Community Message Boards

Thread: "That 'new-oven" smell"

"That 'new-oven" smell"

Is it typical for an oven to STINK the first time it's used? Kind of chemically/plastic-y/industrially stink? Even after you went back and removed the foam liner from the door ? (Which you did only when you went out and found your "preheating" oven stone cold - so it isn't THAT.)
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Yes. In fact, most ovens I've had new will tell you to wipe down the interior and do a burn off to get rid of any residual oils before baking or cooking in them. The ones I just got had a 1 hour at 500 cycle follwed by a slow cool down and even with the wipe down, there was still an oily smell. Which is quite different form the electrical burning smell the departed ovens had.

Oof, guess I could have taken a look at the owner's manual, no? It just didn't occur to me.
    I didn't do quite so comprehensive a "burn" as what you described, but I did let it go, at increasingly high temperatures, for about 40 minutes, but no wipe-down. I was just making a little garlic bread (some inaugural use!) so fortunately, that smell quickly overtook anything else the oven may have been emitting .
    But TG I messed up setting it the first time, or that foam liner would have cooked and melted all over . I opened the oven to feel how warm it was (Seattle on an April morning) and noticed all that foam taped in. Ack-ack-ack!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt