Community Message Boards

Thread: Corn Tortillas - uses other than enchiladas?

Corn Tortillas - uses other than enchiladas?

I bought a package of corn tortillas and made a batch of chicken and cheese enchiladas then a batch of black bean ones.

I am tired of enchiladas but would like to use up the tortillas. What else can I use them for?

Also - a related question - how do you heat your corn tortillas before you use them? the chicken enchilada recipe posted here from Joy of Cooking said to spray them with non stick, put them on a foil-lined pan, cover them with foil and heat for 5 minutes. This worked well but I was wondering if you could microwave them?

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Hi Loren,
    You can microwave tortillas no problem.

I use corn tortillas for regular tacos. I make a filling of ground beef and chorizo. Put some of that into a warm, soft tortilla (use microwave to warm them, you can even fry them is some oil til soft and pliable, not hard please).
    Add some shredded cheese of your liking, a bit of shredded lettuce and diced tomato and salsa of your choice. Garnish with a flourish of cilantro. Easy Peasy.

You can also fry corn tortilla strips, or bake them until they are nice and crunchy and use them as garnish in tortilla soup. Or cut into wedges, fry or bake til crunchy and enjoy with melted cheese and salsa. (Nachos!)

So many uses....

I love them for huevos rancheros and also migas!
    "This better be important! Is the frickin' meadow on fire?" -- Charlie the Unicorn

Tortilla soup is another use (as in a thickener in the soup while cooking, not just as a garnish as Hammster noted). Also, they freeze quite well for use later.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Jewel's Mexican Lasagna:

MEXICAN LASAGNA

2 lbs ground beef (or 3-4 cups cubed chicken)
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
    1-2 chipotle peppers, seeded and minced
    1 TBS Adobo sauce from can
    1 TBS minced garlic
    1 (2 oz) can sliced black olives (optional)
    1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    2 (14 oz) cans fat free refried beans
    1 (12 oz) bottle mild red taco sauce
    8-12 corn tortillas
    2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute ground beef in large skillet over medium heat until brown. (If using chicken, spray pan with cooking spray before sauteeing). Add onion, garlic and continue sauteeing for another 4-5 minutes. Drain fat from pan, and add olives, green chiles, chipotles, adobo sauce, tomatoes, refried beans and taco sauce. Mix thoroughly, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Spread a thin layer of meat/bean mixture in bottom of 13" x 9" pan. Cover with a layer of corn tortillas, cutting to fit when necessary. Spread a thin layer of the meat/bean mixture on the tortillas, the follow with a layer of shredded cheese. Repeat layers until all tortillas are used, ending with a layer of meat/bean mixture and cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly. Serve
    with sour cream, hot sauce, shredded lettuce and tomatoes.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I buy tortillas in a 100-count bag (for DH and me, it's not as though we have 8 kids or something...) and always find ways to use them before they dry out too much. To the above suggestions, I would add chilaquiles:
    http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/recipe_chilaquiles.htm

And if you don't have time to roll enchiladas, CL has a great recipe for a chicken enchilada casserole with a green sauce which I have made several times.
    I tried to find the recipe, and I know it's from an older CL issue, but can't locate the exact one online. I will type it up for you if you'd like.

I also made an enchilada casserole recently with a red sauce and ground turkey that was really good
    http://victoriasdays.blogspot.com/20...casserole.html
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

I only ever use corn tortillas- they taste so much better to me. I remember one of the rights of passage was being old enough to fry the tortillas in the pan of hot oil- my mom would buy them in Florida in tins (along with black beans, black bean soup, and Spanish bean soup)- our trunk was loaded!

I usually microwave mine- according to the directions on the pkg.

To use them- anything Mexican- tacos, burritos, Mexican eggs, CL makes a mexican breakfast casserole, nacho chips...

I also think they are great for a snack or breakfast spread with a bit of peanut butter and raspberry jam!
    Cheryl

they freeze perfectly, too.

chilaquiles,
    quesadillas,
    mexican-style lasagna,
    cut up in triangles, baked and seasoned as corn chips,

If I am in a rush and have no bread on hand, I'll use PB/honey on them and roll 'em up for snacking.
    You can use them for roll-ups, like ham/cheese, or turkey/cheese...etc..
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Quote Originally Posted by cherylopal View Post
    I usually microwave mine- according to the directions on the pkg.
    That was why I was asking - there were no microwave directions on the package - only the fry-in-oil directions.

The package also said that you could use them as corn bread - which I get now with the rollup ideas mentioned here.

Editing to add - if you freeze them, do you put piece of waxed paper in between so you can get them apart later?

Loren

I find that when they thaw they come apart just fine so I don't separate.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

While I pretty much use them as everyone else has already suggested, the CL Breakfast Tortilla Strata is a favorite I've made many, many times.

Bob

Breakfast Tortilla Strata

Putting this dish together and chilling it the night before gives the tortillas time to soak up the batter, which makes the strips puff when baked the next day.

1 cup bottled salsa
    1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    10 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
    Cooking spray
    1 cup (4 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat Mexican blend or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
    1 cup low-fat sour cream
    1 cup fat-free milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs
    2 large egg whites
    1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions

Combine salsa and beans in a bowl. Place one-third of tortilla strips in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with 1/3 cup cheese and about 1 cup salsa mixture. Repeat procedure with one-third of tortilla strips, 1/3 cup cheese, and remaining salsa mixture; top with remaining tortilla strips.
    Combine sour cream and next 4 ingredients (sour cream through egg whites); stir with a whisk. Stir in onions. Pour over tortilla strips; sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350.

Remove dish from refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes. Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Yield: 6 servings

CALORIES 292 (28% from fat); FAT 9.2g (sat 4.5g,mono 2.7g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 17.7g; CHOLESTEROL 93mg; CALCIUM 335mg; SODIUM 755mg; FIBER 4.7g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 36.5g

Cooking Light, MARCH 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    That was why I was asking - there were no microwave directions on the package - only the fry-in-oil directions.

The package also said that you could use them as corn bread - which I get now with the rollup ideas mentioned here.

Editing to add - if you freeze them, do you put piece of waxed paper in between so you can get them apart later?

Loren
    I freeze the package just as it comes from the store. I will then pop off as many as I need from the frozen stack. Wrap the stack in paper towels and zap for 30-45 seconds, just enough so that I can separate them. I prefer to heat on a dry comal, griddle or cast iron skillet (the same way I do flour but not as long, 10-15 seconds total) rather than in the microwave.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

breakfast tacos
    king ranch chicken
    anywhere you'd use a flour tortilla...I find subbing corn makes it tastier.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

I think they make the best quesadillas ever. Then again I use lard when I make quesadillas so I think they would taste good if I made them with shoe leather

I love making a hearty tortilla soup and serving it with half of a quesadilla sticking out of the top of the bowl. It is the best side ever (and I don't feel too guilty since my tortilla soup/vegetarian chili is full of veggies and low-fat).
    - Josie

Another thing I like when thinking about using them anywhere in place of flour tortillas is that they're so much smaller. So you can have a smaller portion of whatever you're making.

They're healthier, too, right, especially if you microwave them rather than fry them? Better than having all that white flour?

Loren

You can also use them as a "dinner" warmed up with some butter in the microwave when one has been out for a couple of glasses of wine and doesn't feel much like cooking when they get home. Don't ask me how I know that...

Kate

I've been eating more sprouted grain breads lately. I saw sprouted corn tortillas the other day from Food for Life. They were very good.

Sprouted Whole Kernal Corn "Taco Size" Tortillas (6in)

Different than most corn tortillas today, these unique tortillas are made from freashly sprouted 100% organic whole kernel corn. We use no corn meal or corn flour.

INGREDIENTS: Organic Sprouted Whole Kernel Corn, Filtered Water, Sea salt, Lime.

When making tacos, I put my tortillas on the grates of the gas burner and heat them for a few seconds, flip and do the other side, just enough to brown a little. Better than frying them! They get nice and crunchy!

You can also cut the tortillas into chips, place on a sprayed cookie sheet and brown in a hot oven, flip them over and toast the other side.
    Curleytop

Quote Originally Posted by Curleytop View Post
    When making tacos, I put my tortillas on the grates of the gas burner and heat them for a few seconds, flip and do the other side, just enough to brown a little.
    don't ever try this on an electric burner. i learned this one the hard way. i am smart.
    - Josie