Community Message Boards

Thread: Nonfat Dry Milk- when is it too old?

Nonfat Dry Milk- when is it too old?

I found some powdered nonfat dry milk in my pantry that I believe I've had for quite awhile. How long can you keep it before it goes bad? Maybe I should just throw it out, but its one of those recipe ingredients I never seem to have on hand!

It does get old. There should be a date on it somewhere. Otherwise, just smell it. You will know if it's bad. It smells really yucky when it's bad.

Hmm, they're in separate packages and I've thrown away the box so no date. I suppose I'll just toss them. Thanks!

It will keep for a very long time. I used some recently that I believe was about a year old. Maybe older. Do you have any idea how old it is?

Hehe, no. I take that as a bad sign I'd say a year is probably good, though it may be older than that - maybe 2 years?

Do you still have the dry milk? Did you use? I think the dry milk will still be usable.

When you search for dry milk shelf life, you find lots of info regarding long term storage for an emergency. Seems like as long as it was stored properly (unopened container, cool location) it can last at least 24 months.

It never occurred to me that it had a fairly short shelf life. I think I probably buy the stuff every two years or so--eek, maybe longer-- and I've never had a problem. I do store the packets in a tupperware container, if that makes a difference.

Kristi
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

No, I purchased them for a baking recipe awhile back. I haven't come across any new recipes that require it...and I still haven't thrown it away though I said I would The box came with individually packaged portions, so at least its not powdered milk sitting in an already opened box.

If anyone has any recipes using powdered milk, I can experiment!

Really, it does eventually go bad. I keep it around for baking too, and you know when it's bad - no experimentation necessary. Just open it, mix some with some water and smell it. You will KNOW!

It has happened to me on more than one occasion and it always makes me mad. I buy powdered milk for some recipe, have a bunch of envelopes left and then a year or two goes by and I have need of it again, open it and smell how AWFUL it smells and have to throw it out. :mad:

I can't tell you exactly the time frame it goes bad, I just know it does since it's happened to me more than once. Smell it. You will know.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Really, it does eventually go bad. I keep it around for baking too, and you know when it's bad - no experimentation necessary. Just open it, mix some with some water and smell it. You will KNOW!

It has happened to me on more than one occasion and it always makes me mad. I buy powdered milk for some recipe, have a bunch of envelopes left and then a year or two goes by and I have need of it again, open it and smell how AWFUL it smells and have to throw it out. :mad:

I can't tell you exactly the time frame it goes bad, I just know it does since it's happened to me more than once. Smell it. You will know.
    Ok, to put my curiosity to rest, I opened the envelope....and it smelled, well not bad, just dairy-ish. Since I have no use for it in the near future, I tossed it!! It's good to know that these things do go bad, and hopefully this will be a lesson to me to write down expiration dates when I throw away outer packaging. Thanks for the advice!