Community Message Boards

Thread: ? about bottled ground fresh ginger

? about bottled ground fresh ginger

Many recipes that CL creates use bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World). Since I have never found Spice World at the grocery store...what is the equilavent? Ground ginger? Minced fresh ginger?

For example the Ponzu-Glazed Flank Steak recipe from CL December 2006.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Minced or grated fresh ginger is the same thing (well better in my opinion but the point being that bottled subs for fresh so fresh certainly subs for bottled).
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Hi, Tyra!
    I've never gotten the advantage of jarred ginger over fresh, but if it's more convenient, I'd pick up a jar of The Ginger People at Whole Foods or any natural foods or specialty foods store. I think it's around $1.79 for a jar that will last ages. CL does seem to reference Spice World frequently, but it means nothing to me. I'd look for this:

Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Trader Joe's has a bottled minced ginger. Since I started buying it a few months ago, I haven't had a single shriveled ginger root rolling around the bottom of my fridge I love the stuff.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Spice World is simply a brand, one that's pretty common but obviously not universal. CL recipes sometimes call for jarred ginger (or jarred garlic) for the sake of convenience -- to encourage people who might not buy fresh ginger or who wouldn't use it often enough to warrant buying fresh. You can always, always sub fresh. If you want to go the jarred route, just look for any brand. In the stores I go to, it -- and the garlic -- are usually in or near the produce section.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Thanks...I just wanted to make sure it was the equivalent of fresh ginger.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

It is the equivalent of fresh ginger. And while jarred garlic is (IMO) inferior to fresh garlic, I don't feel the same about the jarred ginger. I think it's the same as fresh in terms of taste.

And while some may not get the advantage of the jarred over fresh, I can tell you that I don't use ginger often enough to keep a knob around without it eventually going bad, and also, it IS a pain to peel it and grate it. Peeling and grating would take at least a minute or two to get one tablespoon, while the jar takes literallly 3 seconds to get a tablespoon out. If you only cook in a leisurely fashion, this might not be an issue, but when you're starving on a busy weeknight, 3 seconds is a big help. Not to mention it's not messy like peeling and grating ginger can be (the grater being just one more item to wash). So because for me there is no sacrifice in taste using the jarred, I will opt for easy every time.

Canice!

Thanks for the photo. This is a big help. I was recently griping here about that elusive ginger in a jar from Spice World (they seek him here, they seek him there).

Please, CL note that we're having a problem here. Could you kindly re-phares your ingredient list.

For anyone using lots of fresh ginger here is a tip: wrap the knob in paper towel, place in paper bag and refrigerate with your vegetables. It works for me.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Quote Originally Posted by swedish cook View Post

For anyone using lots of fresh ginger here is a tip: wrap the knob in paper towel, place in paper bag and refrigerate with your vegetables. It works for me.
    Or even better, pop the entire thing in the freezer, and peel and grate as needed. It lasts a loooong time that way, and it's so much easier to grate! I use a microplane, and there are no stringy bits like there are when it's not frozen...

Quote Originally Posted by leightx View Post
    Or even better, pop the entire thing in the freezer, and peel and grate as needed. It lasts a loooong time that way, and it's so much easier to grate! I use a microplane, and there are no stringy bits like there are when it's not frozen...
    No strings?! leightx, you got my attention - and I love my microplane.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam