Community Message Boards

Thread: What to serve with Beef Stew

What to serve with Beef Stew

I'm making the Beef stew recipe from CL 1/2006 this weekend. I'm thinking of making a Cornbread casserole/souffle with it. Does this go together????? Should I just get good bread and make egg noodles to go with it instead.

I'm second guessing myself on the pairing so any opinions welcome!
    Thanks!

I'd suggest finding a different side dish. To me, it's all very ... warm and mushy.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

If your stew has potatoes in it (not familiar with the recipe you've mentioned so just going with normal stew ingredients), you won't need noodles or some sort of souffle. Just a nice crusty bread or regular corn bread to sop up the juices will work just fine. Along with a nice crisp green salad.

We have beef stew alot in the winter. My favorite comfort food. I always put in potatoes and serve it with a crusty bread. I don't think you need anything else.
    Just my 2 cents ;-)
    -Susan
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

we usually have beef stew with biscuits or cornbread. sometimes we'll add a crispy green salad but usuallyl we find it satisfying with just the aforementioned items.
    What am I? Flypaper for Freaks?

We love beef stew around here and I always serve it with cornbread and slaw.

I'm entertaining with Beef Stew next week. We will have a diverse group of people. The Stew will be loaded with vegetables, including potatoes. I will have a crisp, green salad, veggie tray with 2 different dips as well as whole grain buns and white buns.

We will be eating a slow meal.....set up buffet style...everyone will eat when they are ready as some people will be a few hours behind time. I am also doing a 7 layer Mexican dip and a Buffalo Chicken Dip.

Enjoy your company....I am really looking forward to ours!

Ditto the yummy crusty bread. I haven't had beef stew with cornbread before so I don't know about that but I may have to try it sometime.

I like to make biscuits to have with beef stew. My mom used to always put dumplings on the top of stew, and so biscuits are similar.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Quote Originally Posted by KAG View Post
    We love beef stew around here and I always serve it with cornbread and slaw.
    Ditto! Love cole slaw with beef stew.

I like a gelatin salad with beef stew or pot pies along with a crusty bread. I think the gelatin salad, being on the sweet side adds a nice contrast.
    FavoriteTraditions.com
    Celebrating Life's Special Moments