Community Message Boards

Thread: cooking rolled oats

cooking rolled oats

I just bought rolled oats for the first time and did a search on how to cook them. The only thing i found is that they cook about 15 minutes. Now I need the water to oats ratio.

Thanks\

Laurie

Well, I'm confused because I have rolled oats and they only take about 6 minutes. Three on the fire and three off. quaker old-fashioned oats are rolled oats. Steel cut oats take longer to cook.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I did a bit of searching and it seems they do say that rolled oats take 15 minutes to cook. We have them every morning and I know that 1 cup of oats and 2 cups of water doesn't take 15 minutes from start to finish. I put the oats into the water then heat both together, reducing to low once it reaches a boil and cook for 3 minutes, at the most. Then turn of the burner and let sit for 3 minutes, covered. At the most it's 10 minutes. I suppose if you were making a big pot it would take a bit longer for the water to reach a boil.

I use a 2-1 ratio water/oats. I've stove top cooked them and I've microwaved them.
    I also use barley flakes and do the same thing.
    I look for texture/consistency more than I do actual time.

Microwaving takes much less than 1 minute.
    Stove top, no more than 5...
    I only have thick-cut, old fashioned oats...
    steel-cut is altogether different.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    I did a bit of searching and it seems they do say that rolled oats take 15 minutes to cook. We have them every morning and I know that 1 cup of oats and 2 cups of water doesn't take 15 minutes from start to finish. I put the oats into the water then heat both together, reducing to low once it reaches a boil and cook for 3 minutes, at the most. Then turn of the burner and let sit for 3 minutes, covered. At the most it's 10 minutes. I suppose if you were making a big pot it would take a bit longer for the water to reach a boil.
    sneezles, that's why it doesn't take you 15 minutes-- mine take about that because i make them by boiling water, adding the oats, bringing to a boil again and then cooking on medium till it's done.

(i never tried your method, but i will now!!!)

or, Laurielee, you can cover a bowl of oats with water, put a plate on top and stick it in the microwave for a mintue and 10 seconds-- then stir and add time in 10 second increments till it's done.

I like to make mine in the crockpot so it's ready when i wake up! i put it on high for an hour before bedtime, then stir and turn it to warm for the night, or else just put it on low before going to bed. I don't add extra water when adding in dried fruits or nuts-- the crockpot conserves moisture, so it doesn't need extra.

other options?

FYI in addition to boiling oats in water you can also "cook" them in milk in Cori's Muesli or the other muesli recipes on this muesli thread or fry them for a grain dish in place of rice, couscous, noodles, etc.; see this link for a tasty alternative: Golden Oats Medley
    Cheers! Andy

Okay, so I paid particular attention to the time this morning and it was 8 minutes, start to finish, on the stove.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if the ratio was the same as quick oats. I will try the microwave method since I am always looking for a short cut in the morning

Laurie