Community Message Boards

Thread: Recommendation for FAST toaster?

Question Recommendation for FAST toaster?

Searched, & found old info on toasters but nothing related to speed. We'd like a toaster that doesn't make you wait forever on a busy school morning; any recom's for FAST toasters? My current one is so slow that you can practically go shower while you're waiting. Cuisinart has a fast one but it's really long & thin, & will be hard to store in my cabinet (typical 4-slice toaster, standard cube shape, is best but not a huge deal). The Cuisinart one has two really long slots: each can hold two slices of bread. It only has one push-down lever, and you can turn off one slot but I can see my kids forgetting to do that, & running the whole toaster when only half is being used. I'd prefer a trad'l 4-slice toaster whose claim to fame is speed (plus being a decent toaster, of course). Thanks!
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Bumpity bump . . .

(. . . and still waiting for this morning's toast to pop up! )

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    Bumpity bump . . .

(. . . and still waiting for this morning's toast to pop up! )
    LOL. I sympathize. Not a recommendation at all, but I bought the CR top-rated Avanti Elite toaster oven about a month ago. It makes fabulous toast and I love the broiling and oven functions, but, being digital, it shows a time countdown. An English muffin or bagel takes 7 minutes!!!!! I can walk the dog, read the paper, make the coffee, fry two eggs and nuke a couple slices of bacon, then turn to the back counter, and watch....1:59, 1:58, 1:57, 1:56. 1:55.... :mad:

Given my nature, I find this a very relaxing way to begin the day.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post
    Given my nature, I find this a very relaxing way to begin the day.

Bob

Actually this thread was a nice way to begin my day!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I've never actually timed it, but I love my Dualit toaster (I have the 2 slice, but they make a 4 slice, but it's the longer, thinner footprint I think)--it certainly doesn't seem slow. I can put in half a frozen bagel, and by the time I measure out my vitamins or hang out the birdfeeders, it's popped up and perfectly toasted.

I did notice that KA no longer carries the Dualit; they now have a D'longhi (sp) which they say came out on top in their performance testing. I still prefer my little guy, who looks like this (Amazon has them):

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post
    . . . then turn to the back counter, and watch....1:59, 1:58, 1:57, 1:56. 1:55.... :mad:
    (Reminds me of the old "Saturday Night Live" sketch [I think] with Belushi as an overweight Liz Taylor screaming "Hurry!!!!!!!!!!!" at the microwave. )

Maybe someone with a Consumer Reports or Cook's Illustrated membership will check in. I vaguely remember CI recommending a Krups in one of its issues, but the toaster info online is "premium content" only.

Here's the CI review:
    Toasters—Updated

Can You Buy Something Decent for Less Than $30?

This article appeared in the December/January 2006 issue of Cook's Country, sister magazine to Cook's Illustrated.

This is an update of the September 1994 article Building a Better Toaster.

You may also be interested in a Pyramid Toaster.

Look in any fancy catalog and you'll see some pretty expensive toasters. For $250, you can buy a lot of features -- pretty knobs, sleek design, vibrant color -- but in our experience that money doesn't necessarily buy you a good slice of toast. With such a seemingly reasonable goal in mind, we selected 12 two-slot toasters that ranged in price from $15 to $30 and put them to the test.

How they Work: Toasters use infrared radiation to toast bread. To produce that radiation, wires made of nichrome (an alloy of nickel and chromium) are wrapped around mica sheets on either side of the slot. The radiation is produced where the wire comes in contact with the mica sheet; the more wires, the more heat, the darker the toast. When you press the lever a timer is set; when the timer goes off, the slots are released and the toast pops out.

Even Coverage: The best toasters, we found, had a good number of wires (about nine per slot) that were evenly spaced, allowing for even toasting. Low-rated brands either had too few wires (which translated into spottily browned bread) or had wires that were clustered at the bottom of the toaster (which caused the bottom of the bread to burn).

Consistent Performance: Some models failed in this regard, turning out toast that was too dark immediately following a pair of perfectly toasted slices, or vice versa.

"Special" Features: Do you really need a special setting for pastry or waffles? No. We were equally unimpressed with the "bagel" setting found on many toasters. We did like the defrost setting, which defrosted and then toasted bread in one cycle.

Summing Up: We learned that extra features and fancy designs don't make a good toaster. The Farberware FST200 ($19.99) may not be much to look at, but it consistently delivered evenly brown toast, which really shouldn't be too much to ask. Unfortunately, for most toasters it is.

Highly Recommended

Farberware FST200
    Price: $19.99
    Comments: We were able to brown toast to five different shades, from no color to deep, dark brown. The plastic exterior stayed cooler than the exterior of any other toaster, and the defrost feature worked perfectly. One downside: With the controls on a long side, this toaster took up more counter space than most.

Recommended

Sunbeam 6253
    2-Slice Toaster
    Price: $29.99
    Comments: We were mostly unimpressed with the array of special features on this model (everything toasted just fine at the basic toast settings), though we did like "defrost" and "reheat," which warmed cold toast without adding more color.

Oster 2-Slice Toaster 6325
    Comments: Though the slots on this model were long, we did have some trouble with thick bagels. Consistency was good at all but the highest setting, but the exterior of the toaster got very hot. The defrost setting, however, worked well, and the settings were mostly distinct.

Black & Decker Classic Chrome 2-Slice Toaster T6000
    Comments: We were disappointed with the defrost feature on this model, which left bagels cold in the middle at all but the highest setting. Consistency, however, was mostly good.

Recommended with Reservations

Toastmaster Cool Touch Bagel Perfect TT2CT
    Price: $19.99
    Comments: Consistency was an issue with this model, as the bread sometimes had wide strips of white at the top or was spottily browned. Still, we were able to produce five distinct shades of toast for the five settings. The slots were just a bit too short, causing the bread to catch sometimes on the way down.

Hamilton Beach Classic Chrome Extra-Wide Slot Toaster 22559
    Comments: The higher settings of this model were much better than the lower ones, producing mostly consistent toast at varying shades of brown. The chrome got very hot, and the dial was difficult to read. Both "defrost" and "reheat," however, worked perfectly.

Not Recommended

Proctor Silex Cool-Touch 2-Slice Toaster 22450
    Price: $14.99
    Comments: While consistency was good with this model, we simply couldn't get dark toast in one cycle. Even at the highest setting, the toast was only golden brown. In addition, the bread barely fit into the slots and sometimes needed a little help going down.

Cuisinart Electronic Cool Touch 2-Slice Toaster CPT-120
    Price: $29.95
    Comments: Consistency was a serious problem with this model, which toasted bread more heavily on one side, and even that unevenness varied from batch to batch.

GE Classic 2-Slice Toaster 106808
    Price: $24.83
    Comments: We liked the large slots and excellent defrost and reheat features, but the toast was often spotty and uneven. Without a "cool-touch" feature, the exterior of this chrome model got very hot.

Rival Bagel Wide Cool Touch Toaster TT9270
    Price: $17.97
    Comments: The bread didn't quite fit into this toaster, so we often had to push it down to help it along. Three batches produced at the same setting were inconsistently toasted.
    If you want to see the 1994 article referenced, let me know...

CR also only tested 2 slice toasters, and the KitchenAid KTT340 ($50) came out on top, followed by the Oster Counterforms 6335 ($45), Proctor Silex Cool Touch 24450 (the CR Best Buy at $15), and the Krups FEM2B ($60). All of the really expensive toasters ended up in the bottom...

Thanks, Travelbug! I'll read this during lunch. (Not toasted. )

Testkitchen45, did you find a toaster? Am in the market for a new one after saying I hate my toaster one too many times.

I bought a deLonghi toaster oven because a friend of mine had one and loved it but I hate it.......whenever I put 4 slices in it, the two in the back are barely tan and the two in the front are way too dark........so, I think I will go with a Cuisinart next time.

Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post
    Testkitchen45, did you find a toaster? Am in the market for a new one after saying I hate my toaster one too many times.
    Never wanted to part with the cash for it, but King Arthur Flour sells one that they market as the fastest toaster ever. Maybe $75 or so? I couldn't end up justifying replacing a perfectly functional toaster, but if my current one dies, I'll go for the one at bakerscatalogue.com for the toasting speed. That's as far as I got.

Since Oster has one that was well reviewed above, I wanted to add my comments that we had one that we really liked. The bagel function quit working and we got another. It didn't work properly, so we got a third. The third one never toasted evenly. The most recent two out of three weren't anything I would recommend.

For our space, we needed the long slot and we found one made by Breveilli. It's near $100, but it seems anything we were going to consider was up there and more. So far, this one is doing well. It's so nice to have a slice toasted on the whole slide -- not burnt on one side and just dry on the other.

I'm glad this thread was bumped up. Our Oster Cool-Touch is quite old and will only last so much longer.
    I checked CR and their top rated is KitchenAid KTT340. I found reviews on Amazon that were quite mixed.
    The same goes for second rated Krups FEM2B reviewed here.
    The toasters I found on King Arthur Flour's website were both from Krups. The 2-slice model costing $100
    Nowhere was there any mention whatsoever of SPEED.
    I guess we'll hang on to the old Oster.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Question Any updated info on toasters?

Bumping this thread up . . .

. . . b/c my DH still hates our toaster, which we never did end up replacing, and I was hoping for recent ideas & recommendations. Baker's Catalogue doesn't sell the Krups so-called "fast" toaster any more, but a lot can change in a couple of years anyway, so bumpity bump for the thread!

My toaster is so slow and cool that it hardly heats the bread enough for the butter to melt. That's pathetic. It's like making toast over a light bulb, and I think DH has had enough. Who needs more microstress on a busy morning anyway?

So, toaster recommendations, anyone? Thanks!

I have to say I'm impressed with your patience. 2+ years looking for a faster toaster? Most regular 2-4 slice (cheap and expensive) toast pretty fast. The only one I had problems with was a convection toaster oven (I can't remember name). It had all the bells and whistles on it but why it was called a toaster oven baffled me. After a full 8 minutes in that oven I had to take the "hot bread" out and put it in a regular toaster!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh37 View Post
    I love my Dualit toaster
    I'm glad somebody was happy with the Dualit. I've been on a quest for a while to find a toaster that actually toasts. Browns evenly on both sides. I got the Dualit 2 slice from King Arthur based on their recommendation and have been quite disappointed. Not only is it slow, but it doesn't brown evenly despite their claims.

I am currently trying the Michael Graves 4-slice toaster that was recommended by CI. Ehhhhhh......

Bonnie

Cooking.com shows very good reviews for a Cuisinart Fast toaster. The foot print is long and narrow however...http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=624245
    Trish N.
    Omaha, NE
    "I'm not as sweet as I used to be" Ouiser Boudreaux - "Steel Magnolias" 1989

We have a DeLonghi toaster oven and it will toast a bagel to a nice golden color in 5 minutes. Normal slices of bread toast in around 4 minutes.
    We prefer toaster ovens as we do have somewhat limited counter space and a toaster oven is a multi-tasker.

This one is CI's current top rated toaster-- from Target.*

Michael Graves Design Hamilton Beach 4-Slice Toaster
    This toaster simply outperformed the others, producing evenly golden toast in test after test. The toaster’s carriage held all foods securely and prevented any possibility of items falling through or getting caught. Our sole complaint: This bulky toaster took up more counter space than we’d prefer.

I like the fact that you can do 2 at a time, but our main reason for getting a 4 slice was that many artisan breads are too wide for the smaller slots and we went with the Breville -- still happy with that one. I think any new toaster should be faster than what yu are using and will probbaly make you wish you'd gotten a new one a lot sooner.

*looks like they tested "inexpensive" models that were under $50 as the most expensive one listed was $49.99.
    Last edited by Beth; 01-09-2010 at 11:23 AM.

We just got the Michael Graves toaster and....it's OK. I like that it has 4 slots, but it's slow and it can have some inconsistent toasting. We use our toasters a lot and the last 2 have been cheapie 2-slice Sunbeam and Oster toasters and they were always consistent and fast.
    Blogging Fun
    Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. -Michael Pollan

Doesn't it seem crazy that something as simple as a toaster can't be reasonably priced and get consistently good results and reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer101 View Post
    I have to say I'm impressed with your patience. 2+ years looking for a faster toaster?
    No; it's more like 2+ years being irritated by it, and about 15 minutes looking for a better one.

I guess we've just reached our limit--or the toaster isn't working as well as it used to, which of course wasn't so great to begin with. Thanks for all the responses! If I end up finding one, I'll be sure to post back.