Community Message Boards

Thread: Shoppers! I need help finding a first communion dress

Shoppers! I need help finding a first communion dress

DD #1 is celebrating her first communion this spring. She is NOT a girly girl. She is tall and gangly for her age. She has an adorable pixie haircut, and her style leans towards jeans and chuck taylors, with a strong funky vibe.

We're really struggling to find a first communion dress for her. She doesn't much like dresses to begin with, and she can't stand the shiny and/or puffy white creations we've seen thus far. I think what would work best for her is an unadorned classic white sheath--with spaghetti straps or cap sleeves, maybe. She could probably live with something with a simple sash or bow at the waist, but other than that, no ruffles, beads, or bows.

And the real challenge is that she's a super-skinny size 7. She's about 51 inches tall and she weighs 50 pounds.

Any ideas where I should look?

Anyone?

Please??
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

My first thought was a cotton slip dress from Strasburg like this:

They have other styles too - lots of very simple but elegant dresses.

Here's a link to their first communion dresses:
    http://www.strasburgchildren.com/ficodr.html
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

My first thought was that you should find a seamstress who could make a dress in the look you want, unless you're fortunate enough to have a friend or relative who sews. Sorry I'm not more help, but I only had to find First Communion clothes for boys .
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

I also immediately thought of Strasburg. A couple more options:

flowergirldresses.com

Nordstrom

I was shopping for something the other day and came across a white (or ivory?) cable-knit jumper from Land's End Kids. It's really cute & kinda funky. Something like that might be an option, as long as she doesn't mind standing out from the crowd.
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

I had good luck finding something similar to what you are describing at Nordstrom. If you have one near you, I'd check it out...

Quote Originally Posted by leebee View Post
    I was shopping for something the other day and came across a white (or ivory?) cable-knit jumper from Land's End Kids. It's really cute & kinda funky. Something like that might be an option, as long as she doesn't mind standing out from the crowd.

This made me chuckle. She's ALL ABOUT standing out from the crowd. That's part of the challenge here!

Thanks for the ideas. I really, really like the cotton slip dress froms strassburg. I'm going to show her all the suggestions after school and see what she likes best.

Thanks and keep 'em coming.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

Depending on when this event is - and if you don't expect her to wear it again - maybe you can find an Easter dress from Target - or look around on EBay.

Target:

$22.99.

SSM

SSM
    Last edited by hollysmom; 01-25-2008 at 08:02 AM.
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

9. I was recently at burlington coat factory and i saw a mom picking out a simple communion dress. I'm not positive they have them in Texas but but if not, I would try online
    Right track for 2008
    full busted swimsuits

We found a very good selection at Hecks/Foleys. They have all been converted to Macy's in this area, but I think you still have them in Texas.
    My daughter is the physical opposite of your daughter- she is stout and very short. Many of the ruffled dresses made her look like a bowling ball! We ended up finding a very simple raw silk dress (for only 50 dollars!) with cap sleeves that looked great on her. What I liked best was the variety they had- everything from simple and elegant to bedazzeled and flouncy. It was good, because when you put something on it can look very different from what you expected. We found the perfect dress we were looking for- but on it was only ok. We ended up trying other dress we did not think would look good, but one of those really worked for her. You never can tell on the hanger.
    One thing- ask around at the church, sometimes the priest might have a problem with thin straps on dresses. I know one girl had to wear a sweater because her dress was strapless and Father didn't want her making communion with bare shoulders. I think the exact comment was- "is their a cocktail party later?" Ouch!

This is the dress I bought my daughter last year for her 1st communion

http://www.christianexpressionsupers...OD&ProdID=9554

I thought it was very reasonably priced and it's VERY nice quality.

I love Strasburg dresses for my daughter, and they always have a generous seam allowance so they're easy to let out for multiple years of wear. I will warn you though, at least for little girls, they tend to run big. There is a Strasburg store here in Houston at the Galleria, so if you'll be in town it might be worth a look (or even a special trip) so that you can try them on your daughter.

I don't know your price range, but if you are truly looking for the PERFECT, unique dress, regardless of price, this one is precious from Chasing Fireflies:

as is this one:

or this one:
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

Thanks Robin for starting this thread. My DD is going to be a flower girl in May and I've been told to find something I'm comfortable with. This thread has helped me find some good and affordable options that hopefully the bride will be happy with.

Wish I had something to add but this is way out of my normal shopping perimeters.

Kim

I saw a beautiful dress at Talbot's Kids last year when I was shopping for a flower girls dress for my daughter. It was a simple A-line, very elegant, but simple. It was too formal for the casual, outdoor wedding she was in, but my daughter tried it on anyway and I probably should have bought it for her communion in a couple of years.