Community Message Boards

Thread: What to serve with risotto?

What to serve with risotto?

What can I serve along with basic risotto to feature it in a simple meal? We were at dinner last week with some close friends at a new restaurant in our area. I chose their risotto as one of my side dishes, and one of our friends asked how it was. I said, "It's pretty good, but mine's better." (I had sort of an "oops-did-I-say-that-out-loud moment"). My friend then asked if it was hard to make, etc., and said she'd love to try mine sometime--she's just taken an interest in cooking over the past year or so. I'd like to have them for dinner soon and make some for her, but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything creative to serve with it. I though maybe just a nice salad, crusty bread with olive oil for dipping, and wine.
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

I wouldn't serve bread, that's a LOT of carbs. Does your risotto have anything in it like veggies or protein. If not, I love salmon with risotto.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    I Does your risotto have anything in it like veggies or protein.
    No veggies or protein.
    ~Tommy Smothers

I always like risotto along with a plain, simple roasted chicken. And, some type of veggie.

Risotto, like pasta, is intended to be a first course. I think that's why it often seems somehow insufficient on its own - it's meant to be followed by a protein course and then a vegetable course.
    Could you serve yours with some kind of a roasted vegetable or green beans amandine? A bright zucchini dish with red onions and fresh herbs?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

We eat risotto as the main course all the time. I serve it with a salad and maybe some fresh fruit. Tonight we had it simply with roasted asparagus but it really needed something else.

If you want to make it more substantial, how about grilling some funky chicken sausages (like the artichoke and smoked mozzarella from Sam's Club)? Or Italian sausages. I like something simple and easy with risotto since it requires a fair amount of time and attention and needs to be served right away.

I'm better of eating risotto as the main dish though - I love it so much, I would definitely overeat if it were the side dish.

All these suggestions sound great! I know risotto is not typically the main course, but because this friend was curious about it and has just lately taken an interest in cooking, I wanted to feature it. All of you have given me some great ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso View Post
    I'm better of eating risotto as the main dish though - I love it so much, I would definitely overeat if it were the side dish.
    Me too! Another reason I was thinking of serving it as the main course.
    ~Tommy Smothers

Quote Originally Posted by ___Rhianna___ View Post
    Me too! Another reason I was thinking of serving it as the main course.
    I don't mind it as a main course but I need to have some protein source otherwise I'm hungry again in a matter of a couple of hours.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I've always considered risotto a main course. I serve it with a green salad, some kind of fresh fruit or fruit salad, crusty bread, and wine.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

If it's just a plain risotto I always serve it with a roasted veggie like broccoli, green beans, asparagus, etc., something that holds it shape since the risotto is creamy and "non-shaped". I've even served it with grilled eggplant slices - sliced thinly so not to overpower the risotto AND it gives a great presentation. Also, you could do some type of pepper medley with red/orange/yellow peppers to add another color to the plate.

Since it is carby and you are serving a large portion by featuring it as your main course - I wouldn't serve any bread.

Would you mind sharing your recipe? I'm always on the lookout for a great risotto. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by raka1214 View Post
    Would you mind sharing your recipe? I'm always on the lookout for a great risotto. Thanks!
    The last few times I've made it I've used this simple recipe from Food Network:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_6617,00.html
    Before that I used one from the boxes of Arborio rice I would pick up at Williams-Sonoma. Well, I can't remember the brand, W-S no longer carries it, AND I failed to save the recipe. I'm still on the lookout--I think I would recognize the the brand if I came across it. It was in a dark green box.
    ~Tommy Smothers

Quote Originally Posted by raka1214 View Post
    I'm always on the lookout for a great risotto.
    Well, since you said you are on the look-out for great risotto recipes, I really like this one from Giada DeLaurentiis from a "Date Night" themed show she did. I think that the serving size is meant for two people (to go with her 'Date Night' theme), so you may want to double it (which is what I did) if you are serving more than two people and depending on whether or not it will be your main, rather than a side. I think I served it with a simple grilled fish and a side salad. I really enjoyed the crispy prosciutto...

Champagne Risotto Recipe
    Author: Giada De Laurentiis
    Source: Food Network

4 thin slices prosciutto
    3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    12 asparagus spears, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
    2 Tbs butter, divided
    1 shallot, finely chopped
    3/4 cup Arborio rice or medium-grain white rice
    3/4 cup Champagne
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

2. Place the slices of prosciutto on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake until the prosciutto slices are almost completely crisp, about 6 to 8 minutes. The slices will crisp up even more as they cool. Reserve for garnish.

3. In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Blanch the asparagus in the chicken stock for 2 minutes. Remove the asparagus with a slotted spoon. Set the asparagus aside and keep the chicken stock at a low simmer.

4. In another medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the shallot and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the Arborio rice and stir to coat in the butter. Continue toasting the rice, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes more. Add the Champagne and simmer until the liquid has almost evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the simmering broth and stir until almost completely absorbed, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking the rice, adding the broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing each addition of broth to absorb before adding the next, until the rice is tender but still firm to the bite and the mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes total. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the asparagus, remaining butter, Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Spoon the risotto into serving dishes and garnish by breaking the crisp prosciutto into smaller pieces over the top of the risotto. Serve immediately.

I like adding shrimp to risotto to make it a main dish, and sometimes add asparagus or peas. With a salad and crusty bread that's enough for me! Here's a good recipe.

Saffron Risotto with Shrimp

6 Tbs ( 3/4 stick) unsalted butter
    3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp minced shallots
    1/2 cup Arborio rice
    pinch of saffron threads
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    1 to 1 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock, hot
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground white pepper
    8 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and halved lengthwise
    1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
    Minced fresh parsley leaves

1. In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons each of butter and oil. Add the garlic and shallots and sauté until soft. Do not brown.
    2. Add the rice and saffron and sauté until well coated with the oil. Deglaze with wine and reduce until almost dry.
    3. Using a ladle, add about half of a cup of boiling stock to the rice. Stir the rice over medium heat until the stock is absorbed and the rice is almost dry. Add another ladle of stock and repeat the procedure until you have added all the stock or just until the rice is tender but still firm. It should be moist and creamy but not runny.
    4. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and the Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper and add more stock if necessary.
    5. Season the shrimp with 1 tablespoon oil, salt, and pepper. Cook over a hot grill just until done. (I usually do this in a saute' pan.) Sprinkle with lemon juice and parsley.
    6. Divide the risotto between 2 warm serving plates. Top each with half the grilled shrimp. Serve immediately.

Servings: 2

Source: Pizza, Pasta & More! - Wolfgang Puck
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...