Community Message Boards

Thread: I'm going to be one of those posters...

I'm going to be one of those posters...

I know, I know. I'm not normally a fan of those who ask for vague vacation advice like "where should I go?". But, I need your help (New Year's resolution - ask for help when needed). I need a vacation. Badly. Very, very badly. I have a free ticket with United, mom has one with American, and we are looking for a destination. I've spend a bit of time in Portland, OR, and would like to go back. I could use a shot of Mickey right now, and Disney is an option. San Diego has been tossed around, as has Sedona. What are we looking for? Recharge batteries. Something low-key. I'm pretty earthy and active, so hiking, beaches, mountains, nature would be a plus. With the clear exception of Disney. We'd be going the week after Easter (I know! But I have the time off then!).

Questions:
    1) Disney - What is the shortest park hopper pass you can get? Are they still doing those? It looks like they've restructured their pass system. I see the Magic Your Way tickets, but where are the old PH passes? The last time I was there I was under an employee pass, which was a one-day park hopper. Totally spoiled.

2) San Diego - lovely beaches and the zoo. What else is there to do? Where to stay? Any scenic drives? Great spas that aren't outrageously expensive?

3) Sedona - weather in late March? Again, great, not outrageously expensive spas? Side trips that are have to takes?

4) Portland - have that covered.

Any other destinations that you can think of/recommend?

That is one of the worst weeks at Disney of the whole year. As much as I love Disney, I would consider skipping it then.

What about Zion National Park/southern Utah? You could fly into Vegas and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by slknight View Post
    That is one of the worst weeks at Disney of the whole year. As much as I love Disney, I would consider skipping it then.

What about Zion National Park/southern Utah? You could fly into Vegas and drive.
    Any time I have off to hit Disney will be bad. I work in a school system. The crowds aren't a deterrent to me.

Will look into Zion though!

First, make sure you can use your miles during that time--I know I've encountered blackout dates when trying to use mine.

Second--you need to find destinations serviced by both United and American, the more frequently the better!

Most importantly, you need to figure out where you can get flights. Three months out during heavy vacation season itsn't much when you're trying to use mileage awards. You'll have better luck with destinations that aren't huge spring break/family destinations (Albuquerque to Taos/Santa FE?) or places with multiple airports (LAX/Burbank/Reagan).

Your vacation may need to be selected based on where you CAN go if you're set on using those miles.

HTH,
    Tracy
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

I don't know anything about your other destinations, other than Disney. You can still get a one day park hopper with Magic Your Way - it's pretty expensive though, and adding additional days is practically free.

Have you thought of the Grand Canyon or Yosemite? Plenty of hiking in both, totally relaxing and peaceful.

How long a trip are you planning? I'm guessing a week but your post wasn't clear.

I *love* Sedona - it's absolutely GORGEOUS. You can check out my recent blog post about our weekend trip to Sedona if you're interested:

http://adayinthelife-aggie94.blogspo...red-rocks.html

It was our second trip there, and we are headed back next month for my birthday. In late March, you can expect daytime temps to be in the high 60s or low 70s, overnight temps in the high 30s, low 40s. Should be very nice weather.

Mii Amo (at Enchantment Resort, which is top-notch) is the premiere spa in Sedona but it is $$$. The treatments at Sedona Rouge were phenomenal, but I didn't love the facilities - thought they could have been nicer and more luxurious. We will be checking out Amara's spa on our next trip, which I have heard good things about.

All that said, I'm not sure I could spend a week in Sedona, although with day trips (I'd recommend at least the Grand Canyon and the Meteor Crater), you could probably keep yourself busy. Not to mention there is great hiking in and around Sedona if you and your mom are into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post

Questions:
    1) Disney - What is the shortest park hopper pass you can get? Are they still doing those? It looks like they've restructured their pass system. I see the Magic Your Way tickets, but where are the old PH passes? The last time I was there I was under an employee pass, which was a one-day park hopper. Totally spoiled.
    You can still buy tickets for any number of days, either consecutive or non-consecutive (expiring in 1 year). You can add the park hopper upgrade onto your tickets for I think $45 per ticket, regardless of the number of days.

http://www.mousesavers.com/wdwticketprices.html

Kari

slknight, we are on the same page. I was thinking Zion. DH and I stayed at Red Mountain Spa in St. George and hiked in Zion several days. Fabulous vacation for recharging batteries. The hiking at the spa in the red rocks is amazing, absolutely breathtaking views.

www.redmountainspa.com

Kim

Here's something a bit out of the box . . . Bermuda. I've had a couple of the best hikes of my life there, plus gorgeous beaches, mopeds to drive, great food, plus lots of places to either be alone or in a crowd. Love, love, love Bermuda. It's accessible by both airlines and is an easy flight from any major city.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Lots of good suggestions here, but I will also throw Washington DC out there as another idea. While it's not "hiking" (or mountains, or beaches!) there is certainly enough walking and nature there. Bike riding, trips down the river, and tons and tons of history. I especially love Mount Vernon in Virginia. Now THAT'S relaxing to me! Strolling around the huge grounds, imagining all the conversations and people and activities that have happened there. Very cool. And fun.

Thanks for all the advice! I think the trip will be in the 5 day range - Monday - Friday. Bermuda won't work for me - my ticket has to be used in the lower 48. They aren't blackout dates for either of us - I did check on that first. We've both done Yosemite before (yes, I know I've done Portland and Disney before as well, but those destinations have other meaning for me as well), but Zion would be new for both of us. What's the weather like in the Zion area in early April?

Buffygirl - that spa looks great! But I'm not sure I can swing the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    They aren't blackout dates for either of us - I did check on that first.
    There's a big difference between blackout dates and actual availability. Depending on the destination, some people book award tickets up to a year in advance. I highly recommend seeing where you can get using your awards and work backward from there.

Visiting Portland in March --- could be rainy.

I think of the 4 you listed on your original post I would do Disney or SD. I love Sedona but getting in and out of Phoenix in March might be tough with the spring training and spring break crowds since you will be trying to use mileage award tickets.

I agree with the above posts, book your airfare first and then plan a trip around that.

Have you consider Palm Springs? That is a great place to go for 5 days or so. They have an awesome street market, sunny weather, hiking/golf and spas.
    Go for it!