Community Message Boards

Thread: Please help! My honey has solidified!

Please help! My honey has solidified!

I have a 32 oz plastic jar of honey that is almost new and completely solidified!

This has never happened to me before. How can I get it back to liquid? And will it stay liquid or do I have to keep re-liquidifying it?

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

30 seconds in the microwave should do it, Loren, and yes, it will resolidify.

(Please take the cover off! )

Bob

There was a thread about this recently, which I read with interest since my large bottle from Sam's had completely crystallized. The method I used (bottle was too big for the microwave, and I wasn't sure how the plastic bottle would hold up in the microwave anyway) was to bring a pan of water to a boil, turn off the heat and THEN put the bottle in the pan and let it sit. Takes a while and I had to reheat the water once (I mean it was a BIG bottle! ), but it worked just fine.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

OK thanks. This has never happened before. Our house is not cold either.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

We don't use it very often and when we do it is usually a small amount. I have found that keeping honey sticks on hand works really well.

Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy B View Post
    There was a thread about this recently, which I read with interest since my large bottle from Sam's had completely crystallized. The method I used (bottle was too big for the microwave, and I wasn't sure how the plastic bottle would hold up in the microwave anyway) was to bring a pan of water to a boil, turn off the heat and THEN put the bottle in the pan and let it sit. Takes a while and I had to reheat the water once (I mean it was a BIG bottle! ), but it worked just fine.
    That's what I've done with mine.

The bee-keeper that I buy from at our farmers market told me to store the bottle in the freezer so it never crystalizes. I keep a bit in the cabinet and the rest in the freezer.

"Please help! My honey has solidified!" Is that a bad thing?
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Quote Originally Posted by dorothyntototoo View Post
    "Please help! My honey has solidified!" Is that a bad thing?

Ooooohhhh...that's so bad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post
    30 seconds in the microwave should do it, Loren, and yes, it will resolidify.

(Please take the cover off! )

Bob

and make sure it's completely de-crystallized, or it will re-do that faster. but if it's completely clear, it should take a long time to get cloudy again.

What's the disadvantage to crystallized honey?
    I guess if you don't like the texture on bread I can see it, but otherwise who cares?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    What's the disadvantage to crystallized honey?
    I guess if you don't like the texture on bread I can see it, but otherwise who cares?
    Canice (and dorothy), apparently Loren and all the others who've mentioned what they do in this situation do care and would like a solution. Not sure what the point of your comment was. If you don't "care," you can easily find something positive to contribute elsewhere.

And, Canice, FYI, I must be some kind of idiot because I can't find a way to easily add hardened honey to the ingredients, say, for baked goods.

Sheesh.

Bob

Canice (and dorothy), apparently Loren and all the others who've mentioned what they do in this situation do care and would like a solution. Not sure what the point of your comment was. If you don't "care," you can easily find something positive to contribute elsewhere.

Sheesh.

Bob
    Apparently Mr. Woodstock is the only person allowed sarcasm here. It was a joke. Excuuuuse me!
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Quote Originally Posted by dorothyntototoo View Post
    Apparently Mr. Woodstock is the only person allowed sarcasm here. It was a joke. Excuuuuse me!
    Read back and you'll see I wasn't alone in my perceptions. Sorry, I just don't see why anyone would need to mock someone who certainly didn't deserve your "sarcasm" when asking for help with something.

Bob, out of here

Read back and you'll see I wasn't alone in my perceptions. Sorry, I just don't see why anyone would need to mock someone who certainly didn't deserve your "sarcasm" when asking for help with something.

Bob, out of here
    Um, I could be wrong, but I believe Dorothy was pointing out a double entendre w/ the fact that her "honey" had "solidified"--not that she was commenting that it was no big deal if someone's honey from the pantry had crystalized. At least that's how I took it.

At any rate, the same thing can happen to maple syrup, and the same solutions apply, in case anyone finds themselves facing that sort of problem.
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

Quote Originally Posted by leebee View Post
    Um, I could be wrong, but I believe Dorothy was pointing out a double entendre w/ the fact that her "honey" had "solidified"--not that she was commenting that it was no big deal if someone's honey from the pantry had crystalized. At least that's how I took it.
    I missed that and if that's the case, apologize to Ms. Toto, having had no such experience.

Bob

my honey is always hard (speaking of double entendres...)
    and I use one of the various methods described on this thread- either hot water, microwave, etc.
    - Josie

What worked for me:

I had the Costco size plastic bottle, and it wouldn't fit in my microwave! I just put it in our lemonade jug, and surrounded it with very hot tap water. It liquefied, and I poured two cups of it into a smaller plastic container. I didn't want to risk using my stovetop, which isn't very predictable and I worried I might melt the plastic.

Then I made a lot of honey recipes, including spiced nuts and baked goods! We gave away a lot of honey-sweetened treats for the holidays.

It was a lot easier to portion out of the smaller container, with a wide opening. And it hasn't crystallized again - it's been a few weeks.

I hope this helps. I was relieved that I could still use the honey, and I could make it pourable again.
    Laurie