Community Message Boards

Thread: Company dinner dish that is do ahead

Company dinner dish that is do ahead

I'm wondering if there is a thread of really great company dinner dishes(to serve 10), that would leave me free to enjoy my guests instead of fussing in the kitchen. I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have. I was thinking of chicken tagine but have never made it. I so appreciate all of your suggestions and when I'm not working full time and going to grad school I will promise to contribute more recipes!

Heres one I got off this board a year or two ago. I love the dish and love the fact that I can do this way ahead and have a different wonderful meal for company, and enjoy the evening too.

* Exported from MasterCook *

MAKE AHEAD - FREEZE -

Moroccan Pork Loin with Dried Fruit and Lemons

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Make and Freeze Ahead

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    ASSEMBLY TIME: About 45 minutes
    COOKING TIME: About 50 minutes
    NOTES: Thaw overnight. Serve with couscous and hot cooked green beans.
    MAKES: 2 main dishes -- 4 servings each

2 lemons (3/4 lb. total)
    1 tablespoon ground coriander
    1 tablespoon ground dried turmeric
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup honey
    1 1/2 cups chopped red onion (about 1/2 lb.)
    1 cup dried apricots
    1 cup dried pitted prunes
    2 boned center-cut pork loin roasts (1 1/4 lb. each)
    2 cups fat-skimmed beef broth

1. Rinse lemons and trim ends. Cut lemons into 1/8-inch-thick slices and discard seeds.

2. Put 1/2 the coriander, turmeric, ginger, cumin, salt, honey, onion, apricots, prunes, and lemon slices in each of 2 plastic freezer bags (1-gal. size). Squeeze bags to mix ingredients.

3. Rinse pork. Trim and discard most of the fat. Add 1 pork roast and 1/2 the broth to each bag. Seal bags, turn to mix, and freeze

4. Thaw 1 bag (see notes). Pour pork and sauce into a 9- by 13-inch pan. Turn pork fat side up.

5. Bake in a 400 oven until a thermometer inserted in center of thickest part of roast reaches 155, about 40 minutes; frequently stir sauce and baste meat.

6. Transfer pork to a platter and let rest about 5 minutes. Slice meat and serve with sauce.

Per serving: 445 cal., 26% (117 cal.) from fat; 33 g protein; 13 g fat (4.4 g sat.); 54 g carbo (3.2 g fiber); 407 mg sodium; 92 mg chol.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 0 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0% calories from fat); 0g Protein; 0g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 0mg Sodium. Exchanges: .

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

Here's a great thread I've bookmarked for "company worthy" dinners.

ISO Impressive but Quick Dinners for MIL

Quote Originally Posted by AnnCon View Post
    I was thinking of chicken tagine but have never made it.
    Hello...

One suggestion is "don't make a dish you've not test driven first and tweaked to your liking!!". No, sirree. trust me, it's just not worth the stress and/or their disappointment (since they're perhaps going to alot of trouble appropriating time for your dinner party and expecting delicious food). It's acceptable on people you entertain frequently (I feed my neighbors often so I occasionally use them as guinea pigs) whom with you're well established as a great cook - but more formal parties (especially 10) necessitate a tried and true recipe.

Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com

I agree with dneilson. Its better to do something that you've tried.

How about doing some kind of roast? I know some poeple get "roasted out" over the holidays but they are pretty easy and pretty hands free depending on the recipe. Mostly the meat just does it thing in the oven. You could do beef (tenderloin, prime rib) or even a pork roast.

Maybe lasagne wouldn't be fancy enough but it is a great make-ahead dish, along with a great salad, maybe some roasted veges and garlic bread - this makes a great meal with almost no time in the kitchen after company arrives.
    Anne