Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO oil-only cookie recipes

ISO oil-only cookie recipes

Anybody have a good oil-only cookie recipe they'd care to share with me? (no butter, no shortening, no margarine) A tall order, I know. But I have three good, solid recipes so far so I know it can be done. I'm just not given to inventing my own recipes. I've made the Chocolate Crinkles from the Betty Crocker Cooky Book, as well as:

Mary's Ginger/ Molasses Cookies

and

Crunchy Sesame Cookies
    “the greatest risk of eating is getting run over on the way to buy your food, not from the food itself.”

Ian Shaw, Is It Safe To Eat?

my friend sadie (who sometimes posts on this BB) loved these. she is a chocolate chip cookie expert and loves "real" ccc's, but she thought these had both great taste and texture. she said you can't taste the olive oil. but just don't use extra virgin, or you surely will taste it. I bet vegetable oil would work, too.

CLASSIC CHOCOLATE CHIPPERS

* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 2 eggs
    * 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
    * 1 cup granulated sugar
    * 1/2 cup olive oil
    * 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
    * 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine flours, salt and baking soda.

In a large bowl, combine the eggs and sugars and beat using a handheld mixer until light and fluffy. Then add the olive oil and vanilla extract and continue to beat for another 2 minutes.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined. Add chocolate chips and walnuts.

Drop dough by rounded spoonfuls onto baking sheets. Leave about 3 inches between each.

Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, or until lightly browned. Allow cookies to cool 2 minutes on pans, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

Yield: 4 dozen cookies.

source: Olive Oil Baking by Lisa Shelton

Quote Originally Posted by valchemist View Post

source: Olive Oil Baking by Lisa Shelton
    I'll have to try those, thanks. Interesting that this comes from Olive Oil Baking--I have that book on my mental "look at this book" list the next time I visit a book store. I had wondered if there were cookie recipes.
    “the greatest risk of eating is getting run over on the way to buy your food, not from the food itself.”

Mark Bittman posted these Olive Oil Cookies on his blog. Looks interesting.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Here's an old favorite of mine from Betty Crocker's Cooky Book:

Stir-n-drop Sugar Cookies

3 egg whites
    2/3 cup vegetable oil
    2 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp grated lemon rind
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 cups flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt

Heat oven to 400F. Beat egg whites with fork. Stir in oil, vanilla and rind. Blend in sugar until mixture thickens. Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; blend in. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls about 2" apart on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten with oiled bottom of glass dipped in sugar. Bake 8-10 minutes or until a delicate brown. Remove from baking sheet immediately Makes 4 doz 2 1/2" cookies.

Almost every biscotti recipe I've made has only oil.

These are TO DIE for, IMHO.

Martha Stewart's Ginger Snaps:

1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. ground ginger
    1/2 tsp. ground cloves
    1/2 cup canola oil (I think i've cut the oil down to almost 1/3 and they were OK)
    1 egg
    1/4 cup molasses
    3/4 cup rolled oats

Preheat oven to 375
    1. mix dry; mix wet...combine the two
    2. place 1 oz blobs (makes very large cookies) on silpat or greased cookie sheets
    3. press down with back of a glass tumbler dipped in sugar
    4. bake about 12 minutes.
    cool on racks.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I was just going to recommend the same cookie that Wallycat posted above. It is a very good cookie. We like it alot here.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by potato_moose View Post
    Anybody have a good oil-only cookie recipe they'd care to share with me? (no butter, no shortening, no margarine) A tall order, I know. But I have three good, solid recipes so far so I know it can be done. I'm just not given to inventing my own recipes. I've made the Chocolate Crinkles from the Betty Crocker Cooky Book, as well as:
    Are the Chocolate Crinkles good? I'd be interested in the recipe if anyone has it available and/or it is not too much trouble.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ljt2r View Post
    Are the Chocolate Crinkles good? I'd be interested in the recipe if anyone has it available and/or it is not too much trouble.
    I thought they were very good, although I had to add a bunch of extra flour to get them to look like they do in the picture in the cookbook.

It's getting late tonight, but I can post the recipe tomorrow.

I'm trying to do the same thing - collect oil based cookie/dessert recipes - so I'm glad you started this thread!

We like these chewy cookies from Everyday Food:

Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
    Everyday Food Sept. 07

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
    1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350. In medium bowl, whisk together flours and baking powder. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture, and stir to combine; mix in oats and raisins.

Roll into balls, using 2 tablespoonfuls of dough for each; place on parchment lined cookie sheets, 1-1/2 apart. Flatten cookies a bit with bottom of a glass. Bake 13 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool cookies on sheets for a few minutes; then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 16-18 cookies.

Im not sure you want bar cookie recipes, but I decided to post this recipe because we love them:

Banana Bars
    Betty Crocker website
    Makes 2 dozen

These thin bars have a sweet cream cheese icing; taste even better the second day.

1 cup sugar
    1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2-1/2 medium)
    1/3 cup oil
    2 eggs
    1 cup flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Frosting:
    3 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of 13 X 9 inch pan with shortening. In large bowl, mix sugar, bananas, oil and eggs with spoon. In smaller bowl, mix dry ingredients; add them to wet ingredients. Spread in pan.

Bake bars 25 to 30 minutes or until they test done in middle. Cool completely (about 1 hour).

In medium bowl, combine cream cheese, butter and vanilla with mixer on medium speed. Gradually add powdered sugar with a spoon, until smooth and spreadable. (Add a bit of milk, if needed, to thin frosting.)

Spread with frosting. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store in refrigerator.

* Also, about Chocolate Crinkles. We love those. I follow the original recipe. The only thing Id point out is the batter needs to be chilled. The recipe said to chill for 3 hours, but I chill the dough overnight. That might be why someone felt the dough was too soft and needed more flour. Heres the recipe I use:

Chocolate Crinkles
    Betty Crocker Best Recipes for Cookies

2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use canola oil)
    4 ounces unsweetened chocolate (I use Bakers brand)
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    4 eggs
    2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Powdered sugar (about 1 cup)

Melt chocolate in a saucepan over very low heat; let cool. Stir in sugar, oil and vanilla. Mix in eggs, one at a time. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill well (overnight).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take dough out of refrigerator (if its too firm to roll into balls, let it soften about 15 minutes).

Spoon out dough and roll into balls 1-1/4 inches in diameter. Roll each cookie around in powdered sugar to coat. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or a greased sheet). You can press down lightly with fingers to flatten cookies a bit. Bake 12 minutes. Remove to rack to cool. Makes 4 - 5 dozen.

Thanks for posting the Chocolate Crinkles. Thanks for offering also potato moose.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

My favorite oil-only cookie is one of annagins' winners - from Eating Well's holiday cookie contest last year. I make them with whole wheat pastry flour instead of the ap flour.

eating well Blueberry & White Chocolate Chunk Ginger Cookies

Makes about 2 dozen cookies
    Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
    cup wheat germ
    teaspoon baking soda
    teaspoon salt
    teaspoon ground ginger
    1 large egg
    cup packed dark brown sugar
    ⅓ cup canola oil
    cup oats, quick-cooking or old-fashioned (not instant)
    2 ounces white chocolate, chopped
    ⅓ cup dried blueberries (see Tip)
    cup crystallized ginger, chopped (see Tip)
    eating well Blueberry & White Chocolate Chunk Ginger Cookies Ingredients Cont.

eating well Blueberry & White Chocolate Chunk Ginger Cookies Instructions

1. Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 375F.
    2. Whisk flour, wheat germ, baking soda, salt and ground ginger in a small bowl. Whisk egg, brown sugar, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients; stir to combine. Add oats, chocolate, blueberries and crystallized ginger; stir just to combine. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto 2 ungreased baking sheets, 1 1/2 inches apart.
    3. Bake the cookies until puffed and barely golden around the edges, switching the pans back to front and top to bottom halfway through, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on the pans for 2 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
    eating well Blueberry & White Chocolate Chunk Ginger Cookies Instructions Cont.

eating well Blueberry & White Chocolate Chunk Ginger Cookies Tips

Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.

Tip: Dried cranberries or cherries will also work in place of blueberries; all can be found, along with crystallized ginger, in the baking, dried fruit or produce sections of many supermarkets and natural-foods stores.
    eating well Blueberry & White Chocolate Chunk Ginger Cookies Tips Cont.

eating well Blueberry & White Chocolate Chunk Ginger Cookies Nutrition Information

Per cookie: 115 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 84 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.

1 Carbohydrate Serving
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Quote Originally Posted by peachesncream View Post
    Im not sure you want bar cookie recipes, but I decided to post this recipe because we love them:
    Absolutely! Those look great

Quote Originally Posted by peachesncream View Post
    * Also, about Chocolate Crinkles. We love those. I follow the original recipe. The only thing Id point out is the batter needs to be chilled. The recipe said to chill for 3 hours, but I chill the dough overnight. That might be why someone felt the dough was too soft and needed more flour. Heres the recipe I use:
    That was me. Actually, I things came up when I made them so the dough was in the refrigerator for a couple of days. I've had similar problems with the "No Knead" bread recipes. I'm thinking it's because I'm in the wet NW. Thanks for mentioning it, though.

These are great.

Triple Chocolate Cookies
    by Ellie Krieger

1/4 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup dark brown sugar
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1 egg
    1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
    1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
    1/3 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate (2 ounces)
    1/3 cup coarsely chopped milk chocolate (2 ounces)
    2/3 cup chopped pecans, optional

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    In a large bowl, mash together the butter and sugars with a fork until well combined. Add the oil and egg and beat until creamy. Mix in the vanilla.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. Stir in the dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and the pecans and mix well. Using a tablespoon, scoop the batter onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool.
    "Nobody likes beets, Dwight! Why don't you grow something that everybody does like? You should grow candy" -Michael Scott

Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies

Here's one I made up this weekend. There are two versions. The first is richer and more dessert-like, but still very wholesome. The second is lower in fat, higher in fiber, and tastes more like health food -- but in a good way! I actually kind of like the second one better, but the first one was more popular with my family.

1 cup white whole wheat or all purpose flour (4 oz)
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 large egg
    1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
    1/2 cup oats, old fashioned or quick (not instant)
    2/3 cup shredded or grated carrots
    1/3 to 1/2 cup raisins
    1/3 cup toasted, chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small bowl, thoroughly mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside

In a large bowl, mix together the oil, granulated sugar, dark brown sugar and vanilla. When well mixed, add the egg and orange zest and beat for another 20-30 seconds. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and stir until flour is absorbed. Stir in oats, carrots, raisins and nuts.

Using a cup measure, scoop up big mounds of dough they should be a bit larger than golf balls, but quite smaller than tennis balls.

Place on ungreased or Silpat or parchment-lined cookie sheets and bake for 20 minutes.

Makes 8 big cookies

Version 2

Low Fat Carrot Cookies

1 cup white whole wheat or all purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 large egg whites
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons prune puree (prune baby food)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
    2/3 cup oats, old fashioned or quick (not instant)
    2/3 cup shredded or grated carrots
    1/3 cup raisins
    1 oz toasted nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small bowl, thoroughly mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside

In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites. Stir in both sugars, prune puree, oil, and vanilla and orange. Add flour mixture and stir until flour is absorbed. Stir in oats, carrots, raisins and nuts.

Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop up big mounds of dough they should be a bit larger than golf balls. Place on parchment paper or Silpat lined cookie sheets and bake for 17- 20 minutes.

Makes 8 big cookies

Quote Originally Posted by annagins View Post
    Here's one I made up this weekend. There are two versions.

Low Fat Carrot Cookies
    Thanks for sharing your recipe with us! I'll have to try these on DH. He loves (sweet) carrot "anything."!

Here's three that I love (the Maple Walnuts are my fave) and well, my DH and friends too!

Homestyle Chocolate Chip Cookies
    Vive le Vegan

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 cup unrefined sugar
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/3 cup maple syrup
    1/4 tsp blackstrap molasses
    1- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/4 cup canola oil (a little generous)
    1/3 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. In a bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the sugar and salt, and stir until well combined. In a seperate bowl, combine the maple syrup with the molasses and vanilla, then stir in the oil until well combined. Add the wet mixutre to the dry, along with the chocolate chips, and stir through until just well combined (do not overmix). Place large spoonfuls of the batter on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and flatten a little. Bake for 11 minutes, until just golden (if you bake for much longer, they will dry out). Let cool on the sheet for no more than 1 minute (again to prevent drying), then transfer to a cooling rack.

Maple Walnut Cookies
    Vive le Vegan

1 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
    2 tbsp cup unrefined sugar
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 cup pure maple syrup
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1 tsp maple extract
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1/2 cup toasted walnuts, lightly broken or crushed (reserve some for top of cookies)

Preheat oven to 350F. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients, sifting in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda and stir until well combines. In a seperate bowl, combine the maple syrup with the extracts and the canola oil, then add the walnuts (reserving some) and stir until just well mixed. Add the wet mixutre to the dry, and stir through until just well combined (do not overmix). Place large spoonfuls of the batter on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place reserved walnuts on top of some of the cookies. Bake for 11 minutes, until just golden (if you bake for much longer, they will dry out). Let cool on the sheet for no more than 1 minute (again to prevent drying), then remove with a large spatula and transfer to a cooling rack.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
    Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan

3/4 cup + 1 tbsp spelt flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/2 cup quick oats
    1/4 cup unrefined sugar
    1/4 cup raisins
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 pinch allspice (or 1/4 tsp nutmeg)
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/4 cup pure maple syrup
    1/4-1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses
    1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/4 cup canola oil

Preheat oven to 350F. In a bowl, sift in flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add oats, sugar, raisins, cinnamon, allspice, and salt, and stir until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine syrup, molasses, and vanilla, then stir in oil to incorporate. Add wet mixture to dry and and stir until just well combined (do not overmix). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon batter onto baking sheet, evenly space apart, and slightly flatten. Bake for 11 minutes (no longer, or they will dry out), until lightly golden. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet for 1 minute (no longer), then transfer to a cooling rack.
    Cheryl

I went to the Betty Crocker website and found this recipe almost identical to the one posted by rlrobb, except this one omits the lemon rind and uses whole eggs; since I didn't have any lemons, I decided to make these. We really liked them. They have a nice vanilla flavor; you don't miss the butter that sugar cookies usually have. The recipe said to bake at 400, but I had better success at 375.

Stir-n-Drop Sugar Cookies
    www.bettycrocker.com

3/4 cup sugar
    2/3 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs
    2 cups flour
    Additional sugar, for dipping a glass into, to flatten cookies

Heat oven to 375 (recipe called for 400). In large bowl, mix the 3/4 cup sugar, oil, baking powder, vanilla, salt and eggs with a whisk. Stir in flour.

Drop by half-tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet (I used parchment paper on the sheet). Using the bottom of a glass dipped in additional sugar; press 1/4" thick. Dip the glass really well into the sugar, because the dough is sticky.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes until the bottoms of cookies are lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack and cool completely. Makes 3 4 dozen.

Heres another oldie but goodie from Betty Crocker. They have some calories from the dates and nuts, but no shortening, butter or oil. They are rich (cut them into small squares) and addictive. I usually omit the powdered sugar.

Date-Nut Squares
    Betty Crocker Best Recipes for Cookies

2 eggs
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups cup-up dates
    1 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)
    Optional: Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 X 9 inch square baking pan.

Beat eggs until light and lemon colored. Beat in sugar and vanilla. Blend in flour, baking powder and salt, then stir in dates and nuts. Spread in the pan.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

Optional: Roll cooled squares in powdered sugar.

* If using a dark baking pan or glass dish, you might want to reduce the temperature by 25 degrees.

Here's another oatmeal cookie recipe. This one is from Olive Oil Baking by Lisa Shelton. DD and I made them tonight -- against my better judgement, I didn't use parchment paper for these. Won't make that mistake again!!

I didn't use walnuts, but did use 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips.

Oatmeal Drop Cookies
    Olive Oil Baking by Lisa Sheldon

1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I used white whole wheat)
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    3/4 cup light brown sugar
    1-1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
    1 TBSP molasses
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 egg, beaten
    2 TBSP water
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
    1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.

In a medium bowl, combine flours through ginger. Stir in the brown sugar and oats.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add molasses, olive oil, egg, water and vanilla. Stir vigorously until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in raisins, walnuts and chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 13-15 minutes or until done, rotating cookie sheets halfway through baking time. Remove cookies to wire rack immediately to cool.

Makes 2.5 to 3 dozen.

I tried this recipe today and really liked them. This was posted by kimmer99 in a thread on Christmas cookies. I printed it out to try because it used oil (and my old ginger cookies recipe calls for shortening). These are easy, good, and healthier:

Mary's Ginger/Molasses Cookies

2/3 cup safflower oil (*I used canola oil)
    1 Cup Sugar
    1 egg
    4 Tablespoons molasses
    2 Cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ginger
    2 teaspoons baking soda (* I used 1-1/2 tsp., to match my old recipe)
    1/4 Cup sugar for rolling

Bake @ 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Combine oil and 1 cup of sugar; add egg and beat to blend. Stir in the molasses. Add the flour and other ingredients except the last 1/4 cup of sugar.

Roll spoonfulls of cookie dough into balls and roll in the 1/4 cup sugar to coat. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake. (I used parchment paper lined cookie sheets.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kimmer99's NOTES : Be sure not to overcook these or they wil be hard. If cooked just right you will have a nice soft center with a slightly crisp outside. The cookie should have cracks all over the top when it is complete.

I just realized that Mary's Ginger/Molasses Cookies are mentioned in the first post in this thread - DOH! That is probably why I printed it out in the first place.

Anyway, they are good!!

My 80yo dad just came home from the hospital after emergency triple by pass surgery.

He is 6'1" and only weighs 144 pounds so he needs to gain a little weight. No butter, eggs, etc.

Any other vegetable oil only cookies out there?

I haven't found any other oil-only cookie recipes, but if your Dad needs to gain weight, you might try these, as they are fairly calorie-dense:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/pe...ergy_bars.html

Pine Nut Cookies

1/2 C sugar
    1/2 C confectioner's sugar, plus more for dusting
    1/4 C AP flour
    8 oz. almond paste (or 1 C almonds, ground)
    2 egg whites, lightly beaten
    8 oz pine nuts

Preheat the oven to 300 F degrees.
    Lightly grease two large baking sheets ( or use silpats). In a large bowl, sift the sugars with the flour and set aside.
    In a medium bowl, mix the almonds or almond paste with the egg whites using a wooden spoon. if using paste, you may need a fork or egg beater to break it up. When egg mixture is smooth, add it to the flour mixture, and mix until well blended.
    Drop mixture by rounded teaspoons 2 1/4 inches apart onto greased cookie sheets. You should have rounds about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. top each cookie with 1 tsp or more of the pine nuts and lightly press them in to the dough. bake about 20-25 minutes, until golden. Place on a wire rack to cool. sprinkle with more confectioner's sugar. Makes about 1 dozen cookies.

From Sicilian Vegetarian Cooking, 99 more recipes to love, by John Penza.

**you can subsititute a scant cup of raw almonds, ground to dust, for the almond paste and it will be good, but just slightly gritty to the teeth. i usually do this, and prefer it in fact.

@tigermorris-- glad your dad is in recovery, anyway-- don't forget about smoothies made with heart-healthy nut butters. they can help put on healthy weight.
    Last edited by heavy hedonist; 09-25-2009 at 02:08 PM.

I have a new favorite that only uses oil: Barefoot Contessa's Ultimate Ginger Cookies. I did not add the crystallized ginger, however. I used C.C.'s (~1/2 c.) instead and increased the dried ginger a bit as I do not care for crystallized ginger, but love the chocolate ginger combination. They were REALLY good! From the reviews over at TV Food Network, the people that did use crytallized ginger thought that it was a bit too much and recommended cutting the quantity called for by half.

ULTIMATE GINGER COOKIES
    Barefoot Contessa

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
    1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
    1 1/4 cups chopped crystallized ginger (6 ounces)
    Granulated sugar, for rolling the cookies
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and salt and then combine the mixture with your hands. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the brown sugar, oil, and molasses on medium speed for 5 minutes. Turn the mixer to low speed, add the egg, and beat for 1 minute. Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula and beat for 1 more minute. With the mixer still on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the crystallized ginger and mix until combined.

Scoop the dough with 2 spoons or a small ice cream scoop. With your hands, roll each cookie into a 1 3/4-inch ball and then flatten them lightly with your fingers. Press both sides of each cookie in granulated sugar and place them on the sheet pans. Bake for exactly 13 minutes. The cookies will be crackled on the top and soft inside. Let the cookies cool on the sheets for 1 to 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 16 (I made smaller ones, my yield was ~30.)

Karen

I'm adding this recipe to this thread as I have just seen it come up as a reference from *this Dec. 2010 thread about cookies with oil* and I have made these cookies with oil or with butter and saw little difference - either version was well-liked here. I was a bit surprised as butter in cookies is pretty much a given for me. These are good cookies (if you love cardamom).

btw I did post this recipe in it's own thread previously.

from http://desertcandy.blogspot.com/2007...t-cookies.html

Kleeja (Cardamom-Wheat Cookies)

3 cups whole wheat flour.
    1/2 cup vegetable oil or 9 tbl melted butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup milk
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons ground cardamom
    1 egg beaten with 2 tbl water, for glazing

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 2 baking sheets or line with parchment. Combine sugar and milk in small pan, stir over heat without boiling until sugar dissolves, set aside to let cool.
    2. Combine flour with baking powder, salt, cardamom in a bowl. Mix in the oil/butter until crumbly and well combined, then add egg, sugar and milk, mix well to form a dough. Set aside to rest for 15 minutes.
    3. Roll out the dough with a floured rolling pin (you do not need to flour your work surface) to 1/4" thick. Cut out rounds with a biscuit cutter, rerolling until all the dough is used. Make a cross-hatch pattern on the cookies with a knife if desired. Transfer to baking sheets and brush the cookies with egg wash. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until just golden and firm on top (the bottoms will brown, but keep an eye that they don't burn). Cool on a rack, store in a cookie tin.

Mercedes’ note: The recipe came to me with vegetable oil, but I suspect that is because of the recent sanctions in Iraq when oil was part of the food rations while butter was more expensive. (technically, it would be made with samne, clarified buuter) I have made the recipe both ways, and I find there is little difference. I actually prefer the vegetable oil because it's easier and I find the texture is a tiny bit more crumbly when made with butter. Also, because the cardamom is the overwhelming flavor, the butter flavor doesn't make much of a difference. I included the butter version because I know there are some purists out there who will prefer it. I should have put a note in the recipe as to my reasoning.

Andy’s note: I seed about 20-22 green cardamom pods which gives 2 tsp (gently packed) after grinding the seeds. After mixing the ingredients to form the dough I scrape it out onto the counter and knead it for a minute then wrap it in plastic wrap and leave out on the counter. You really don't need to flour your counter or pastry board when rolling the dough out. The cookies don’t spread much when baked, and I easily get 24 on a large cookie sheet with a Teflon baking liner. At 350F they took about 12 to 13 minutes to bake. I get about 72 cookies (rolled 1/4") using a 1-7/8" scalloped cookie cutter. The glaze adds a nice sheen to the baked cookies.
    Cheers! Andy