Community Message Boards

Thread: Know of any nice rental properties in Mexico?

Hybrid View

Know of any nice rental properties in Mexico?

I am planning a week-long trip to Mexico with some friends around the Easter break in March. We are looking for a place that sleeps at least 4 people and would prefer something with a pool and/or near the beach, alhough we are flexible. It can be anywhere along the coast in Mexico, but flights to cities on the Pacific side would be less expensive and not as time-consuming. I have checked out one owner rental company that I have booked with before, but was wondering if anyone has first hand experience with a place that they could recommend. We don't want the bottom of the barrel, but we also don't need super luxury. If you need more specifics, please feel free to ask. Thanks for your help!
    "Auntie, you are a good cooker." ~ My nephew, age 5

I just looked for the place we rented several years ago in Sayulita, it is beachfront with a pool. It may not be a rental any longer. I know many people from BC vacation in Sayulita. Actually the two weeks for Easter (Semana Santa) are the busiest in Mexico, better get booking.
    Have you checked VRBO, I've used them several times.
    Sayulita is just north of Puerta Vallarta, an easy flight for you. If you are interested in Sayulita, let me know if you have questions, I used to live there.
    I also like Zihuatanejo, but don't have house to recommend.
    Christie

Sayulita is actually a place we are looking at! Zihuatanejo was also high on the list, but more difficult to get to from here. In any case, this is the website that a friend had forwarded to me on rentals in Sayulita. Do you see the place where you stayed on this site?

www.sayulitalife.com

I did quickly look at vrbo after visiting tripadvisor. I will have to take a more in depth look later. Good to know that you have used them before. If we do end up in Sayulita, I might have some questions for you! Thanks so much for the offer.

You could check out the rentals at TUG (Timeshare user Group)

http://www.tug2.net/

It is the busiest time of the year. Our school break is March 15-30. Two weeks yahoo. DH and I are off to Egypt

Good luck and have a fabulous time.
    Maureen

"Trying to live the life I imagined"

We rented a condo in Puerto Vallarta last summer. We used this website:

http://www.homeaway.com/

I don't see the one we stayed in listed there now, but this is another one in the same building:

http://www.homeaway.com/Mexico/vacat.../1/p318170.htm

It was about 10 minutes south of Puerto Vallarta. We took buses or cabs when we wanted to go into town, but it was nice to be a little bit away.

That Home Away website has lots of properties all over the world. Just type a destination in on the home page. Good luck!

I've PMed you.

Kay

Quote Originally Posted by lonetree1353 View Post
    It is the busiest time of the year. Our school break is March 15-30. Two weeks yahoo. DH and I are off to Egypt

Good luck and have a fabulous time.
    Sounds fabulous! Have a wonderful time in Egypt!

Kay....you sent me the PM by mistake. ( I know, we Canadians all look alike haha...just joking)

OJ...thanks for the good wishes on our trip. Hope you find something and I know you will have a fabulous time.
    Maureen

"Trying to live the life I imagined"

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjasper View Post
    Sayulita is actually a place we are looking at! Zihuatanejo was also high on the list, but more difficult to get to from here. In any case, this is the website that a friend had forwarded to me on rentals in Sayulita. Do you see the place where you stayed on this site?

www.sayulitalife.com

I did quickly look at vrbo after visiting tripadvisor. I will have to take a more in depth look later. Good to know that you have used them before. If we do end up in Sayulita, I might have some questions for you! Thanks so much for the offer.
    I looked on Sayulita Life for the rental we rented for my inlaws when they visited. Since we lived there we didn't rent for ourselves.
    I will say look for central, the north can be far from town, you don't need a car. Be careful, San Pancho (San Francisco) shows rentals there, they are a different town. Good restaurants, but not much other character.
    I don't like the north part of town since it is a long walk to town and the ocean isn't easily swimmable. Will you swim in the ocean. Carritos is remote also.
    What is important to you? Pool, ocean view, ocean front, how many bedrooms? Luxury or basic? AC? Daily maid service?
    Christie

Christine, thanks so much for the tips on location. I think we would all love oceanfront and a pool. The number of bedrooms doesn't matter a whole lot, as long as there are at least 2 beds. Obviously, the more beds, the more comfortable we would be. It doesn't have to be luxury, but it does have to be clean. AC - do you think this is a must in March? This trip has morphed out of an idea to go to Las Vegas with two hotel rooms, so we are definitely willing to compromise! One of my friends sent a link to a place called Casa Palmar that is on the beach, has a small pool, 3 bedrooms, etc. for $200 USD a night. I don't know if it is even available, but I am curious if you have heard of that place? If there are any other places that are central that you are familiar with that would be decent, please feel free to post or PM me the names. We are getting together on Tuesday night to make a decision about where and when we are going. Thanks again!

No, I don't think you need AC, but it is important to some. Most rooms have fans.
    The map on Sayulitalife is good. I wouldn't go any further north than Las Hamacas. We stayed at Casa Cantamar on one of our first trips, it is too far north. We also stayed at Villa Amor, that is another story, not a good place.
    Those are the two only places I've rented but it was years ago, we since bought. We own land on Playa de Los Muertos but don't have a house on it.
    We built and owned Bungalows de los Arbolitos, but haven't owned it for awhile. It doesn't have a pool and is not beachfront.
    I think that area of the complexes may be a good place, send some emails to check on availability. Check Gemelas Delfines and Hamacas. Gemelas and Delfines are individualy owned but have common areas.
    One place that looks interesting is Villa Mariposa, it is on a hill, but not far from the beach, you may not want a hill, but it is a nice location. Some hill locations are way up a long hill, so not desirable. I've never seen this place, just viewing it on the website. I know the owner is a long time resident.
    Another rental site is http://www.move2sayulita.com/properties/rentals/map.htm
    It will give you different views of the rentals. It is the website of Avalos Realty. They are a local real estate office that does rentals also.
    Sayulita is casual, rustic compared to Vallarta, lots of fun. You are making me miss it. Lots of good restaurants.
    Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Christie