Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with leftover barbecue?

What to do with leftover barbecue?

We have a fair amount of leftover barbecue brisket and ribs. Any recipes for what we can do with all the leftover meat? (besides the obvious sandwiches )

If the meat is tender, I would rinsed off any bar-b-que sauce, cube it, and then use it in a vegetable/beef or beef/bean soup.

I have done this several times with great results.

You could shred the meat and make a barbecue potpie similar to CL's Barbecued-Chicken Potpie.

Rather than using the Pillsbury bread sticks called for in the recipe, I make a batch of cornbread and pour that over the top before baking. I bake it at the temperature and time indicated by the cornbread recipe (or cornbread mix in a pinch) that I use.
    Last edited by PattiA; 01-20-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: edited to add underline to link
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

I love both of those ideas! Thank you! PattiA--I found the barbecue chicken potpie recipe. I am not sure about the chocolate in the recipe. Is that specific to chicken? Should I omit, since I am making with beef?

How about a BBQ pizza? Use some bbq sauce as your sauce, put on the meat, some caramelized onions, cilantro and cheese. Yum! We make this, usually with chicken (tofu for DH) and it is so good. I would think brisket would be good, too.

ETA -- I just read your chocolate/chicken comment. I just wanted to say I saw Giada make a pasta recipe with short ribs (I think) and she shaved chocolate over the top, kind of like grated parmesan.

The chocolate is very subtle and delicious. I've used chocolate in beef chili recipes and other southwestern recipes. It will not taste chocolaty. So I would add it. If you aren't sure about it, you could add less or leave it out. I don't bother to grate the chocolate, I put a square of unsweetened chocolate in the sauce and stir it around until it melts.

barbecue is also good shredded and added to a cheddary mac-n-cheese. throw in some chopped green peppers and you've got a total meal.

Deja BBQ is also good chopped or shredded and wrapped in a warm flour or corn tortilla, with onions & jalapenos.

I like to chop leftover brisket and freeze in 2 person portions for quick weeknight dinners of sandwiches, stuffed baked potatoes, etc.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

I've made barbecue cups with leftovers before. Just use refrigerated biscuits and seperate each biscuit into two pieces. Pat into muffin cups, add meat filling and top with shredded cheese. Bake according to biscuit directions.
    FavoriteTraditions.com
    Celebrating Life's Special Moments

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! My step-daughter and her husband have a little barbecue business in the same town where we have our weekend place, so we eat a lot of barbecue and almost always have leftovers. These suggestions will come in very handy! I made Barbecue Beef Potpie today using the recipe off of the BB per PattiA's suggestion. I had everythin on hand but the coriander and I just omitted that. It was VERY yummy and a definite repeater! Thanks for the suggestion Patti! And I will keep the rest of the suggestions for the future. I love this board!

So glad that you enjoyed the potpie. There are lots of great suggestions in this thread. I want to try some of them too.

Here's a great, different casserole from Southern Living. I've always just made mashed potatoes, and I find the amount of milk listed as being WAY too much. I think the last time I made it, I didn't add any extra milk at all, just made my mashed potatoes with milk and that was it. You can lighten this further in the "normal" ways like cutting back on the cheese with still excellent results. It's actually a pretty forgiving recipe and you could do your own thing following this as a general guide.

Loaded Barbeque Baked Potato Casserole
    Ingredients
    6 bacon slices
    1 (22-oz.) package frozen mashed potatoes
    2 cups milk (or less!)
    1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
    1/2 (8-oz.) package 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, cut into cubes
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    3 cups (12 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
    1 (8-oz.) container light sour cream
    1 (4-oz.) can chopped green chiles, drained
    3 cups shredded barbecue pork or beef
    3/4 cup barbecue sauce
    Garnish: chopped fresh parsley

Preparation
    1. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings. Crumble bacon; set aside.
    2. Stir together reserved bacon drippings, potatoes, next 5 ingredients, and 2 cups Cheddar cheese in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 4 minutes. Stir in sour cream and chiles until well blended.

3. Spoon potato mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with bacon and remaining 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Arrange pork evenly over cheese. Drizzle barbecue sauce evenly over pork.

4. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired.

Yield
    Makes 8 servings

Serve it over polenta and then sprinkle with gorgonzola cheese. It's good

Maybe it is too simplistic but whenever I have enough freezer space I freeze manageable portions (with the buns needed) to use for pulled pork sandwiches later. It's a great last minute "What am I going to cook tonight?" meal.