Community Message Boards

Thread: Converting Muffins into a Cake

Converting Muffins into a Cake

So my husband wants corn muffins, but made as a cake. What size would a standard 12 muffin recipe convert to? 8x8 or 9x9?

Would it need to bake longer? I am such a scaredy cat when I have to change recipes...

Should I post the recipe or is that not necessary?

TIA

Angela

My conversion chart says 12 muffins equals an 8X8 or a 9inch round. I usually bake mine about 20-25 minutes in a hot oven--around 400.

Thank you so much, Erin! I appreciate the quick response...these boards are the best!

Angela

Quote Originally Posted by erin elizabeth View Post
    My conversion chart says 12 muffins equals an 8X8 or a 9inch round. I usually bake mine about 20-25 minutes in a hot oven--around 400.
    listen, i totally agree about the size, and have done it, but for a more cakelike texture, i'd frankly drop the temp to 375. that higher temp gives a good crunchy crust to cornbread, but this isn't what we want from cake, usually.
    i make cake out of my standard muffin recipe all the time, usually upping the fat and dropping the flour a bit each, and for cupcakes, really upping the fat!

v. true. I just read it as in cake form, not cake-like. I agree, the high temp will put a nice crunchy crust on the cornbread, but if you are looking for a softer, cakier final product, go with what she said

I asked a chef about converting mini-muffins to regular muffins and he said that the larger muffins should be cooked longer in a cooler oven, and likewise, the mini muffins shorter time in a hotter oven. So extrapolating this to your muffin to cake question, I would do the same thing: larger unit needs longer time in a cooler oven. HTH

Thanks, guys...the cake is in the oven now. It started at 400 and now it's doing 5 minute increments at 350. The bad thing is that I have a lingering cold that changes every day, and the symptoms of the day are no taste and no smell. So I have to keep a close eye on it...I don't want it to burn!

Angela