Community Message Boards

Thread: Ingredients in Chocolate Chips?

Ingredients in Chocolate Chips?

Does anyone have a package from Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet chocolate chips and/or Nestle Semi-Sweet chocolate chips?

I usually buy my chocolate chips and dump them in a larger container, and this one could have either Nestle or Ghirardelli chips in them. I need to know if there's any dairy in them, and I don't have a package to check with. Their websites certainly weren't helpful either.

I'm thinking they are simply unsweetened chocolate, cocoa butter, and sugar, but I have a dairy allergy coming to dinner, and I need to be certain.

TIA!
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Okay, never mind on the Nestle, that one does have milkfat in them.

Ghirardelli anyone?
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by mrswaz View Post
    Ghirardelli anyone?
    This is from the bittersweet 60% bag

Unsweetened chocolate, Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin and Vanilla.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

I buy semisweet Ghirardelli chips in bulk boxes (25#), and according to their ingredient label, they don't have any dairy in them. I'm hoping that the ingredient label is accurate. It's not so easy to find dairy-free chocolate chips. You really have to search.

I did some searching around for the specifics on the semi-sweet only and found this for Ghirardelli...

Semi-sweet chocolate (sugar, unsweetened chocolate, cocoa butter, soy lecithin - an emulsifier, vanilla). *May contain milk protein.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyinMN View Post
    I did some searching around for the specifics on the semi-sweet only and found this for Ghirardelli...
    :mad: May contain milk protein. May? What is that!

Thanks so much for your help Joe! I was thinking I'd make a run for the Ghirardelli if they proved to be dairy free, but I'm not going to take that chance since I'm pretty sure it's specifically the milk proteins she's allergic to.

The brownies will still be good, they just would have been better with the chocolate chips.

The next time I'm facing the chocolate chip aisle, I'll have to remember to do some label reading and see if any are okay.

I don't know if you have Kroger- but I just pulled out a bag of their Private Selection Organic Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips.

Ingredients:
    organic sugar, organic chocolate liquor, organic cocoa butter, organic soy lecithin (added as an emulsifier)
    contains: soy, may contain: milk

I assume they have to put the "may contain milk" part on there because they are probably processed in a plant where they also process chips using milk. I just looked at Scharffen Berger 75% cacao chocolate bar I have, and it has the same "warning", but it also includes nuts. If I had a mild allergy/stomach reaction to milk fats, I would probably eat these chocolates. But if it was a very serious allergy, I would be wary and seek out chocolate processed away from milk products.
    - Josie

No Kroger near me, but after spending a bit of time doing some research, I think I'm going to have to seek out a vegan source or two for chocolate chips. I do have a couple of local places to check out, otherwise I'll look for some online.

This is a newly diagnosed allergy for my friend, and her and her family are really struggling with it. I would love to be able to treat her to some real chocolate sometime.

http://www.veganessentials.com/catal...olate-bars.htm

if you have a 10,000 villages store near you - they sell some of the chocolate shown on that website
    - Josie

If you have a Whole Foods or any natural grocer nearby you should be able to dairy-free chocolate chips by Sunspire. I use their organic chips all the time and they are wonderful...I try and stock up when they are on sale. I bought about 12 bags right before the holidays at $2.50 a bag,,about half price.

www.sunspire.com
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org