybe a tablespoon of flour extra. I used LOL salted butter, so used a scant 1/2 tsp in the cookies. I did put my dough in the refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes while the oven was heating up and I did some prep work for dinner.

DH and I think they are excellent. I had a bag of Guittard chips, so used that for the 1 1/2 cups, and 2 cups of Ghiradelli bittersweet. I used what I consider my 2 Tbsp scoop, and I was generous with that, so I got a little of 4 dozen cookies for the batch. I baked just 8, and made/ froze dough balls with the rest. I also baked for 12 minutes. These give AB's Chewy a run for the money!

Now I need to order the book
    Last edited by Molli526; 01-13-2008 at 04:58 PM.

DH is now on #4 - I think he likes them better than The Chewy, which is saying A LOT!

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso View Post
    I tried these today and they do have great flavor.

It's true that they don't spread as much as Toll House, but I found that they were also more cake-like than Toll House which tend to turn out nice and chewy for me. Maybe it's the added egg yolk.

I did add the extra 1/4 cup of flour since the dough seemed a bit too soft. I also did not add all the chocolate - I don't like too much chocolate in my CCC, so I added one bag of Ghirardelli bittersweet which is 11.5 ounces or almost 2 cups, I believe.

I'd like to try them again as I was using an off brand salted butter - that's all I could get at the country store just down the road. It didn't even have a grade on the outside of the package AND it cost $3.99!

I prefer a chewy CCC but these are definitely a very good cookie.

I'll try to post a picture later........
    When I chop chocolate it gets really flaky, so I think I assumed those extra flakes and bits of chocolate made the dough chewier. I haven't made this recipe yet (am planning to) but that was my gut instinct upon looking at it. So maybe yours were cakier bc you left it out? Those who have made this as written--did your chopped chocolate end up (at least partially) melting into the dough?
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    It doesn't matter how many times I look at this website, I still get completely hysterical.
    Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by ljt2r View Post
    When I chop chocolate it gets really flaky, so I think I assumed those extra flakes and bits of chocolate made the dough chewier. I haven't made this recipe yet (am planning to) but that was my gut instinct upon looking at it. So maybe yours were cakier bc you left it out? Those who have made this as written--did your chopped chocolate end up (at least partially) melting into the dough?
    I used Ghiradelli chips and Guittard Chips, so all chunks, no flakes. I would have used Toll House (instead of the Guittard) had I not found them in my baking stuff area. The baked cookie dough to me, was chewy.

These really are an awesome cookie!

Now to rationalize I don't need the cookbook!

Quote Originally Posted by ljt2r View Post
    That could be. Or it was the extra flour - though I've had stiffer doughs turn out chewy, so maybe it's the chocolate.

I'm certainly not keeping my paws off them, cakey or not!

OMG-I saw someone mention the WW recipe cards before, but totally missed the site the first time around. The Franfurter Spectacular is quiet a sight, but the Fluffy Mackerel Pudding is hands down the most disturbing!!!! <insert vomit smiley here>.

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso View Post
    That could be. Or it was the extra flour - though I've had stiffer doughs turn out chewy, so maybe it's the chocolate.

I'm certainly not keeping my paws off them, cakey or not!
    Did you chill your dough at all? I did mine for 10-15 minutes, so maybe that was the difference? I did that instead of adding the extra flour.

I'm glad you guys tried 'em and liked 'em. Mollie, glad DH likes them so much!

I didn't add extra flour or refrigerate. I was too anxious to get them in the oven

Laura, I used Baker's for the chopped chocolate (that's all I had in the drawer). I had flakes, which I threw in the dough. Now that you mention it, I guess they did melt a bit, contributing to that chocolatey goodness!!

DH and my stepkids finished these off today. (And I had 3 BUT I went for an 8 mile walk this AM, so it all balances out, right? )

Those WW's cards are hilarious! I crack up every time, wondering what the heck people were thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Molli526 View Post
    Did you chill your dough at all? I did mine for 10-15 minutes, so maybe that was the difference? I did that instead of adding the extra flour.
    I didn't chill the dough, but I would think that would mostly effect how much they spread, not how chewy they are. But maybe I'm wrong about that......

For the sake of science, I had one that I put in a tupperware from yesterday, and it was still chewy and really yummy! I am going to get this book now!

Ok - I tried these today, didn't add extra flour and chilled for about 20 minutes before I cooked them, and mine are cakey as well. Mine look pretty much like Alysha's - they are smooth on top, instead of the tell-tale lumpy bumpy appearance of most chewy cookies. They taste ok, but I'm not a fan of cakey cookies. I wish I had the magical chewy touch like Molli! I wonder what the difference is?

Thanks for reminding me about these

Mine were not cakey at all. Nice and chewy. I don't know what the problem could be. Sorry you didn't like them much; I'm not a fan of cakey cookies either so I can appreciate the disappointment.

I thought of something - I didn't do the stacked cookie sheet trick - just baked them like normal (regular size as well). Could that be it maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by leightx View Post
    I thought of something - I didn't do the stacked cookie sheet trick - just baked them like normal (regular size as well). Could that be it maybe?
    I didn't stack mine either. I'll look in some of my cookie books to see if they mention why a cookie could have a cakey texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmatazz49 View Post
    It doesn't matter how many times I look at this website, I still get completely hysterical.

first time for me. 15 minutes later, i'm still laughing.
    ~ Learn something new every day ~

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    I agree no matter how often I see that website it has melaughing hysterically!

This Marcy had another choc chip cookie that was one her website that was an adaptation of the Nieman Marcus one. It's very good and doesn't spread but that's more from the amount of ground oatmeal in the recipe. Having tried so many variations of choc chip cookies I think I'm staying with the 36 hour ones.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!