Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you serve with Enchiladas?

What do you serve with Enchiladas?

I am making enchiladas for some out of town guests.

I need some input on what to serve with them. I was thinking some kind of rice dish?

Plus I need a dessert!!!

I am looking for some quick ideas, as I would rather spend my time visiting as cooking while they are here.

TIA
    Julie

What's in the enchiladas? Refried beans and rice would be traditional but honestly as heavy as enchiladas are (in a good way) I would lean toward a simple salad of mixed greens. There are great lime/cilantro based dressings out there.

Dessert wise when I serve Mexican I like to do chocolate with either coffee flavors or cinnamon or both. Otherwise I just pick my favorite chocolate dessert that I feel like making at that moment. I am making Mexican this weekend for guests and doing a sour cream chocolate bundt cake. I don't worry about matching much for dessert--in my experience most people are always happy with more European desserts and since I prefer them everyone is happy. For a more Mexican dessert though you could do flan, a tres leches cake, or one of a myriad of Mexican cookies (if you are interested I can root around--I am off to work out now).
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

I don't make enchiladas, but certainly eat my fair share in restaurants. In Texas Mexican food (or at least Tex-Mex) is considered a basic food group. Generally, enchiladas are served with rice and beans.

I feel there is enough starch from the tortillas that I just have a simple salad with enchiladas. You can make a tossed green salad or a spanish style salad of orange slices and pickled red onions. Both work well with enchiladas.

My enchiladas usually have beans, rice or spinach, always some cheese, but not much and I also serve them with a simple green salad or a jicama salad. For dessert I tend to want something with citrus (lime pie, margarita pie, etc) and/or a Mexican chocolate dessert depending on the situation. For everyday I just want something with fresh fruit, but for a more special occasion I do two-layer key lime pie or something with cinnamon and chocolate.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

If it were in season, I would recommend corn, sautéed with peppers. Not a fan of the frozen variety, though, so I would probably serve black beans. Not traditional, but I think sautéed zucchini with red onion and mushrooms is good, just a little salt and dried oregano.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Here are then enchiladas I was going to make. I have never made them, but I think they got rave reviews here on the board.

I am open for other recipes though, if you have a special one your family likes.

CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

1 16-ounce container light sour cream
    1 7-ounce can diced green chilies
    4 large green onions, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 cups diced cooked chicken
    2 cups packed grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)

8 8-inch-diameter flour tortillas
    1 8-ounce package light cream cheese, cut lengthwise into 8 strips
    1 1/2 16-ounce bottles mild picante sauce or salsa

Additional chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Mix 1 3/4 cups sour cream, chilies, green onions, 1/2 cup cilantro and cumin in large bowl. Mix in chicken and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Season filling to taste with salt and pepper.

Spoon generous 1/2 cup filling down center of each tortilla. Top filling with cream cheese strip. Roll up each tortilla, enclosing filling. Arrange enchiladas seam side down in prepared dish. (Can be made 3 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour picante sauce over enchiladas. Cover and bake until sauce bubbles and enchiladas are heated through, about 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese and bake until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.

Top with remaining sour cream. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.

Notice there are no beans or rice in the recipe I have posted.
    That being the case, if I make these I could do rice or beans on the side.

I was thinking about the mexican brownies someone posted here on the board. They are up for the Pillsbury Bake Off finalists. I have never made them either, though.

There is something scary about trying a whole new menu on out of town friends. YIKES!!!
    Julie

If you like cilantro, the Caesar Salad with Chile-Cilantro Dressing is really good. It's from CL a few months back.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetTooth View Post
    Here are then enchiladas I was going to make. I have never made them, but I think they got rave reviews here on the board.

I am open for other recipes though, if you have a special one your family likes.

CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

1 16-ounce container light sour cream
    1 7-ounce can diced green chilies
    4 large green onions, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 cups diced cooked chicken
    2 cups packed grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)

8 8-inch-diameter flour tortillas
    1 8-ounce package light cream cheese, cut lengthwise into 8 strips
    1 1/2 16-ounce bottles mild picante sauce or salsa

Additional chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Mix 1 3/4 cups sour cream, chilies, green onions, 1/2 cup cilantro and cumin in large bowl. Mix in chicken and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Season filling to taste with salt and pepper.

Spoon generous 1/2 cup filling down center of each tortilla. Top filling with cream cheese strip. Roll up each tortilla, enclosing filling. Arrange enchiladas seam side down in prepared dish. (Can be made 3 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour picante sauce over enchiladas. Cover and bake until sauce bubbles and enchiladas are heated through, about 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese and bake until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.

Top with remaining sour cream. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.

Notice there are no beans or rice in the recipe I have posted.
    That being the case, if I make these I could do rice or beans on the side.

I was thinking about the mexican brownies someone posted here on the board. They are up for the Pillsbury Bake Off finalists. I have never made them either, though.

There is something scary about trying a whole new menu on out of town friends. YIKES!!!

The brownies are Val's Mexican Crunch brownies, and they conveniently start with a mix, so they could be a time-saver. Having watched her prepare them on video, i say with confidence that any guests would love 'em.

I think plain buttered/broth cooked rice and refired or charra-type beans would be perfect sides-- people eat some of each instead of eating a huge platter of enchiladas alone. It's served together for a reason! Some greens or sliced peppers on the side wouldn't be bad either! Listen, scare yourself less by doctoring a couple cans of fat-free refried beans with cumn and lime juice, and cook the rice in chicken broth and garnish it with chopped peppers. you've got a restaurant quality meal going, and it won't be as hard as if you try to make every single item and garnish from scratch, usually my downfall with mexican-style meals.
    the recipe looks great.

I usually serve it with a black bean and corn salad. I don't really have a recipe, but I take a can of black beans, some roasted corn, cumin, mexican oregano, chili powder, red wine vinegar, red onion and olive oil. If I have cilantro, I throw that in too. Sometimes I add some jalapeno too.

I would also recommend a green salad. I absolutely love Mexican food (grew up in Tex), but really hate that when you go to a Mexican restaurant there is rarely a vegetable in sight.

The cool, crisp greens (w/a very simple dressing) is also a nice complement to the warm, spicy, cheesy enchiladas.

What about salad with a chipotle ranch style dressing? Or an avocado dressing?

I just grabbed this recipe off of a CL/My Recipes email, Mexican Chocolate Pots de Creme. I am thinking of making it next weekend for my houseguests especially considering that it can be made ahead of time.
    >^..^<

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    I would also recommend a green salad. I absolutely love Mexican food (grew up in Tex), but really hate that when you go to a Mexican restaurant there is rarely a vegetable in sight.

The cool, crisp greens (w/a very simple dressing) is also a nice complement to the warm, spicy, cheesy enchiladas.
    This bugs me too. I personally think it is a problem with Mexican restaurants in the US--I suspect in Mexico the meals look pretty different, especially at home.

That said, I am serving Mexican this weekend with no salad. However I am serving 2 taco fillings, both of which have lots of veggies so I am hoping that is good enough. (flank steak with peppers and onions and a zucchini stew dish served over shredded roasted chicken). Hmmm... now this is bugging me. Maybe I should ask DH to stop and get lettuce.

BTW, to me whether or not to make rice/beans would depend on how many were coming. If it is just 2 couples I especially would not bother with rice/beans. For a larger meal I would make the rice/beans (plus a salad) because then you will need more food to spread around anyway.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

WOW!!! so many choices.

There are just 5 of us for dinner - 3 guys and 2 gals. I am shying away from salad, mainly because it is on the menu the night before with lasagna.

I am planning on going to the grocery this weekend, so feel free to offer other ideas.

Thanks again!!!
    Julie

don't get me wrong - i LOVE enchiladas but I consider it against the rules to serve salad with enchiladas!

You can do refried blackbeans (not w/grease or fat) and I would do the rice. You don't have to make a ton of it.

Serve slices of avacado on the side w/some fresh tomato. I had that the other day at Arandas.

How about brown rice, and mix in some black beans & corn? Some sauteed chopped zucchini and/or peppers & onions would be good mixed into it as well.

I think Chicken Tortilla soup would be delicious as well! If you go light on the cheese, it won't be as heavy.

I totally understand about nixing the salad b/c you're having it the previous night & want variety.

It just reminds me of a funny story. FIL stayed w/us for 2 weeks last fall, and I cooked dinner each night. After about day 3 or 4 he said "wow...do you guys really have a salad every night w/dinner??" Yes! we do! (FIL & MIL don't eat very healthy, so this was a concerted effort on my part :-)

I noticed today that Chevy's website has a recipe for their Beans ala Charra which I really like....now that said-it starts with dried beans and not sure you want to deal with that!

I vote for rice and beans of some kind....as well though:-). The black bean salad sounds good too-I make that a lot!

Sheila in MD

Can someone give me a little better measurements on both the black bean and corn salad?

Luckylor could you give me some guesses on how much brown rice with black beans, corn, etc?

They both sound good, but I am not a good "throw stuff together" type of gal. I am great with a recipe, but "wingin' it" never works for me.

thanks!
    Julie

I make a black bean salad with rinsed canned beans, fresh or TJ's roasted corn (thawed of course), cilantro, diced red pepper, diced red onion and splashes of red wine vinegar.

The proportions are usually 1 can of beans to 1 cup of corn, 1 medium red pepper, 1/2 a red onion (because they're usually large) and literally splashes of the vinegar and a 1/4 cup or a handful of fresh cilantro.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetTooth View Post
    Can someone give me a little better measurements on both the black bean and corn salad?

Luckylor could you give me some guesses on how much brown rice with black beans, corn, etc?

They both sound good, but I am not a good "throw stuff together" type of gal. I am great with a recipe, but "wingin' it" never works for me.

thanks!
    here is our favorite bblack bean salad. it is absolutely tried and true, for almost ten years now we've made it! i would suggest that you double it, as it's delectable and keeps for a couple days-- keeps fresh-tasting, i mean, it'd be safe for a week. leftovers are wonderful drained and thrown into quesadillas or onto greens or rice or baked potatoes with sour cream.
    i use fresh garlic, about two cloves minced, instead of the garic powder, but that works too.

BLACK BEAN AND CORN SALSA

2 1-lb. cans salt-free or regular tomatoes, chopped and drained

1 1-lb. can black beans, rinsed and drained, or 2 C cooked black beans

1 C salt-free canned corn, drained ( I use frozen, thawed)

1/4 C EACHfinely chopped onion and celery

1 4-oz. can green chilies, mild or hot, drained and chopped

1 Tbsp red wine vinegar

1 tsp EACHground coriander and cumin

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 salt

pepper to taste or chopped jalapenos

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients, mixing well. Chill several hours or overnight. Serve cold with baked tortilla chips or vegetable dippers, or just in a lettuce-lined bowl. Makes 12 !/3 C servings.

** mari's notes-- add more coriander, salt and vinegar or lime juice to taste if needed. I always double this since the first time i made it, hoping to get some leftovers. happens occasionally.

I think roasted squash, onions, peppers, corn and/or tomatos would all work well with this dish. Tropical fruits are a very traditional Mexican desert - mango, banana, guanavana (sp?), pineapple and citrus are common. Untraditional, but something we enjoy are anaheim or pasilla (or other variety depending on heat tolerance of company) split lengthwise in 1 to 2 inch wide wedges, topped with queso, and roasted until lightly chared and cheese is 'melted'.
    Anne

since you're looking to save time, if you want to serve rice the Goya brand rice mixes are actually pretty good (Goya is a mexican brand so i tend to trust theirs more than other brand mixes). you can find it in the "international" aisle in your regular grocery store...

Quote Originally Posted by AdGirl View Post
    since you're looking to save time, if you want to serve rice the Goya brand rice mixes are actually pretty good (Goya is a mexican brand so i tend to trust theirs more than other brand mixes). you can find it in the "international" aisle in your regular grocery store...
    Agreed that Goya is good stuff. However they are not a Mexican brand. They are an American brand started by 2 Spaniards in Lower Manhattan, New York.

Interesting reading about Goya foods.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetTooth
    I am shying away from salad, mainly because it is on the menu the night before with lasagna.
    Not trying to necessarily steer you towards salad, but an orange, pickled onion and jicama salad with a nice tangy vinagrette is so hispanic and authentic.

I'm really lazy.

My favorite mexican side is currently sliced avacado with lime juice, salt, and pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammster View Post
    Agreed that Goya is good stuff. However they are not a Mexican brand. They are an American brand started by 2 Spaniards in Lower Manhattan, New York.

Interesting reading about Goya foods.
    well that's embarrassing! sorry for misleading i'm surprised that it's american, though, some of that stuff (esp the frozen sauce mixes) tastes so authentic that you'd swear it was!

thanks for setting me straight, hammster

Chi Chi's Corn Cake

The Corn Cake is really good from the All Recipes website. This always goes really fast when we have company. I've made this as a side dish with fajitas too.

Another good side dish is Black Bean Salad from the Food Network. I like this one especially because you saute the corn, peppers and onions.

CHI CHI'S CORN CAKE

Submitted by: SAUNDRA
    Rated: 4 out of 5 by 11 members Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cook Time: 1 Hour Ready In: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
    Yields: 10 servings

"With its satisfying coarse-but-moist texture and lightly sweetened flavor, this corn cake is more like corn pudding."
    INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup butter
    1/3 cup masa harina
    1/4 cup water
    1 1/2 cups whole kernel corn
    1/4 cup cornmeal 1/3 cup white sugar
    2 tablespoons heavy cream
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. In a medium bowl, beat butter with electric mixer until creamy. Add masa harina and water and beat until well combined.
    3. In food processor or blender, process corn in short pulses to coarsely chop. Leave several pieces of whole corn. Stir the processed corn and the cornmeal into the butter mixture.
    4. In a separate bowl, stir together sugar, cream, salt and baking powder until well combined. Stir sugar mixture into butter mixture and pour all into a 9x9-inch baking dish. Cover with foil.
    5. Line a roasting pan with a damp kitchen towel. Place baking dish on towel, inside roasting pan, and place roasting pan on oven rack. Fill roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove baking dish from water bath and let rest 10 minutes. Serve using ice cream scoop or large spoon.

BLACK BEAN SALAD FROM FOOD NETWORK KITCHENS

Dressing
    1 small clove garlic
    Pinch salt, plus 2 teaspoons
    Juice 1 1/2 limes (about 3 tablespoons)
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon chili powder
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Salad
    1 cup fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears)
    1 orange bell pepper, diced
    1/2 small red onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
    1 small hass avocado, halved, seeded and diced
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, leaves and stems

Make the dressing: Smash the garlic clove, sprinkle with a pinch of the salt, and, with the flat side of a large knife, mash and smear the mixture to a coarse paste. Whisk the garlic paste, lime juice, salt and chili powder together in a bowl. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a steady stream.
    For the salad: Cook the corn, bell pepper, and onions in the olive oil until beginning to brown over medium-high heat in a skillet. Toss in the black beans and cook until warm. Add the dressing and toss to coat evenly. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and gently fold in the tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro. Serve.

Edited because it's a duplicate.
    Last edited by peachesncream; 03-10-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: This is a duplicate post

I've been meaning to try this CL recipe for Roasted Corn, Black Bean and Mango Salad. It sounds so refreshing, and it has 5 star ratings. And, I like that includes salad greens. Here's a link:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=223498