Community Message Boards

Thread: What can I do with all this leftover cooked cabbage? ISO soups and more!

What can I do with all this leftover cooked cabbage? ISO soups and more!

I would love to make a soup with some of my leftover cooked cabbage - do you have a T&T recipe? I can't decide if a chicken broth or tomato broth would go better.

But I have a ton of leftover cooked cabbage, despite buying the smallest head in the store. No one eats it but me. Are there any non-soup recipes that would use up already-cooked cabbage?

TIA!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I'd go with chicken broth.

I coworker's husband made the group a cabbage soup that was simple and tasty. I wouldn't have expected cabbage soup to be so good. It was served with toasted swiss cheese sandwiches. I'm sorry I don't have a recipe but it might be worth the search.

I didn't have much cabbage left over, just a decent sized chunk, so I think I will throw it in whatever my next soup is. Maybe barley.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

As a native Nebraskan, I immediately thought of one of my favorite foods from childhood: Runzas! I found a basic recipe on line - you could make it simpler by using frozen bread dough.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Runza-m...es/Detail.aspx

Now I'm going to have to make them soon....

I have never heard of a Runza but they sound similar to pasties. There is no cabbage in pasties, instead, potatoes. They sound really good!

eggrolls or noodles and cabbage or both !

Viva e lascia vivere - - - Live and Let Live

Potato (and cabbage) pancakes?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I have the same dilema - I was thinking cabbage rolls, but I think I cut my wedges too small for them to be able to roll up anything in.....I'll be watching this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by ctd1103 View Post
    I have the same dilema - I was thinking cabbage rolls, but I think I cut my wedges too small for them to be able to roll up anything in.....I'll be watching this thread...
    You could always make an unstuffed cabbage casserole, layering all your ingredients rather than stuff the piggies.
    I have two wedges left and was going to add some to the kielbasa stew I had frozen. I also am going to do this recipe:
    Creamed Cabbage:
    Cut up cabbage into medium size pieces.
    Parboil for 5-10 minutes.
    Drain.
    Place in greased baking pan.
    Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
    Place slices of Velveeta over cabbage.
    Sprinkle cheese with bread crumbs.
    Sprinkle garlic powder and thyme over crumbs.
    Bake in 350 oven for 20 min.

Last night I made Cabbage Gratin from CL. It was good but a bit bland. It is light because there's not too much cheese! Maybe some garlic would help but overall I really did like it.

Even though it calls for raw cabbage and carrots, you saute them before going on to the rest of the recipe so I just sauteed the onions and then mixed in cooked chopped cabbage and the rest of the cooked carrots that were also from our boiled dinner.

Cabbage Gratin

Vegetable cooking spray
    4 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
    1 cup coarsely shredded carrot
    1/2 cup sliced green onions (used regular yellow onions)
    1 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) Gruyère cheese (used 75% Cabot cheddar b/c that's what I had)
    1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds (omitted these - didn't have)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs, lightly beaten (used 2 egg whites total)
    1 egg white
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

Coat a small saucepan with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Add cabbage, carrot, and green onions; sauté 7 minutes or until tender. Spoon cabbage mixture into a 10 x 6-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (milk through egg white) in a medium bowl; stir well. Pour over cabbage mixture. Combine parsley and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over cabbage mixture. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)

CALORIES 91 (38% from fat); FAT 3.8g (sat 2g,mono 1.6g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 7.4g; CHOLESTEROL 117mg; CALCIUM 159mg; SODIUM 200mg; FIBER 2g; IRON 1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 7.5g

Cooking Light, JANUARY 1996

Cabbage and noodles was my first thought. We have an easy potato cabbage soup that is warm and comforting. I make it at least once a year. Here's the recipe, easily adapted to meet your needs, I think.

Cabbage Potato Soup

Simmer 1 small head cabbage shredded and 1 medium onion sliced in 1 quart chicken broth. In another quart of broth, simmer 4-5 carrots and 3-4 potatoes, chunked.

When all is fork tender, drain broth from carrots and potatoes into the other pot. Mash potatoes and carrots with 1/2 pint sour cream and add to broth slowly to avoid curddling. Stir continuously. Salt and pepper to taste.

This just came via email from SparkPeople and I thought about this thread. I'd just wait till the end to add cooked cabbage.

Cabbage Vegetable Soup

Serves: 12

Brought To Your Kitchen From SparkPeople Member: LBBROCK195

INGREDIENTS
    1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
    1 medium onion, diced
    3 stalks celery, diced
    3 medium carrots, diced
    1 head cabbage, shredded
    1 (14.5 oz.) can green beans
    1 (12 oz.) can sweet yellow corn
    1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans
    soy ground "beef" (optional, not included in nutritional information)

DIRECTIONS
    1. Place tomatoes, onion, celery, carrots, and cabbage in a pot, simmer over medium heat until tender.
    2. Add canned vegetables. Heat.

NUTRITION INFO
    Calories: 125
    Fat: 0.9 g
    Carbohydrates: 26.4 g
    Protein: 6.4 g
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Cabbage pancakes, eh Canice ? Can you elaborate on that?

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    You could always make an unstuffed cabbage casserole, layering all your ingredients rather than stuff the piggies.

hey! this is a great idea! thanks for sharing!!!

CL's Pork Schnitzel recipe a while back had a cabbage and noodle side with it. It was basically cabbage, egg noodles and light sour cream.....oh my, so yummy!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

How about CI's stuffed potatoes...

Twice-Baked Stuffed Potatoes with Bacon, Cabbage, and Cheddar

Tender savoy cabbage in our first choice, but the soft outer leaves from a head of regular green cabbage can also be used.

4 russet potatoes (8 to 9 ounces each), scrubbed and dried
    vegetable oil
    8 strips of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    3 tablespoons butter (melt 2 tablespoons)
    6 cups savoy cabbage (about 3/4 pound) cored and sliced into 1/2- by 1-inch pieces
    table salt
    2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
    6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese , shredded (2 cups)
    3–4 scallions , sliced thin (about 1/2 cup)
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup half-and-half
    ground black pepper

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 400 degrees. Scrub, dry, and lightly rub 4 russet potatoes (8 to 9 ounces each) with vegetable oil. Bake potatoes on foil-lined baking sheet until skewer can be inserted into and removed from potatoes with little resistance, 60 to 70 minutes (do not turn oven off). Cool potatoes on baking sheet about 10 minutes.

2. While potatoes are baking, fry bacon in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate; pour off all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat. Add 1 tablespoon butter to bacon fat; heat over medium-high until melted, then add cabbage and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage begins to wilt and is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, cover, and cook until crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes; uncover and continue to cook until water evaporates, about 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl and stir in vinegar.

3. Halve each potato lengthwise. Using soup spoon, scoop flesh from each half into bowl, leaving about 3/8 inch thickness of flesh. Place shells cut-sides up on baking sheet and return to oven until dry and slightly crisp, about 10 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, mash potato flesh with fork until smooth; stir in melted butter, cabbage, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup bacon, 1 cup cheese, scallions, sour cream, half-and-half, and pepper to taste.

5. Remove shells from oven; heat broiler. Mound filling into shells; sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon and broil until spotty brown, 6 to 10 minutes. Cool 5 minutes; serve.