Community Message Boards

Thread: HLSG week of 15 July

Thumbs up HLSG week of 15 July

I can't believe no one's started this yet. Well I'll do it.

I had my aerobics certification test on Saturday so I spent last week preparing for that. I find out in 4-6 weeks the results.

So I finally got back into the swing of things last week after vacation and now that certification is done, I can get back to the old routine. Plans are to exercise at least 3x this week and of course, eat intelligently. And drink, drink, drink... but not martinis. Water, water water. I haven't been drinking enough and really have to pay attention again to quantity.

Mentioned this on the food board so maybe we'll have a new faces to join us. That's it from me. How were y'all?

This is my first post on the HSLG messages. Don't know why I never posted here, I usually just talk about yoga! But I love to rollerblade and play racquetball and walk too.

My sister is in town and we are both pretty active. I just wanted to say, she and I went to the park last night and walked for an hour, and we would run up the hills, and try to outrun eachother, it was fun and just like we were kids again!! It was a great cardio workout and we were extremely sweaty. The thing that was great is that I don't have any friends that like to workout like me so it was very satisfying to be there with her, we were pushing eachother's limits. Plus, spending time with her is rare so it was extra special. Today we are going back for some more! I am looking forward to it. And trying to drink extra water too.

Dana

PS- Bev, good luck on your certification. Definitely let us know how it turns out.

This is also my first time posting on the HSLG thread, but I've been interested in awhile. I would like to lose 10-15 pounds that I just can't seem to make move. Hopefully logging in to this board with help me keep a more consistent exercise program.

That being said, last week I was really bad with exercising and eating (can I use the excuse it was my birthday on Sunday?). I only went to the gym on Tuesday evening and rode the bike for 30 minutes. I ate out a week ago Sunday, Thursday, and my friends took me out on Friday (I don't usually like eating out that often). I didn't wake up feeling all that great on Saturday morning, but it was beautiful outside so I forced myself to at least go for a walk. I walked 2 miles on the trail by my apartment. Sunday I did nothing but eat. I will be better this week. Thanks for listening!

Bev, thanks for the reminder to drink lots of water. I go everywhere with a filled water bottle, but now I'm starting to count how many glasses I'm drinking a day. It turned out to be not as many as I thought.

Hi, Dana!

Tangerine

ValerieK, you and I must have been posting at the very same moment! A welcoming hello to you, too!

Tangerine

Welcom to the HLSG threads daner94 and valeriek!

Well, my weeks of traveling, which included New Orleans and Chicago are finally over. I have no comment! I plead the fifth until next week!!!

Hi there!

I am new here as well. I love working out, but for me controlling my food urges is my problem. I have a brutal commute, so I get up a 5am and drive to a gym near the office to work out every day. If I do not go, I know it will take me 50-60 minutes (vs. 25 at 5am), so that has been really good for my motivation.

I love spinning- I do that on M/W/F and then on T/Th I either walk/run or do stairs. I also lift weights M-F, which I love, it has really helped with my muscle definition.

My struggle is that I want to lose 15-20lbs and I constantly battle food! I love it! Really, it's such a pleasure. I mainly cook from Cooking Light, but the weekends can be hard- entertaining and the DH are so tempting. Plus, I find it harder to find time for exercise. Ok, enough about that....

Did anyone see Walking magazine's article about the steps? I ordered one of those and have been wearing it for almost a week. It is interesting to see how the steps you take vary each day- and, I find myself parking further away to get in a few extra. My goal is to incorporate more steps into every day.

Sorry to ramble on- it's been a long day at work. Dawn

Last week, I kept fighting a stupid summer cold, so I only cycled to/from work twice. We did squeeze in a hike on Saturday as well, so aerobically I'm not feeling too guilty.

Weight bearing stuff has been another story, but I've resolved to give Julie's pointers a shot this week. I have a bunch of yoga class makeups for this term, too, so it's off to yoga 3x this week.
    I'm going to start watching the classified ads for cheap home exercise equipment, too. Even with all the cycling, I get out of breath far too easily on tough hikes. So many home exercise machines end up being expensive clothes hangers, so I bet that there are loads of folks out there getting rid of theirs.
    "Heroes are not giant statues framed against a red sky. They are people who say: This is my community, and it's my responsibility to make it better."-Tom McCall (Oregon governor from 1967-1975)

Cool

Welcome, daner94, valeriek and dmcgreevey! Hope you find and contribute to the motivation and general fun of this weekly thread.

Mandarin2j, I wished you lived nearby - although I am exercising again, I still have some expensive and unusually shaped clothing hangers.

I had another good week - I tend to perfectionist tendancies so I know this board is helping me stay on track - I don't want to report that I've slipped up. Five cardio and two strength and stable weight. I developed a sore calf a couple of weeks ago so the cardio was fast walking with no running for the week. I've started my quest again for a session with a personal trainer to be sure I'm not doing anything wrong. These quests have been very frustrating in the past but I have a new lead so hopefully will come up with better results this time.

I have a 'black tie welcome' wedding on Saturday and am very pumped about wearing a new dress that is very slimming - it's been a long time. OT, the ceremony is at 3 pm - can I wear a long black dress? The place I bought it said 'sure', but now I'm getting cold feet even though it is black tie. The dress is very conservative - no frills or sequins. My back up dress is a cocktail length blue sequin dress which I'm not sure is appropriate either.

TIA and sorry to be so off topic at the end!

I haven't posted here lately, cuz I can't seem to get it under control right now. Between the kids being out of school, my mom in visiting for 2 weeks, and my SIL, 2 boys and BIL coming in tomorrow for 2 weeks and the heat (107+). If I don't get out before 7am it's just to darn hot to go out and workout until around 8pm and the gym I belong to is a 20 min drive (the kids are to old for the daycare and I don't like leaving them alone for 2-2 1/2 hours so I can work out!

Eating isn't any better, I do really good all day long and then about 8:00pm (this has always been my most difficult time of day) I just find the need to forage and unfortunatly it's not always good choices!

So I'm here to make the committment to get in at least 4 workouts this week, and to plan to have better choices lined up for my nighttime foraging!

Thanks for listening and letting me ramble! You guys are wonderful and so supportive!

Ann

JD- definitely wear the black dress- it sounds like it will be perfect.

I was up too late last night and it was very slow at the gym today- I almost felt like leaving early, but who wants to get to work at 7am when you don't have to!

Have a great day- drink that water!

Welcome to daner94, valeriek and dmcgreevey! Glad to have you here.

Exercise wise, last week went just fine. I ran three times and went to Curves three times. On Friday, I ran further than I ever have, and did it in my third fastest minute per mile time. Unfortunately, I have not run since then . Saturday was an off day, then I woke up Sunday morning with an ultimately nasty stomach flu. (or food poisoning) I was either in bed, in the bathroom or on the sofa the entire day, so in light of the fact that standing was not an option, running was mearly a distant dream.
    I started feeling a little better around 10 pm and yesterday was weak, but able to keep food in my body for more than 15 minutes.

Anyway, now it is Tuesday and I need to get back on track. I will make it to Curves this afternoon, but probably won't have to opportunity to run.

Food wise, most of the week was great. I survived a neighborhood BBQ without eating meat, but did eat a lot of other junk. (not that it really mattered because it all departed first thing the next morning) I have gone two full weeks without meat and am still completely enjoying it.

JD- I concur... wear the black dress. I think with the message of "black tie welcome" they are encouraging it! Gina
    Change your mind, change your body

Talking Happily Out of Sync

How wonderful to have so much new insight- welcome everyone! It is just so reassuring to me to feel like I am not alone in the struggle....

This week the scale said I lost a pound (actually over 2 weeks, b/c I'm not weighing weekly anymore) even though I have not been a healthy camper! I even indulged in eggplant parm, one of my all-time favorites, but the fact that I cannot remember the last time I had it shows that I have changed my lifestyle! My new mantra: Indulgences (for the right reasons- my own, not my emotions or crazies taking over) are allowed!

As for exercise, I got some in but not my goal amount. I'm trying not to beat myself up about it when I miss a workout, because that leads to feeling guilty-overindulging-skipping another workout and so the cycle begins. I do what I can do, which is what I did last week and voila- I'm still here! And after 6 1/2 months of consistency: at my lowest weight since high school!

Enjoy the week, folks!

Thanks for the advice Gina O and dmcmcgreevey - the black dress it is!

Melissa - I agree with your indulgences mantra. One thing I heard at WW (I think) was if you want to indulge, make sure it's worth it. For example, if you are going to have chocolate - make sure it is the best you can have and that you will enjoy it to the max. If not, wait 'till next time. I'm sure there's a one liner that describes it.

I've been doing TaeBo and still love it. I've had to take the l;ast 4 days off since we had friends visiting and it was just too hectic to work it in. We did a lot of walking so that can count as my exercise. We did eat a lot, but all was healthy as well.

I have been having more energy lately, and am feeling better as well. My migraines are still staying away, and PMS was not as bad last week as it ususally is. I did not binge or chow down food without reason. All in all, I am happy with my routine and will continue with it. We are going to Hawaii in a couple of weeks, but we will be walking and swimming alot. The Hilton Hawaiian Village is supposed to have a great execise/spa facility and we hope to take advantage of it. There is a kids program as well, so the kids can have fun too.

Gina - Congrats on your running accomplishments! Sorry to hear you've been sick - those things are miserable. I remember having one so bad I had to go to the doctor to get drugs to get me to stop heaving. I must have been really awful looking - the nurse rushed me right in after one look at me! So there's a hint - if you want to see the doctor right away, make sure you're very pale, you haven't showered and you're practically in your PJs!

Oh and Gina - I'm sorry if I missed a prior posting about this (my participation has been sporadic the past 3 weeks), but did you give up meat entirely, as in permanently?

Ann - I know how discouraging all those obstacles can be! Hopefully you'll find a groove soon. Also, when I get the munchies at night, I have found something that works and doesn't leave me feeling too guilty. I take a slice of whole wheat bread (the 100% kind) and put PB, honey and raisins on it. It's sweet and fairly nutritious and very filling.

And welcome Dawn! It's nice to see that we are still adding people to our little group!

Oh man, I have missed you guys so much. Its been a constant struggle these last couple of weeks.

To top it all off I turned 39 yesterday and informed my DH that even though I expect presents every year, I will no longer be having "birthdays". Ha ha.

What is the opinion here on older mommies. DH and I are in the middle of a serious discussion on whether or not to have another child. DD just turned 2 in June and I REALLY want another one. DH is concerned that when this one (if we decided yes) graduates high school, we will be approximately 58 and 59 respectively. I said well, its only three years older than we will be when DD graduates. I love being a mommy and have the wonderful opportunity to be able to stay at home with our child/ren. He is also concerned that he won't have enough love to go around and I told him he's talking silliness.

Bosunswife,

You pose an interesting question. However, I think the answer is very different for everyone. My hubby and I decided to stop at two children for many reasons, one of which would be our age as the children get older. There are disadvantages and advantages to having children later in life - you just need to weigh it all and decide what will work best for you.

What I really wanted to comment on was your husband's fear of not having enough love to go around. I remember wondering what it would be like to bring a second child into the world. I had bonded so strongly with my first and we were together (often just the two of us as my husband was in the Army at the time) for 3 years before the second little guy came along. I just couldn't imagine loving another child as much! Then number two came along and it was sooooo easy. He was naturally charming (he smiled and cooed early and often), which made an easy task even easier - we fell in love and he had us twisted around his little finger in no time. I think it's perfectly natural to have this fear - you just have to have faith that nature will take its course and those parental instincts will just kick in!

Good luck with your decision. It's not an easy one, but follow your heart and I'm sure it will be the right one.